IGNORED

IDM Subculture

bendish

Is there such a thing?

Are there any particular hallmarks of style that are required or is it just some niche slice of a more general electronic music subculture?

Is IDM or electronic music culture ever subversive or essentially, because of links with technology (synths, drum machines, daws) just part of the mainstream commercial music industry? The spectrum from making music for car ad music to diy electronics noise makers. 

I don't really know what I'm asking tbh

Humour me.

Autechre : Gantz Graf
nme 
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Avoid as you would  a bald German

[a]Autechre[/a] records are purchased solely by bald men in expensive anoraks who would masturbate to a car alarm if it was re-mixed by a German. This impenetrable curtain of misanthropic noise – released with an accompanying three-track DVD that features a squabble of hopelessly pretentious video “interpretations” – is typical of the menopausal electro-manglers’ dogged refusal to bow to convention and produce anything of interest to anyone not either a) bald or b) German. It bleeps. It skronks. It krrraaaanks. But mainly, it blows like a ruddy awful hurricane. Remember, kids; if it sounds like a festering hillock of tune-shy bum-wank, it’s because it IS a festering hillock of tune-shy bum-wank. Avoid as you would a bald German.

Sarah Dempster

100_Cotton_Durable_Multi_Pocket_Loose_Ba

Where can I buy those? Most effective IDM ad 2017

Autechre : Gantz Graf

nme 
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Avoid as you would  a bald German

[a]Autechre[/a] records are purchased solely by bald men in expensive anoraks who would masturbate to a car alarm if it was re-mixed by a German. This impenetrable curtain of misanthropic noise – released with an accompanying three-track DVD that features a squabble of hopelessly pretentious video “interpretations” – is typical of the menopausal electro-manglers’ dogged refusal to bow to convention and produce anything of interest to anyone not either a) bald or b) German. It bleeps. It skronks. It krrraaaanks. But mainly, it blows like a ruddy awful hurricane. Remember, kids; if it sounds like a festering hillock of tune-shy bum-wank, it’s because it IS a festering hillock of tune-shy bum-wank. Avoid as you would a bald German.

Sarah Dempster

Is this one of Sean's exes?

It must be something because OPN is trying to distance himself from it as much as he can

via reddit

[–]TheDarrenJones 10 points

1 month ago 

Hey Dan! 

Any chance we will get to hear the batch of tracks you'd initially made for Warp (prior to GoD)? If I remember correctly, you referred to this batch of tracks as your shitty attempt at IDM. WANT TO HEAR!!

Can't wait for next 0PN album and looking forward to Good Time, though your soundtrack stresses me the fuck OUT! Props!

[–]0neohtrix[S] 51 points

1 month ago 

all my records start out as shitty IDM and then i remember how much i actually dont like IDM that much and everything gets better from there. so you heard it already

antIDM is the new "IDM". Contrariantronica. Post Intelligence electro. Actually, fuck that, it's too complex and ever-evolving for it to be classified with conventional musical taxonomy. His shit is as close to "genreless" as you can get but can't be coined as such because no labels can define it. 

It's barely even a music genre. There might be an "IDM scene" with loosely associated artists, labels and websites but no subculture defined by a common set of beliefs or fashion style. Just a group of people liking similar kinds of production aesthetics which might have some correlation with other tastes in different areas.