IGNORED

Burial - Rodent

Culture

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't like it at all. Not bothered if I ever hear it again. His last few releases were stellar. This is just weak and unmemorable.

Remix is just a very poor track turned into absolute shite.

Bleep.com says:

Rodent in many ways could be Burial and Kode9's reaction to the gentrification that is swallowing up the London boroughs from which they first came

Maybe we're just not deep enough...

Bleep.com says:

Rodent in many ways could be Burial and Kode9's reaction to the gentrification that is swallowing up the London boroughs from which they first came

Lol. I read that too. Let's face it, it's crap. No matter how they try to write it up. 

Bleep.com says:

He's called "Burial" for a reason

Fuck sake Will just drop something a bit longer soon yeah? A 2 track 12" with an ambient b-side, followed by a 2 track 10", both ambient tracks, followed by a 10" that runs for nine minutes, one track of which isn't an original Burial tune. This time next year we'll have a 5" silent record sprinkled with a bit of dust for that Burial vinyl pop sound. 

Bleep.com says:

That's what she said

Fuck sake Will just drop something a bit longer soon yeah? A 2 track 12" with an ambient b-side, followed by a 2 track 10", both ambient tracks, followed by a 10" that runs for nine minutes, one track of which isn't an original Burial tune. This time next year we'll have a 5" silent record sprinkled with a bit of dust for that Burial vinyl pop sound. 

Yeah, I agree. It's cheapening his reputation also. Taking a few months to craft a single track is fine if that track is awesome. This sure ain't.

It's not even the quality of the tracks so much as the way they're presented. Ok so Rodent is more rhythmic than anything he's done recently, but none of these have really suited the 12"/10" single format. An EP of Temple Sleeper, Young Death, Nightmarket, Subtemple, Beachfires, Rodent and the remix would have made a nice double 12" / CDEP set. I'm still holding out for a CD on Beat like the Street Halo/Kindred one, because a tracklist like that would make a really satisfying listening experience. But none of these tracks are really banging or memorable enough to stand up as individual singles.

Kode9's remix is ridiculous. I mean that in a neutral way, I really have no idea what my opinion of it is other than it's ridiculous, I'm still trying to process it after one listen. I'll probably have no idea what to think if I listen to it 10 more times in a row.

I mean, I'm pretty sure he's taking a stab at juke/footwork since he's been enamored with that but in the process of really trying to embrace that style we got this as a result. His stuff in the past, a lot of which I love, was always so clinical and meticulously produced (he's admitted he spent months even years tweaking tracks off his earlier releases) but most footwork is hashed out in hours with little "professional" effort, if any, in mastering/mixing. Some bits I liked, others seemed kinda WTF. So when he's emulating a genre that is almost always off-the-cuff and raw with his own very OCD approach it's bound to sound, well, like this I guess.

This time next year we'll have a 5" silent record sprinkled with a bit of dust for that Burial vinyl pop sound. 

seriously

It's not even the quality of the tracks so much as the way they're presented. Ok so Rodent is more rhythmic than anything he's done recently, but none of these have really suited the 12"/10" single format. An EP of Temple Sleeper, Young Death, Nightmarket, Subtemple, Beachfires, Rodent and the remix would have made a nice double 12" / CDEP set. I'm still holding out for a CD on Beat like the Street Halo/Kindred one, because a tracklist like that would make a really satisfying listening experience. But none of these tracks are really banging or memorable enough to stand up as individual singles.

Agreed. On this occasion, it's just one track of mehness. On an album, you've always got more to look forward too. 

Really finding this trend of looping unintelligible vocal samples throughout tracks very annoying.

:confuzzled:

wat?

rodents

under my carpet

under my feet

they come out in the

*vinyl crackle* *gunshells falling w/ reverb*

Archived