IGNORED

VCV Rack - open source virtual modular

th555

Hey thanks a lot. Yeah, it's just me messing with the some of the knobs and recording it into audacity, really. Then I cut up the parts I liked. Took about 10 minutes but the patch was done yesterday and today. 

Here's the file: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0k6wmrz9ixt77sr/kuto1.vcv?dl=0

It may be a little laggy. Something that's good to know is that I have no reservations about working with digital modular, so I don't use it as if it's a real modular rack. I make as many modules as I need that I can use in a free-flowing, stream of consciousness way. Like no one should have that many Braids modules, but lol, that's the way of PC, baby.

I do want to experiment with what I can come up with with a realistic rack setup though. I still dream of owning a physical setup...

Hey thanks a lot. Yeah, it's just me messing with the some of the knobs and recording it into audacity, really. Then I cut up the parts I liked. Took about 10 minutes but the patch was done yesterday and today. 

Here's the file: 

It may be a little laggy. Something that's good to know is that I have no reservations about working with digital modular, so I don't use it as if it's a real modular rack. I make as many modules as I need that I can use in a free-flowing, stream of consciousness way. Like no one should have that many Braids modules, but lol, that's the way of PC, baby.

I do want to experiment with what I can come up with with a realistic rack setup though. I still dream of owning a physical setup...

hey thanks!

btw how  do you record it on audacity? i'm asking this because in win7 the option in your volume control panel to select internal recording doesn't exist anymore, i use and app called virtual cable which let's me record the internal pc sounds...

It's not right here for you? I have Windows 7.

http://i.imgur.com/SAJiBAY.png

Maybe I have a different version of Audacity or maybe it's a soundcard thing or related hardware and/or routing issue?

I'm running Audacity 2.1.2 if that helps at all.

Edited by drukqs

It's not right here for you? I have Windows 7.

http://i.imgur.com/SAJiBAY.png

Maybe I have a different version of Audacity or maybe it's a soundcard thing or related hardware and/or routing issue?

I'm running Audacity 2.1.2 if that helps at since i'm using ASIO4all it doesn't have that option, let me try audacity, thanks!

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

My ancient laptop's built in graphics card is unable to cope with this. Maybe it's time to upgrade.

i'm having troubles with ASIO4ALL and my Alesis io2 running the project that drukqs shared... i have to set the buffer size to 2048 samples and it still makes some crackling sounds... :( and it's not a very complex project despite the fact that is a pretty cool one!

What GPU do you have, as Gocab mentioned above if it's an integrated CPU/GPU (a la the Intel video devices) then it'll get heavily throttled by the GUI (it's meant to get offloaded to a seperate GPU)

It won't even start, apparently there's no opengl 2.0 driver/support. I'll try to look into it.

What GPU do you have, as Gocab mentioned above if it's an integrated CPU/GPU (a la the Intel video devices) then it'll get heavily throttled by the GUI (it's meant to get offloaded to a seperate GPU)

amd mobility radeon hd 5000 series... btw what's the diference between GPU and GUI? GPU is the processor unit at the center of a GUI? i guess not... tried reading the wiki but didn't really got the diference... do you think maybe updating the GUI drivers to the latest version will make a diference? or installing all those openGL and directX wtfs? Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Ah you should be probably be OK then as it's separate graphics card, though the card nearly a decade old so may a bit of a bottleneck (updating the graphics card can't hurt mind). It could just be that your system needs a bit of an update - VCV is a bit processor intensive (less so than early builds but apparently is still being worked on for v1.0)

CPU is the main sysyem processor, GPU is a separate processor (on yer GFX card) to offload graphics rendering - freeing the CPU to do other stuff.

updating the graphics card can't hurt mind

you mean the actual graphics card or the drivers, i have the latest drivers though...

It could just be that your system needs a bit of an update

when you say system you mean software updates or hardware?

