IGNORED

spontaneous arpeggiator experiment

thawkins

I enjoyed this. It's a bit long, I would end it around the six minute mark. That pad that plays after the six minute mark in is a bit loud in the mix, a bit too bright as well. There might be more room in the lower frequencies, but I'm guessing using speakers, not looking at an EQ.

I like this, and the pad sounds good to me. I am into listening to longer tracks at the moment so being 10 minutes is fine by me.

I keep thinking maybe a bassline is going to come in - Chiastic Slide style - but it sounds good as it is.

I enjoyed this. It's a bit long, I would end it around the six minute mark. That pad that plays after the six minute mark in is a bit loud in the mix, a bit too bright as well. There might be more room in the lower frequencies, but I'm guessing using speakers, not looking at an EQ.

I like this, and the pad sounds good to me. I am into listening to longer tracks at the moment so being 10 minutes is fine by me.

I keep thinking maybe a bassline is going to come in - Chiastic Slide style - but it sounds good as it is.

Thanks for the comments!

I agree it is kind of long. I edited it down from around 20 minutes of jamming I think. I think it's because I get "stuck" in the speed of the song, it is later more difficult to cut down and make the progressions come and go faster. I also tend to think about how the song could be performed (either as a part of a dj/live set or just on stage) and in this case I decided to leave long intro/outro fades so that it could be mixed in to other music really gradually, because I love these kinds of transitions.

I also agree that there could be more low frequencies involved - there is synth that kind of thought as bass and a piano, but it doesn't pack enough of a punch. I think this is also a sign that I need to look into my monitoring setup - I was using both speakers and headphones, and the bass sounds pretty nice and full on the headphones so I did not EQ it enough to hear on the speakers as well. Lesson learned here. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived