IGNORED

Vaporwave Sketches 1-5

ganus

(disclaimer: I don't really know what constitutes as vaporware so I'm just judging the tracks by what I like)

#1: the hiss is a bit too loud, I'd understand it better if the other elements of the track would be lo-fi as well, but right now it stands kind of alone and doesn't blend together with the rest of the track. I guess it comes from the vocal sample? The track itself sounds interesting, but I don't really see the story it's supposed to tell.

#2: Reminds me of the Monkey Island soundtrack. I like. :) I guess I'd add a solo there and flesh the rest of the track out.

#3: Also a nice tune; I keep expecting Hype Williams style drums to show up any minute. That, or something way more energetic like Mancingelani's Vana Vasesi. Also reminds me of Blanck Mass - Polymorph.

#4: don't know what to tell about this one. 

#5: this sounds like some modern classical, like some computer game soundtrack, or if I squint a little bit - Koyaanisqatsi. Interesting to see this kind of stuff labeled vaporwave. :)

All in all there's some promising stuff there. I hope you'll expand at least some of those into full tracks. The ones with looping piano/vocal samples didn't click very well with me: I blame me not being in to classical or piano music much, and also while some amount of clicks/hiss is OK for me, in this case I think it was a bit too much. BUT, if you find a way to tie all those 5 into an EP or an album where the songs form a coherent whole, I am pretty sure it will be an amazing thing. 

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate your perspective! It's not all immediately vaporwave in aesthetic, the project is more focused on the work ethic and creativity of vaporwave. My last album (not out yet) took me almost 4 years to write, the compositions got so fiddly. The goal of the project is to get ideas down fast, and make an interesting sound pallette and atmosphere using minimal elements and composition. Taking a lot of influence from Nmesh and Susumu Yokota in my ideas.

That said, I think you made some great points, and some of these may get fleshed out more eventually. I want to get more tracks down first. The tape and vinyl hiss is part of the samples as you'd guessed, that'll be a running theme here and I know it may not be for everyone.

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate your perspective! It's not all immediately vaporwave in aesthetic, the project is more focused on the work ethic and creativity of vaporwave. My last album (not out yet) took me almost 4 years to write, the compositions got so fiddly. The goal of the project is to get ideas down fast, and make an interesting sound pallette and atmosphere using minimal elements and composition. Taking a lot of influence from Nmesh and Susumu Yokota in my ideas.

That said, I think you made some great points, and some of these may get fleshed out more eventually. I want to get more tracks down first. The tape and vinyl hiss is part of the samples as you'd guessed, that'll be a running theme here and I know it may not be for everyone.

Thanks for plugging the names, I'll need to check them out. Susumu Yokota in particular has shown up several times already in different places, so I consider that a sign. :)

Good luck with your album! I have found that following my feelings and just getting the bulk of material out in a short span of time will definitely help. I hope it's the same in your case.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived