th555

VCV Rack - open source virtual modular

Yeah, that probably came out as a bit more critical than I meant it, you definitely don't need to get any f the paid plugins for it to be good.

Yeah, that probably came out as a bit more critical than I meant it, you definitely don't need to get any f the paid plugins for it to be good.

I get your point though, because even if it is free now it is not guaranteed to be free forever. If it becomes good and popular, someone can just come and buy them out, take down the code repositories and institute some price gouging plans or something. I better copy that source before just in case. :)

man this is pretty fun. it sounds pretty close to the real thing according to my limited exposure.

still need someone to explain all the mutable mumbo jumbo hippy garbage to me though.

Hey thanks a lot. Yeah, it's just me messing with the some of the knobs and recording it into audacity, really. Then I cut up the parts I liked. Took about 10 minutes but the patch was done yesterday and today. 

Here's the file: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0k6wmrz9ixt77sr/kuto1.vcv?dl=0

It may be a little laggy. Something that's good to know is that I have no reservations about working with digital modular, so I don't use it as if it's a real modular rack. I make as many modules as I need that I can use in a free-flowing, stream of consciousness way. Like no one should have that many Braids modules, but lol, that's the way of PC, baby.

I do want to experiment with what I can come up with with a realistic rack setup though. I still dream of owning a physical setup...

i had a little fun and sped things up a bit, but the only way i could play it was if it was minimized in the tray, if i keep the graphics GUI open it stutters like hell...

untitled.mp3

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

I didn't take much notice of VCV Rack as it was standalone only, and I have R6 already

Some clever chap, however, has now built this to run under VST

https://github.com/bsp2/VeeSeeVSTRack

It comes with most (all?  >650) of the $0 modules pre-packaged.  Download the pre-built 7z and simply copy to your plugins folder

It seems to work very well.  Certainly an essential considering it's all free

• Like 1

now that vcv 1.0 is on my comp, midi bridge doesn't work. i boot v .6 and midi bridge suddenly works again.

i'm using ableton 10. anyone figure it out? i only want to use midi from ableton because the midi capabilities are so much greater in ableton

anyone?

Peeps like @ambergonk who are bored of their DAWs should definitely give this a spin. I mean, shit, it's free, fun, and pretty easy to get weird with, what's not to like? It hits that sweet spot of abstraction, more Nord than Max/PD/Reaktor.

Personally, though, I've recently discovered I'm more of a TidalCycles/SuperCollider type of guy. They're not mutually exclusive, but when the bug bit, I knew that that's where my efforts are gonna go for the foreseeable.

• Like 1

Just now, sweepstakes said:

Peeps like @ambergonk who are bored of their DAWs should definitely give this a spin. I mean, shit, it's free, fun, and pretty easy to get weird with, what's not to like? It hits that sweet spot of abstraction, more Nord than Max/PD/Reaktor.

Personally, though, I've recently discovered I'm more of a TidalCycles/SuperCollider type of guy. They're not mutually exclusive, but when the bug bit, I knew that that's where my efforts are gonna go for the foreseeable.

Not gonna lie, I get bored too quickly with FL to make any real progress with it anymore. Maybe we can play around with it later this week.

2 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

Not gonna lie, I get bored too quickly with FL to make any real progress with it anymore. Maybe we can play around with it later this week.

Don't wait for me, just download it and give it a spin!

I get some very unique sounds. Definitely feels like I’m messing with a modular.

On 7/1/2019 at 2:22 AM, darreichungsform said:

Is it less CPU intensive than Reaktor Blocks?

I remember testing on my 9yo macbook pro a while back. Running some sample Reaktor Blocks things I think I got an error even loading some of it. VCV ran fine, but then I did not make anything insane either.

• Like 1

I need a better sequencer module, what else is there besides seq 3?

I'm investigating this one - Impromptu Foundry

a6ef4cc032fc84765a6150b539ca8466a5f4c1a6

I have thought about making my own stuff (or modifying the existing ones) as the basic modules are all open source. But on the other hand it is C++ and going down the rabbit hole will absolutely steal a lot of time.

On 7/5/2019 at 8:54 PM, sheatheman said:

Intellijel Metropolis, or Varigate 8 (or 4) ... are these modules available to use with VCV rack?

On 7/6/2019 at 4:54 AM, sheatheman said:

https://github.com/koralfx/Koralfx-Modules

Posted (edited)

awesome, thanks

Edited by sheatheman

On 7/6/2019 at 5:57 PM, thawkins said:

I have thought about making my own stuff (or modifying the existing ones) as the basic modules are all open source. But on the other hand it is C++ and going down the rabbit hole will absolutely steal a lot of time.

Does it have its own framework or are you literally editing .cpp files? Using straight up C++ with no libraries would definitely require a lot of time.

29 minutes ago, Braintree said:

Does it have its own framework or are you literally editing .cpp files? Using straight up C++ with no libraries would definitely require a lot of time.

Apparently there is a Rack SDK that has some kind of API that you can use for developing your own plugins. They even provide a getting started tutorial for this https://vcvrack.com/manual/PluginDevelopmentTutorial.html

A while back I did check the source for the basic sequencer plugin and it seemed fairly readable and straightforward to mess with the code to add more steps, etc. As the tutorial says, I think it is a great way to learn some C++ and mess around. I just never got around to it... I admit that for C++ you can have some fairly high learning curve things going on if you make a slight mistake somewhere.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 8:40 PM, thawkins said:

Apparently there is a Rack SDK that has some kind of API that you can use for developing your own plugins. They even provide a getting started tutorial for this https://vcvrack.com/manual/PluginDevelopmentTutorial.html

A while back I did check the source for the basic sequencer plugin and it seemed fairly readable and straightforward to mess with the code to add more steps, etc. As the tutorial says, I think it is a great way to learn some C++ and mess around. I just never got around to it... I admit that for C++ you can have some fairly high learning curve things going on if you make a slight mistake somewhere.

There is a Reaktor-esque module builder in the works which looks promising, and has a lite-version, early access beta available now - "Geco", made by Hora, a VCV developer

Comes with a library of DSP and logic objects, with custom code imports possible too.

https://gumroad.com/horamusic

• Like 1