CPU is the main sysyem processor, GPU is a separate processor (on yer GFX card) to offload graphics rendering - freeing the CPU to do other stuff.

ahhh so i did get it at first... :)

thanks for the help!

you mean the actual graphics card or the drivers, i have the latest drivers though...

Mmm if you've the latest drivers then I think not much more can be done than a bit of a hardware upgrade. Judging from the 4 gig of ram, 2009 graphics card and running Windows 7 I'm guessing the system is getting on a little ?

Mmm if you've the latest drivers then I think not much more can be done than a bit of a hardware upgrade. Judging from the 4 gig of ram, 2009 graphics card and running Windows 7 I'm guessing the system is getting on a little ?

lol how do you know i have 4GBS ram?

it's getting a little? old? yeah definitely...

when i minimize vcv it runs fine, hehe...

btw, should i upgrade to win10??? i mean, i use my dad's laptop once in a while and it's way slower than mine... well, i keep mine pretty tidy while he installs every goddamn thingie that the internet offers so that might be the reason...

i also don't use win update never... installed a clean win7 second pack and never installed any updates, every time i installed updates in the past my laptop would get way slower...

Slightly off topic, but thanks everyone for your comments regarding Reaktor 6 and its ability to bring systems down. I was considering upgrading my Komplete package to the one with Reaktor 6. I won't bother now.

It's not bad if you don't use BLOCKS. I'm glad I got it on one of their half price sales but it definitely has some issues. I wouldn't write it off completely, if nothing else it can easily replace hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of commercial VST plugins.

Yeah, so turns out my integrated graphic card doesn't have windows 10 drivers, no vcv rack for me.

Finally played around with the thing today. I think I have some sampling rate issues and maybe Soundflower is not the best thing to use to get the audio to Live, but fuck damn it was fun to mess around. I did not really know what I was doing most of the time and when I finished all the cords were a huge jungle and I could not understand what goes where anymore.

fuck damn it was fun to mess around. I did not really know what I was doing most of the time and when I finished all the cords were a huge jungle and I could not understand what goes where anymore.

Just like the real thing

Messed about with this a few days ago, and i works pretty well and sounds good.  I've got to say, I actually prefer software that doesn't try to emulate the interface of hardware, because being hardware-like kind of works against the advantages of software (building a patch in this thing is slow and tedious compared to something like VAZ Modular or actual Eurorack hardware) but it's a great way to experiment with the Eurorack workflow and i sounds good and it actually performed OK on my 7 year old, mid-tier ASUS laptop which surprised me.  It definitely seems to be a bit less CPU intensive than Reaktor, at any rate, although it seems a lot less efficient than Usine and Sunvox and Buzz.

Definitely a cool thing, I hope when it leaves beta it doesn't become the synth equivalent of a free-to-play mobile game, though, where you get the basics free but getting advanced features ends up meaning you spend more on DLC than you would have spent if you just bought a commercial program - the fact that they're already charging for some of their modules is an ominous sign.  If you bought all of the paid modules that are already available you'd only be $20 short of a full price Reaktor license (and nearly twice a full price Usine license) and you'd have gotten a LOT less.

To be honest they're stretching a bit by calling this open source, freemium would be a more accurate label.

Edited by RSP

At this point I am not even looking towards buying a software module, although if I get really into it who knows. But what I really like about this thing already is that they have made it open source so I already can just take the code and make my own stuff in it or mod existing things. This seems like a wonderful way to get into some C++ without having to wizard up the whole framework from scratch.

I just hope using the thing does not metastasize into a full blown eurocrack habit.

Edited by thawkins

Yeah, that probably came out as a bit more critical than I meant it, you definitely don't need to get any f the paid plugins for it to be good.

I get your point though, because even if it is free now it is not guaranteed to be free forever. If it becomes good and popular, someone can just come and buy them out, take down the code repositories and institute some price gouging plans or something. I better copy that source before just in case. :)

Here's the file: 

i had a little fun and sped things up a bit, but the only way i could play it was if it was minimized in the tray, if i keep the graphics GUI open it stutters like hell...

untitled.mp3