IGNORED

Most Evil Ae Moment?

Sam

"sounds like a disease", "uses music like a weapon" - so you'd enjoy being stabbed and getting AIDS in the process i take it? This descriptions is like a kindergarten way of amplifying. There's no insight in them, rather the opposite

photo-11608.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In any case: the use of human choruses is not frequent in Autechre, it would be interesting to make a dedicated post. Onesix has an interesting abundance of choirs, in the first part, that remind me of the maximistic compositions of Giacinto Scelsi, like

Scelsi is a master of intense choirs i concur, what is maximistic?

Scelsi was one of the greatest Italian composers, here in Italy, however, was completely forgotten.
The incredible coincidence is that, recently, I found out that it was born 12 kilometers from my home (Pitelli, La Spezia). I found it by chance, on the Internet, here in La Spezia, in fact, we did not even dedicate to him the name of a sidewalk or a vespasian.

Anyway, I wrote about "maximistic composition", just to distinguish songs like uaxutum from his minimalistic partiture: it's a term I used with some forcing ...

Wouldn't he prefer it that way tho, there was his quote of something to the effect of "burn all scores of my music", it was in the now deleted video of Konx-Om-Pax titled Scelsi: In His Own Words on the New Music channel.

Not sure if all the quotes used were authentic, since very little is verifiable about him. In fact, it was like five sentences stretched for 10 mins (old limit on YT), "my music is not minimalist, not pointellistic etc.", some bad ass koan about a crawling flea? and a story of repeatedly playing one C note on an old piano in the mental hospital.

He made an impression of a real maverick.

I realize I have not answered this, I'm sorry.

I don't know about the documentary you mention, I would be very pleased to see it. If it has been deleted from youtube, maybe I have some hope with e-mule.

Yes, Giacinto Scelsi is a figure on which many shadow areas remain. His musical quest had mysteriously contiguous aspects to an esoteric dimension. And i think he was a man who suffered a lot. The story of the single note was a way to survive depression: his wife left him, World War II was incinerating Europe, Virginia Woolf (she was a big friend of him) plunged from the bridge ... and so our Giacinto annihilated himself by focusing on one single note. And it is a good thing if we consider how beautiful  "four pieces on a single note" is (which I imagine is the result of pain processing).

it is also interesting to see how his music has changed over time: when he came into contact with oriental philosophy and music he started towards a theory about sound and the value of music that, in my opinion, remains interesting. he stopped seeing the music as a sequence of notes, in fact: he considered the notes as simple clothes for the sound: if, before, the sound was the medium to expressing the notes (so the music in terms of harmony), at some point the thing was overturned, and the tone became, for Scelsi, the medium for expressing what he claimed to be the true richness of music: the content of the sound. He focused on the timbre and gave to a single note not the role of "appearing" in a point of the score, but as absolute protagonist in a constant and meditative metamorphosis without a "melodic" evidence.
Returning to find connections between Autechre and Giacinto Scelsi, I think it is not wrong to argue that often with Ae we can confuse the boundaries between form and content, medium and purpose: a sound can be the vehicle for the notes, but also a deep dimension, fascinating in itself and for itself. The aesthetics becomes content, and the content changes in aesthetics, creating something unique.

for those who understand Italian I recommend this book: "Giacinto Scelsi : Viaggio Al Centro Del Suono" (journey to the center of the sound).
The author, Nicola Cisternino, is also a very radical composer, known for creating "sonorous graffiti". 
here, a -nice- composition of Cisternino that meets electronics and tuba: 

Most Gayest Ae Thread Of All Time

Only here tucked away in your seedy corner of Autechre Bum Love can you get away with it

Do this conversation on the Aphex forum? No chance. But here it’s a different story.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Probably when they totally ignored Richard Devine in the ask Autechre to name anything thread.

Archived