IGNORED

Most Evil Ae Moment?

Sam

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has AE ever done a happy sounding, joyous track? I can't think of any at the moment...

How about Cichli, Tilapia, Pen Expers, Echtogon-S or foldfree casual?

I dunno, those are all tracks with pretty melodies, but all quite wistful and minor key really. I would put, say, Rae and dropp in the same category? Lush, but I wouldn't personally describe it as joyous.

It's not really their element is it?

Around 2:45 in Cap.IV is like a ray of sunshine through clouds. Or some other cheesy simile, but you know what I mean.

Yulquen is actually way more evil but it took me 20 years to realize it

lol really? Unless I'm getting the key completely wrong, it sounds like one of the prettiest things they've released.

yeah what the heck, Yulquen is pure lush Bladerunner esque sci-fi vibes.

"I always thought so too, but the way it evolves in the last half of the track started to creep me out a couple years ago. It's kind of hard to explain but it has to do with the implied sense of scale. It is definitely lush and pretty too.

It's the least cheesy and most forward thinking track on Amber by a long shot."

Wait! you think teartear sounds cheesy? That trk is sinister af. Also like BoomTss mentioned, I think vekoS has some "burn 'em all" moments.

https://youtu.be/hLnecKDUweA

lol really? Unless I'm getting the key completely wrong, it sounds like one of the prettiest things they've released.

"I always thought so too, but the way it evolves in the last half of the track started to creep me out a couple years ago. It's kind of hard to explain but it has to do with the implied sense of scale. It is definitely lush and pretty too.

Wait! you think teartear sounds cheesy? That trk is sinister af. Also like BoomTss mentioned, I think vekoS has some "burn 'em all" moments.

Teartear is sinister for sure but yeah you gotta admit it's kind of a cheesy teenage variety of sinister. Nil always made me think of peaceful contact with aliens and Teartear gave me this image of one of the aliens getting beaten down on the deck of a battleship. That's about as sinister as it got for me, the whole album is a bit overly detached and polite except Yulquen and Piezo.

Teartear is a textbook tryhard closer, goes for menacing and ominous but comes off as goofy. It doesn't fit the rest of Amber, and ae quickly grew out of it. Nuane (particularly the loud jolt into Nuane) is a far more refined evolution of this dramatic closer impulse.

I think a lot of menacing ae moments come off as intentionally goofy, and I like that. The more irreverent insectoid organic variants are among their most disquieting, something like iera is about as latently dastardly as they veer, but their music is always too fun and (dare I say) joyous to disturb. Maybe a track with intense dramatic sweep like Surripere, Osla for n or eastre could come off as disturbing to some, it's all relative.

When I think of electronic artists evoking moods of moral absolute, Autechre aren't in the frame, their music isn't particularly engaged with such notions.

Teartear is a textbook tryhard closer, goes for menacing and ominous but comes off as goofy. It doesn't fit the rest of Amber, and ae quickly grew out of it. Nuane (particularly the loud jolt into Nuane) is a far more refined evolution of this dramatic closer impulse.

I think a lot of menacing ae moments come off as intentionally goofy, and I like that. The more irreverent insectoid organic variants are among their most disquieting, something like iera is about as latently dastardly as they veer, but their music is always too fun and (dare I say) joyous to disturb. Maybe a track with intense dramatic sweep like Surripere, Osla for n or eastre could come off as disturbing to some, it's all relative.

When I think of electronic artists evoking moods of moral absolute, Autechre aren't in the frame, their music isn't particularly engaged with such notions.

Well said, especially about the goofiness. Often even when they get really nasty they can't help themselves but drop something silly in there. Even plyPhon, which I think is their apex of brutality (except the obvious stuff from elseq) develops a kind of sarcastic giggling melody toward the end of the track. They've talked a fair amount about hybrid emotions in their interviews and I think that's one of the tenets of their aesthetic, they're never quite here or there and it liberates them to try things no one else will.

Teartear is sinister for sure but yeah you gotta admit it's kind of a cheesy teenage variety of sinister. Nil always made me think of peaceful contact with aliens and Teartear gave me this image of one of the aliens getting beaten down on the deck of a battleship. That's about as sinister as it got for me, the whole album is a bit overly detached and polite except Yulquen and Piezo.
Let's not get carried away, it's all down to taste here. A whole spectrum of different things we can ponder/argue about. Ok Teartear may not be as sinister or dark, it may not "fit with the rest of amber" coz it's not as "refined" or tries too hard, but if this were 1994 you all would be holding crucifixes up at that shit. Fast forward to now - anything said on the matter is purely personal and subjective. I freakin' love the way that track sounds... Theres something about 'perlance' that is unnerving to me also, but I eat it up for breakfast!

Let's not get carried away, it's all down to taste here. A whole spectrum of different things we can ponder/argue about. Ok Teartear may not be as sinister or dark, it may not "fit with the rest of amber" coz it's not as "refined" or tries too hard, but if this were 1994 you all would be holding crucifixes up at that shit. Fast forward to now - anything said on the matter is purely personal and subjective. I freakin' love the way that track sounds... Theres something about 'perlance' that is unnerving to me also, but I eat it up for breakfast!

It's definitely down to taste. But I've listened to Amber hundreds, maybe a thousand times, so I feel entitled to my opinion on it at this point  :mu-ziq:

I didn't say it didn't fit with the rest of Amber - I think it fits in just fine. The mood in Foil, Further, and Teartear is very similar to me. And Glitch and Montreal are just around the corner.

I agree that Amber tries too hard and Autechre kind of obliquely acknowledged that, or at least said that they were going through an "annoying" phase. It's not hard to imagine how that went. They sent Warp the demo that became Incunabula, which naturally followed Legofeet and their live sets from the time. Then they were like oh fuck, we're signed, we better put a proper album together, cranked up the reverb and psyched themselves out somewhat. I wouldn't say it was a mis-step but it pales in comparison with Tri Rep which was bold, rich, and polished, except the screeching high end on some of the tracks like Leterel and Stud. It's not all that surprising that the outtakes (the Garbage EP) are so much more interesting and cohesive than Amber proper.

Slip, Piezo, Nine, and Yulquen are gorgeous though. Also Roo agreed with me about Teartear  :emotawesomepm9:

And yeah Perlence is great. It's one of the tracks where they really turned up the cheesiness but it's so fun. It reminds me of a flying battleship from Super Mario Brothers.

Second half of 1 1 is. Arch Carrier. Tankakern. Bine.

Known(1) is a goth drinking wine and listening to Coil.

1 1 is evil? That part to me is more like the synthetic equivalent of a chanting mantra in a Buddhist monastery. And Known (1) is like an old lady's house with a steel rocking chair.

Not saying you're wrong tho. Just expressing my take on it.

absolutely, 1 1 is sounds like a bleak industrial disintegration to me.

also lol about known(1) gothness, I showed it to a friend once and he said "sounds like Coil!!"

It's definitely down to taste. But I've listened to Amber hundreds, maybe a thousand times, so I feel entitled to my opinion on it at this point :mu-ziq:

I didn't say it didn't fit with the rest of Amber - I think it fits in just fine. The mood in Foil, Further, and Teartear is very similar to me. And Glitch and Montreal are just around the corner.

I agree that Amber tries too hard and Autechre kind of obliquely acknowledged that, or at least said that they were going through an "annoying" phase. It's not hard to imagine how that went. They sent Warp the demo that became Incunabula, which naturally followed Legofeet and their live sets from the time. Then they were like oh fuck, we're signed, we better put a proper album together, cranked up the reverb and psyched themselves out somewhat. I wouldn't say it was a mis-step but it pales in comparison with Tri Rep which was bold, rich, and polished, except the screeching high end on some of the tracks like Leterel and Stud. It's not all that surprising that the outtakes (the Garbage EP) are so much more interesting and cohesive than Amber proper.

Slip, Piezo, Nine, and Yulquen are gorgeous though. Also Roo agreed with me about Teartear :emotawesomepm9:

And yeah Perlence is great. It's one of the tracks where they really turned up the cheesiness but it's so fun. It reminds me of a flying battleship from Super Mario Brothers.

That's cool sweepstakes, I can respect your opinion, I my self have more of a less critical point of view on things, I guess - especially when it comes to Ae, the fan boi in me strips me of all analytical ability haha. I too have listened to every Ae release several times, I don't know about hundreds though! I have some catching up to do. But yeah when it comes to it the more I think about it, the more I realise that 'sinister' or evil, is something that is different to different people (duh) and when it comes down to it I personally don't associate Autechre music to any superficial emotion, not instantly anyway, and certainly some tracks lend themselves more than others to triggering emotions and feelings. My main attraction is definitely their rhythms and sound manipulation, emotions take a back seat for me. I find the whole 'evil' thing to be quite corny anyway - like, devil worshippers, they're just as ridiculous as Jehovahs witnesses to me.

About perlance - I don't get the cheese at all their mate. Mybe I take Ae too seriously? Dunno

That's cool sweepstakes, I can respect your opinion, I my self have more of a less critical point of view on things, I guess - especially when it comes to Ae, the fan boi in me strips me of all analytical ability haha.

About perlance - I don't get the cheese at all their mate. Mybe I take Ae too seriously? Dunno

Oh, I'm critical of everything - it's not personal. It's my way of trying to understand things. I still love Ae as much as the next nerd. But I do think that Amber is in their 3 or 4 weakest releases.

I've lovingly listened to Amber many scores of times over the years, and even though I consider it comfortably inside my top 5 Autechre albums, I treat Nil as closer more often than not. Teartear closing out that album just doesn't sit well with me. Other than that and some minor gripes with Silverside, I adore the album.

I've lovingly listened to Amber many scores of times over the years, and even though I consider it comfortably inside my top 5 Autechre albums, I treat Nil as closer more often than not. Teartear closing out that album just doesn't sit well with me. Other than that and some minor gripes with Silverside, I adore the album.

+1 to everything

1 1 is evil? That part to me is more like the synthetic equivalent of a chanting mantra in a Buddhist monastery. 

Spot on :)

Always picture being up high in the himalayas in a trance and undergoing some kind of out of body ascension yada yada

One of my favourite Autechre moments for sure

Archived