IGNORED

IDM in America in 2017--any cities with active scenes?

snack master

Houston put on some crazy rad IDM after parties featuring locals during DFN last year.

San Fran, Seattle, LA come to mind?

Seattle is more house-y lately (and we have a bit of a footwork movement that's in its infancy) but there would definitely be interest.
footwork scene in Seattle? I've seen folks wearing Teklife gear at shows, but have heard very little footwork there except from Chicago folks on tour. I dance at shows, and I do footwork for most of the night if the rhythm & tempo is right, but I have only ever seen one or two others...

More info pls, very interested. PM me?

Like I said, it's in its infancy, but Mokedo and Kremwerk/Timbre Room have been hosting more and more out-of-town footwork headliners with local nobodies who outshine the main act. I'm hoping it breaks out in the next year or two, as it's still overshadowed by their more rave-y EDM/house shows, but there's been very healthy turnouts so far. (Foodman and Jlin being the highlights, again supported by locals who got the crowd moving more than I've seen at any Seattle shows in a while.)

I missed the DJ Orange Julius show but I heard it was insane

Nice! I gotta get on the Kremwork mailing list. I wanna try to get to more of these shows. By all means, PM me if you find out about any good seattle footwork bandcamps. Or shows. No pressure tho.

I would love to get into DJing footwork, I'm a huge fan of the genre.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Houston put on some crazy rad IDM after parties featuring locals during DFN last year.

San Fran, Seattle, LA come to mind?

Seattle is more house-y lately (and we have a bit of a footwork movement that's in its infancy) but there would definitely be interest.
footwork scene in Seattle? I've seen folks wearing Teklife gear at shows, but have heard very little footwork there except from Chicago folks on tour. I dance at shows, and I do footwork for most of the night if the rhythm & tempo is right, but I have only ever seen one or two others...

More info pls, very interested. PM me?

Like I said, it's in its infancy, but Mokedo and Kremwerk/Timbre Room have been hosting more and more out-of-town footwork headliners with local nobodies who outshine the main act. I'm hoping it breaks out in the next year or two, as it's still overshadowed by their more rave-y EDM/house shows, but there's been very healthy turnouts so far. (Foodman and Jlin being the highlights, again supported by locals who got the crowd moving more than I've seen at any Seattle shows in a while.)

I missed the DJ Orange Julius show but I heard it was insane

Nice! I gotta get on the Kremwork mailing list. I wanna try to get to more of these shows. By all means, PM me if you find out about any good seattle footwork bandcamps. Or shows. No pressure tho.

I would love to get into DJing footwork, I'm a huge fan of the genre.

word, will do! I'm on the Kremwerk/Timbre mailing list and get Mokedo news in my fb feed, so I'll let you know if I hear of anything - that's how I heard about the Foodman/DJ Fultono show, which was a blast. can't remember the openers, lots of these kids just play shows at the moment because they live on their friend's couches/in warehouses with like 15 other people, so social media is a stopping point. there was literally a show at the abandoned Lusty Lady location a few months ago that I only heard about because I walked by and someone had hung up a QFC bag on the door and written the show details in sharpie lol

Houston has a lot going on thanks to the Defunkt Crew (https://www.facebook.com/DEFUNKT.co/).  They put on some great pre/post parties during Day for Night last year.

My city is open to stuff due to it being a college town, but there's not much that I find interesting in the ways of electronic music

Lawrence?

Houston has a lot going on thanks to the Defunkt Crew (https://www.facebook.com/DEFUNKT.co/). They put on some great pre/post parties during Day for Night last year.

My city is open to stuff due to it being a college town, but there's not much that I find interesting in the ways of electronic music

Lawrence?

Yeah man, you nearby?

You guys are gonna hate me but I went off 'IDM' long time ago. The really noodly stuff I just don't get anymore. Am I alone? :-)

^Ban^

lol

Houston has a lot going on thanks to the Defunkt Crew (https://www.facebook.com/DEFUNKT.co/). They put on some great pre/post parties during Day for Night last year.

Lawrence?

