IGNORED

IDM in America in 2017--any cities with active scenes?

snack master

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in. Can this be a thing please?

lol I said it in jest, but it'd probably be the most gratifying and meaningful thing if we did actually manage to get a scene here in NA worth talking about.  So where should we set up shop?  :)

Edit:  seems like the west coast would be the best choice atm

It does seem like a lot of North American wattumers reside on the west coast so yeah, I could see it happening, even though I was mostly joking too. Me and my friend joke that we should set up an IDM scene in Eugene, Oregon. I think a scene already exists in Portland. I would honestly move up there to participate in it. I can't play live at all yet but I would love to go to shows and meet people as well.

this calendar was down for a while but is back up at least for now and sometimes includes IDM-ish stuff in Portland- 

https://experimentalportland.com/event-calendar/

There is the aforementioned live in the depths- https://www.facebook.com/pg/saintsobass/events/?ref=page_internal

Also volt divers - https://www.facebook.com/pg/VoltDivers/posts/ which is hard-ware focused but still gets pretty IDM-y a lot of the time. bunch of other random stuff too. so yeah come to Portland because maybe its closer to the tipping point :) 

Had a friend that lived in Portland for a while that was pretty big in the breakcore scene, they used to throw house parties and shows out on blm land all the time. That was early 00’s. Moved away for a bit and then when he went back (2013 or so?) said the scene had changed, everyone was all about expensive vintage synths they barely knew how to use and breakcore had pretty well faded. I’ve thought about maybe trying to go out there sometime and catch up with some of the people that were into the electronic scene, he would always tell me that the music we make would go over well there. I’ve about got things in line for a Colundi broadcast point high on a mountain smack dab in the middle of nowhere if anybody is interested in driving X hours to freak out in the woods :)

Another +1 for Houston. We're working hard at making sure there is an active scene out here. 

Also the DFN afterparties of last year were just the beginning. ;)

Had a friend that lived in Portland for a while that was pretty big in the breakcore scene, they used to throw house parties and shows out on blm land all the time. That was early 00’s. Moved away for a bit and then when he went back (2013 or so?) said the scene had changed, everyone was all about expensive vintage synths they barely knew how to use and breakcore had pretty well faded. I’ve thought about maybe trying to go out there sometime and catch up with some of the people that were into the electronic scene, he would always tell me that the music we make would go over well there. I’ve about got things in line for a Colundi broadcast point high on a mountain smack dab in the middle of nowhere if anybody is interested in driving X hours to freak out in the woods :)

I am very interested... I'd love to see some good music.

Another +1 for Houston. We're working hard at making sure there is an active scene out here. 

Also the DFN afterparties of last year were just the beginning. ;)

Was just about to mention the Defunkt event. Had a great time last year in spite of passing out on a guy and losing my glasses for a while.

Archived