IGNORED

Most Evil Ae Moment?

Sam

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That time in '97 when they murdered a hobo.

Just out of curiosity: does "that time...when" imply similar events might have happened in the past? I'm not sure. But the point might be, that it's still a possibility. It might be the case that all those other times were less evil. Maybe they also killed some mosquitoes, or something. That time in '93 when they killed hundred mosquitoes just for fun might be a close second most evil moment.

I've said too much already...

Yulquen is actually way more evil but it took me 20 years to realize it

lol really? Unless I'm getting the key completely wrong, it sounds like one of the prettiest things they've released.

yeah what the heck, Yulquen is pure lush Bladerunner esque sci-fi vibes.

I always thought so too, but the way it evolves in the last half of the track started to creep me out a couple years ago. It's kind of hard to explain but it has to do with the implied sense of scale. It is definitely lush and pretty too.

It's the least cheesy and most forward thinking track on Amber by a long shot.

if we're also including Gescom, Minidisc has some evil-sounding moments.

Yeah there's some pretty demonic bits on there with the FFT experiments and the brutal drum retriggering and sickly ambience. Also lots of unresolved dead ends which often have evil vibes in context (like the aforementioned cat purring in Tewe).

Teartear is pretty menacing, surprised it hasn't had a mention yet.

Yeah, it is a pretty ominous track...

Has AE ever done a happy sounding, joyous track? I can't think of any at the moment...

Oh, and Chris Cunningham's video for Second Bad Vilbel is just nightmare fuel (to me) - imagine being trapped in a room with that thing and its master:

All of Confield is an obvious choice, but hmmmm

The entirety of vekoS sounds like malicious mind control. It opens with a whole spectrum of percussive sounds, meant to trick your brain and turn it inside out..then the sounds start flipping themselves forward and backward along with your sense of balance and control..then that gristly whisper begins commanding your subconscious..next thing you know, everything is lost..you are paralyzed as you sink into an abyss of submission..like a car crash, you can do nothing but fall further and further downwards, observing reality as it blurs and stretches around you..

Also Sim Gishel, just cause those truncated pads sound to me like a decaying corpse

This is a good thread

MELVE

Lol @ this only because i can't not skip over it every time. It's corny af, it's evil, but like how a Tim Burton movie is evil

The slobbering sound at the end of Tewe - first noticed it when listening through headphones on LSD and it shat me right up.

it's a cat purring.

Aye. IIRC Sean confirmed in the AAA thread back in Nov 2013 that it was a sample of his old cat Winterbottom.

No no no no. Not havin that. 

Reminds me of the comment on feed1 on youtube - "i think it too about ten times before I realized this is actually a drum and bass song".............Just NO.

MELVE

Lol @ this only because i can't not skip over it every time. It's corny af, it's evil, but like how a Tim Burton movie is evil

Lol wp. It doesn't stick in memory for me at all.  It's like they needed to pop to the toilet and let one of the lads from Plaid take over and he couldn't really come up with anything

Has AE ever done a happy sounding, joyous track? I can't think of any at the moment...

How about Cichli, Tilapia, Pen Expers, Echtogon-S or foldfree casual?

None of them IMHO, but "Slip" from Amber suits the description.

No no no no. Not havin that.

Reminds me of the comment on feed1 on youtube - "i think it too about ten times before I realized this is actually a drum and bass song".............Just NO.

Cæn we agræ to disagræ

IV VV IV VV VIII at 2:47

The fear of god takes shape

All great choices. 

I always thought that particular track is the sound of the music the space jockey in Alien would listen to. Pre-prometheus mythos that is, when it was just an unnamed ossified 15 foot tall space beast

The interesting thing is that for more than two years I found IV VV IV VV VIII an anonymous non-stimulating piece, until one day I fell in. Now I think that it is the highest moment of Draft. The tipical ae syndrome.

As for a feeling of deep concern, tied to something I recognize as a "sense of the mystic" (I know, those are overly colorful expressions, but if we can not exaggerate at least here, in what other context could we do?), I must say that plyphon is probably the the first piece that comes to my mind. For difficult reasons to rationalize, I inevitably see an immense monolith suspended in the solar system. There is no doubt, then, that at 2:00 I can touch its surface.

Archived