IGNORED

Bibio - Phantom Brickworks

fumi

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anybody else, who bought this on CD, having trouble getting the disc out of its sleeve?

Seems like the inner sleeve is glued (?) to the outer sleeve, and not just the first copy I was sent, but also the replacement copy I received from the seller today.

How do I get inside this sleeve??

Have you considered taking it to dinner first?

Haha, I had this exact problem. I had to grip it very carefully with kitchen tongs (!) to yank it out the first time. Made sure to put it back into a different sleeve.

• 5 months later...

A music/sound piece using sounds recorded at the Brooks Saddles factory, Smethwick, England.

"The kind people at Brooks Saddles gave me a tour of the factory and the processes behind the manufacturing of their saddles. The main purpose of the visit was to record the sounds of the machines and tools used in the manufacturing. I also took photographs during the tour. The entire chain from start to finish was vary varied, using everything from large industrial machines (for stamping, moulding, cutting, bending and coiling) right down to hand tools, for jobs like rivet hammering and the chamfering of the saddles.

Thank you to all of the people at Brooks Saddles for allowing me to record & photograph and also for showing me around and explaining the manufacturing chain, it was a fascinating place to visit."

A music/sound piece using sounds recorded at the Brooks Saddles factory, Smethwick, England.

"The kind people at Brooks Saddles gave me a tour of the factory and the processes behind the manufacturing of their saddles. The main purpose of the visit was to record the sounds of the machines and tools used in the manufacturing. I also took photographs during the tour. The entire chain from start to finish was vary varied, using everything from large industrial machines (for stamping, moulding, cutting, bending and coiling) right down to hand tools, for jobs like rivet hammering and the chamfering of the saddles.

Thank you to all of the people at Brooks Saddles for allowing me to record & photograph and also for showing me around and explaining the manufacturing chain, it was a fascinating place to visit."

Looking forward to giving this a closer listen later — seems really lovely at first glance; Bibio always approaches different idioms like this so thoughtfully…

• 1 month later...

Warp just uploaded the full video for Ivy Charcoal, not sure if this was there before? I remember seeing a preview of this on Facebook but nowhere else. Really, really love these visuals with the swaying sounds :) 

Warp just uploaded the full video for Ivy Charcoal, not sure if this was there before? I remember seeing a preview of this on Facebook but nowhere else. Really, really love these visuals with the swaying sounds :) 

Simple and effective visual. This track hasn't stood out much for me in the midst of the longer pieces on the record but the visual helps elucidate Bib's intent.

Lol "bib's".  Im surprised this thread only has 2 pages, its probably my favorite release of last year.  I guess theres not much to discuss, but its really great stuff.

Its the rainy season right now in mexico city, which means this album has been accompanying me through a many drizzly morning and evening walks to work.  Walks and staring at wet plants.. exactly like the videos above..  Its good for  that.

Lol "bib's".  Im surprised this thread only has 2 pages, its probably my favorite release of last year.  I guess theres not much to discuss, but its really great stuff.

Its the rainy season right now in mexico city, which means this album has been accompanying me through a many drizzly morning and evening walks to work.  Walks and staring at wet plants.. exactly like the videos above..  Its good for  that.

I DonerStan this album lots, but my optimal seasonally associated listening period for it is in the colder months for sure. Looking forward to the autumn leaves to start falling for some forest walks to get soundtracked accordingly.

Oh, and I managed to grab one of the 100 fancy limited vinyl editions when it released, tis a lovely artefact.

Definitely will be re-visiting this in more fall/winter weather... Great album, just definitely has the feel for that time of year

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great news, with another tidbit tucked into that press release: Expect new Bibio music in 2019

Agree with jules, phantom brickworks the album has given me great slow-burning joy.

Also a random thought, im surprised phantom brickworks didnt get a cassette release.  Ive been listening to other ambient cassette releases (on umor rex, constellation tatsu) and it suits the format nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

releaseformat-313516-qqiho.jpg

releaseformat-313516-n3cbw.jpg

There's also a fancy pants version of it on the Bibio bleepstore, limited to 200 copies (and a bit too rich for my blood at 40 squids):

- Only 200 copies available exclusive to bibio store
- Includes 52 page book of the artist's photographic work
- Book is 304mm square, printed full colour on 170gsm silk, bound in a 350gsm cover, wrapped alongside the 12” in tissue paper with seal sticker.

Very nice, im sure the large format will make his photographs sing.  He posts a good bit of photographs to instagram these days, which is nice, but the social media format is a bit shit for this type of work.  Theyre meant to be viewed large, not surrounded by adverts, and on a physical medium.

But bibs.. for us poor folk, pls give us a phantom brickworks cassette, wrap it in your tissue paper (used is ok), and call it a day.  thx.

• 2 weeks later...

Gave the digital lionels a spin. Tracks are nice enough, but neither particularly stands out. While IV is just that little bit too raspy in the mix, particularly in its closing half, V is the more palatable listen by far. If anything, this EP just made me want to fire up the LP proper instead.

Archived