IGNORED

Bibio - Phantom Brickworks

fumi

“I don’t believe in ghosts but I do believe places can be haunted by meaning. Places change, not always for the better and not always by natural, benevolent or politically sound means. A place can be charged with atmosphere because of what it has been through or what it has been.

Phantom Brickworks is a collection of mostly improvised musical pieces, that for some years now, have provided me with a mental portal into places and times - some real, some imaginary, some a combination of both. Human beings are highly sensitive to the atmospheres of places, which can be enhanced or dramatically altered when you learn the context of their history. Echoes and voices can sometimes be heard, in some way or another. Places sometimes have things to say.”

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

You've surely got to give it to him, Bibio's releases aren't always predictable. I can't think of too many artists with his diversity. Looking forward to this, couldn't be more different from A Mineral Love by the sounds of things. Would've liked to have got the special edition vinyl version but I was skint at the time.

Listening now. It's okay. He's never going to beat those first three albums. Ironically, I find 'Fi' to be a much more haunting album than this new one.

Yeah, subtitle of the OP is uncalled-for, imo. If this is “hauntology” then all beatless atmospheric music is. Only listened twice so far but the first thing that came to mind is vletrmx by ae…

Yeah, subtitle of the OP is uncalled-for, imo. If this is “hauntology” then all beatless atmospheric music is. Only listened twice so far but the first thing that came to mind is vletrmx by ae…

Yeah, I kind of regret writing that now. There were no samples at the time only the music description. I just assumed from the PR stuff, he was heading down that route. Clearly, he wasn't.

Listened to it the whole way through tonight and liked it a lot in a way i didn't expect to from Bibio. It's plinky plonky ambient, reminiscent of the best hecker, reminded me a lot of ravedeath 1972, just one of those records where you lie in a dark room and not bother where you dropped the remote

Yeah, I kind of regret writing that now. There were no samples at the time only the music description. I just assumed from the PR stuff, he was heading down that route. Clearly, he wasn't.

No worries, still quality watmming by you here

I have only had this on in the background a few times so far, but I think I like it. I really like “clusters of juxtaposed piano notes” “ambient” tracks as a genre. And the other ones have some of that tasty bib plate verb

• 3 weeks later...

I really love this album.  It has a strangely addictive quality, in that I can just put it on repeat or start from any track when I want to be in the headspace it creates.

It may sound trite, but more than any other bibio album, this captures the feeling of walking in a forest.  It doesnt jump out at you on first listen, rather certain motifs and beautiful moments become more vivid the more you pay attention, or once you remember from repeated listens.

• 3 weeks later...

how the hell does this only have 17 replies and the gas thread around 300 !? anyway its the perfect winter music with the most beautiful and haunting video of the year.

Everything about this is stunning! I was transfixed the entire duration!

• 2 weeks later...

Is anybody else, who bought this on CD, having trouble getting the disc out of its sleeve?

Seems like the inner sleeve is glued (?) to the outer sleeve, and not just the first copy I was sent, but also the replacement copy I received from the seller today.

How do I get inside this sleeve??

Archived