Yeah man, you nearby?

Not anymore, I went to school there

Experienced my first rave in Lawrence :)

+1 for the DFN afters in Houston last year. still cannot get over how sick the aphex dfn set was, truly a life-changing experience. i expect more of the same provided some of the talent on this year's list. this festival is well worth a cross-country trip for anyone outside of texas!

i live in austin and, there is no discernible idm scene here. very little electronic that i have found outside of sxsw.

right on, I'll have to make it out 

..related= https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGPWuIjD-fw

Hey that stuff is awesome, thanks for linking. I've always loved this kind of busy sort of drum and bass. I'm totally unaware of the genre, but 'footwork' seems something like that too, now I have something to type into the search bar.

Neurofunk is one of those genre names like "acid jazz" that - for me - always fails to deliver. When I hear neurofunk I keep expecting Funkadelic, Frank Zappa, James Brown faster and more trippy and more electronic, except it's just a slightly more cyberpunk dystopia style drum'n'bass. When I hear acid jazz I keep expecting something like jazz + LSD (like Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock except more psychedelic etc), except it's usually jazz that's been temporally butchered to match a 4/4 beat with a song structure that's been re-sampled to fit the 16 beats-per-breakdown house song structure (which I think is a terrible waste of potential).

I think my problem is that I like some songs that go under tech step, neurofunk, etc. and it's more down to the way the drums and the bass sound. I.e. if it's too "regular" amen-style drums, the bassline needs to be interesting and provide some rhythmical counterpoint to it. It's basically impossible to sort this kind of stuff by genre names though, so it's usually easier to find artists or DJs who are into the same kind of sound.

Thanks for this, already got a couple of good new tracks from there. Shame it isn't more like a DJ mix, sometimes those make even otherwise boring songs really come alive.

My go-to artist for the hardest and most intense stuff is usually Katharsys, but I might be biased because I've seen him live. His songs have crazy good drums and rhythm.

• 2 weeks later...

In Montreal (Canada but hey) , we have some nice electronic things going on.

Experimental,glitch,electro,ambient,noise,live electronic,live Techno or modular(Mutek),improvisation.

I've seen a few underground shows with IDM vibes and acts but it's rarely 100% going IDM,still i feel lucky when it happens.I'm thinking Woulg and Jesse Osbourne Lanthier.

I've seen a few live modular set with autechresque IDM.

A few rare breakcore shows.

Braindance is simply almost completely inexistent except for me doing shows occasionally.

I've been to quite a few ambient shows tho.

So IDM is not the most represented style but we get a bit and the electronic scene is very alive,loads of show happening all the time,we have especially quite a few venues booking for free everyday of the week and easy to book with decent crowd capacity,doing very cool things.

Experimental,glitch,electro,ambient,noise,live electronic,live Techno or modular(Mutek),improvisation.

I've seen a few underground shows with IDM vibes and acts but it's rarely 100% going IDM,still i feel lucky when it happens.I'm thinking Woulg and Jesse Osbourne Lanthier.

Braindance is simply almost completely inexistent except for me doing shows occasionally.

So IDM is not the most represented style but we get a bit and the electronic scene is very alive,loads of show happening all the time,we have especially quite a few venues booking for free everyday of the week and easy to book with decent crowd capacity,doing very cool things.

Message me anything Montreal related. I know a few producers there. I just played Casa del Popolo in Sept and I want to play MTL in the Spring sometime.

Message me anything Montreal related. I know a few producers there. I just played Casa del Popolo in Sept and I want to play MTL in the Spring sometime.

Sure man.Chcked your soundcloud.We should do a show together with a few other peeps at Casa or Vitrola.Would be damn fine to bring more braindance to the city.PM me and we'll get in touch on mail or facebook and get something together.

*moves montreal*

*moves montreal*

It's a lush city.

But needs more braindance.

WATMM needs to mass emigrate in here.

It'd be interesting if a bunch of active North American-based IDM artists all agreed to move to one location and develop a scene there.  Obviously that's an outlandish idea, but I can still dream, can't I?   :sleep:

Archived