IGNORED

Japan

takeshi

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ lol but you're beautifully helpful, again

I was trying to be helpful by saving everyone else 10 minutes they might've wasted watching that shit video. I summed up the relevant parts of the video to OP. So, yeah, actually I was being helpful. Thanks for noticing.

no

Where in Hokkaido? I'm pretty familiar with Sapporo and Hakodate.

Or is this more of a question whether or not to go at all?

(PAGE BREK EDIT: asking Audioblysk)

Sobetsu is the location. I'd likely only get a week off and it's a lot of travel. Do you think it'd even be worth it? is that area cool? my buddy said it was gorgeous and right by a lake... Also I'm super American (you've met me lol) and I don't want to offend if I go there. 

I've heard the north is a little more conservative. I really want to go to Japan and I've never been to anywhere in Asia. 

I've heard the north is a little more conservative. I really want to go to Japan and I've never been to anywhere in Asia. 

Use this as a measure if you wish: they assumed I knew Japanese in Tokyo, but assumed I did not in Hokkaido.

While out dining with my girlfriend's family, the server looked at me, turned to my girlfriend, and asked "does he need a fork?"

Where in Hokkaido? I'm pretty familiar with Sapporo and Hakodate.

Or is this more of a question whether or not to go at all?

(PAGE BREK EDIT: asking Audioblysk)

Sobetsu is the location. I'd likely only get a week off and it's a lot of travel. Do you think it'd even be worth it? is that area cool? my buddy said it was gorgeous and right by a lake... Also I'm super American (you've met me lol) and I don't want to offend if I go there. 

Looks like I passed thru Sobetsu on the train, but never actually stopped and visited. It's right in the middle between those two cities I've lived along the JR line. I think Lake Toya is the one you're talking about, with a small island literally in the center of it. So the lake is basically doughnut-shaped.

Going there as the first-ever time in Japan though could prove quite a culture shock though. I got my start in Sapporo, which is the most foreigner-populated (and the largest) city in Hokkaido, which tended to ease the transition.

As far as general etiquette goes, as long as you familiarize yourself with basic expressions, don't burp, fart, blow your nose, or scratch your bum in public, and don't act arrogant, you'll be OK I think. Another thing to keep in mind is that many establishments have slipper and shoe bins just inside the entrance. Definitely make sure you switch out into those slippers first before walking around inside if that's the case.

Use this as a measure if you wish: they assumed I knew Japanese in Tokyo, but assumed I did not in Hokkaido.

While out dining with my girlfriend's family, the server looked at me, turned to my girlfriend, and asked "does he need a fork?"

lol. I remember right before making my move to Hakodate I was grabbing lunch at one of the Lawson kobini's and the clerk was gobsmacked that I requested chopsticks.

lol. I remember right before making my move to Hakodate I was grabbing lunch at one of the Lawson kobini's and the clerk was gobsmacked that I requested chopsticks.

Yeah, the kicker was that I was already using chopsticks on the appetizer.

The people up there kind of reminded me of my family in Kentucky with how they approached anyone from an outside culture.

i found the japantravel subreddit quite handy for a few lifehacks [pretty sober straight stuff tho]

and there is a fun rave/techno scene there so you can have fun and not necessarily pay through the nose for it legal or not, in my experience

https://www.facebook.com/FIXTEKNO/

https://twitter.com/mindgameslab?lang=en

+ more ask peace7 i guess

Been many times and LOVE it - Tokyo mostly!

It's cheap to eat if you want and the food is amazing in its variety. Winter time is Onsen (bathhouse) heaven. Bars are good fun and you can easily have the craic with curious locals. Go visit temples, castles, nature spots and get out of the city... figure out the festivals and go see some. I never got around to raving over there myself - missed a mu-ziq gig one year for unexpected reasons - but I'd love rave with the Japanese!

they are top ravers. and there will be something on when you're there, even if it's a wednesday night drum and bass party, depends what you're into.

there is a very fun onsen theme park in tokyo with a sleep room. i love anywhere with a sleep room. it's a bit tight on tattoos there tho even for non gang related tourists. but as onsen theme parks go it's great as fuck. 

Been many times and LOVE it - Tokyo mostly!

It's cheap to eat if you want and the food is amazing in its variety. Winter time is Onsen (bathhouse) heaven. Bars are good fun and you can easily have the craic with curious locals. Go visit temples, castles, nature spots and get out of the city... figure out the festivals and go see some. I never got around to raving over there myself - missed a mu-ziq gig one year for unexpected reasons - but I'd love rave with the Japanese!

I went to some show with some friends in Sapporo at the tail end of 2007 with some DJ called Kitsune Mason performing. I think I remember them throwing "Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand into the mix. I also remember somebody spanking my behind, but I never found out who.

I also found Gescom A1-D1 in an indie record shop in Tanuki-Koji district in Sapp, completely out of the blue. I had no idea Gescom just had a brand new release at the time. Probably one of my coolest finds ever in Japan.

they are top ravers. and there will be something on when you're there, even if it's a wednesday night drum and bass party, depends what you're into.

there is a very fun onsen theme park in tokyo with a sleep room. i love anywhere with a sleep room. it's a bit tight on tattoos there tho even for non gang related tourists. but as onsen theme parks go it's great as fuck.

sounds like a place onsens go when they die

So I might be going to the wedding and staying a while in Tokyo before heading to Hokkaido because it's a ways off (got postponed until next year)

My Russian devil of a GF really wants to get into a 3-way with a Japanese girl. This trip keeps sounding like more and more fun. If I bring ketamine or something, do you think we can get a skanky club girl to join us in the hotel? Are they freaky like USA ladies? I MUST KNOW. 

So I might be going to the wedding and staying a while in Tokyo before heading to Hokkaido because it's a ways off (got postponed until next year)

My Russian devil of a GF really wants to get into a 3-way with a Japanese girl. This trip keeps sounding like more and more fun. If I bring ketamine or something, do you think we can get a skanky club girl to join us in the hotel? Are they freaky like USA ladies? I MUST KNOW. 

Wow...well, whatever floats your boat.

I hear Roppongi Hills in Tokyo is notorious for the thot variety. But there was also a Club Booty in Sapporo that I've been to where some of the local chix liked to mingle with gaijin. Didn't go there by choice per se tho, it was more of a peer pressure thing.

Not Roppongi Hills - that's an upscale area. Roppongi is where you can go - although you'll have to put up with plenty of terrible music.

Alternatively you can go to HUB in Shibuya - some very skanky "ladies" in there. Actually lots of the HUB pubs are known for it - bu the one in Shibuya is legendary.

• 2 weeks later...

Not Roppongi Hills - that's an upscale area. Roppongi is where you can go - although you'll have to put up with plenty of terrible music.

Alternatively you can go to HUB in Shibuya - some very skanky "ladies" in there. Actually lots of the HUB pubs are known for it - bu the one in Shibuya is legendary.

When you have ketamine, you don't need to enjoy the music.  :emotawesomepm9:

The lady always brings it up when she's sauced and we talk about going on this trip for the wedding. Most likely she'll chicken out, but I'm taking this as far as it can go, for the sake of mankind and science alike.  :cerious:

• 3 weeks later...

If any WATMM peeps are going to MUTEK in Tokyo this Fri/Sat/Sun- if I see you I'll buy you a drink.  I'll be the guy who looks Japanese.

Aaand, I doubt many people will see this, but: I also have in hand, 4 one-day discount tickets to MUTEK (¥3000 instead of ¥5500).  If anyone needs one or all, lemme know.  Somehow.

• 5 weeks later...

It's not all expensive. For instance a 7/11 will charge you more for a beer than a local shop sometimes 100% more, lots of 'convenient' stuff will cost you more, tourist stuff, Gaijan stuff, but then there's a secret side which you can travel and drink and eat for cheap. Hard to explain. Look closer.

But then 7/11 is the cheapest place to eat, lol, there are bars that are reasonable, it's really hard to say until you find a cheaper place by mistake, then you know.

Think if you google 'cheap in tokyo' and research you find some gems.

• 1 year later...

I'll be in Japan in a couple of days. Flying to Osaka first and then probably by train to Nagoya and Tokyo. I've been there some 15 years ago but I suppose things have changed a bit.. No more guys with stalls in the streets of Shinjuku selling research chemicals I suppose, lol?

Any other IDMy things to do except to go to Tower Records in Tokyo to buy some Warp merch? Is there some web page I could see for some interesting gigs?

Archived