IGNORED

IDM Subculture

bendish

hearing everybody's mopey assessments of IDM is making me laugh.  

idm is the loneliest most depressing music out there

oh come on.  do you really think that, or are you just being dramatic?  perhaps you actually meant to say "people who make idm" are the most lonely and depressing people?

what happened to the fun side of IDM, everybody?  with artists like ceephax, rolando simmons, and EOD (just to name some recent artists) it's not like IDM's identity can accurately be described as depressing and lonely.

*intensifies*

you haven't really experienced idm subculture until you've crowdfunded real estate to advance understanding in the field of quasi-mythical frequency scales

OK, you win.

*intensifies*

you haven't really experienced idm subculture until you've crowdfunded real estate to advance understanding in the field of quasi-mythical frequency scales

I'm telling.

• 7 months later...

Occasionally I'll see a girl wearing a North Face jacket and consider asking what she thinks about Ae's more recent output.  I never act on it though.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

^ shame they could never werk out a sponsorship deal, imagine owning a Special Aedition North Face jacket.  I'd kick snow all over the place while rocking that shit

Also, right now on WATMM there's an OPN thread in full swing that looks like magic the fucking gathering

If that's IDM subculture I'll take 10,000 Seinfeld leaving show gifs pls

Edited by Bob Dobalina

Summer of '95 was the height of my Magic: The Gathering obsession. I remember the Polar Kraken being one of my very first cards. I think there were also knockoff card games at the time like Jyhad and Wyvern.

But this is was also two years before I first discovered two (or technically three) of WATMM's featured artists, by which time I pretty much gave up M:TG.

I once won a Magic the Gathering tournament, but had never heard IDM at the time.  OPN would have still been in diapers back then.

Pretty sure he's the same age as us duder

heh, magic subforum? I still play commander in tabletop sim from time to time.. is a bit of a martyr game tho hours and hours hoping for the one combo that never happens

I once won a Magic the Gathering tournament, but had never heard IDM at the time.  OPN would have still been in diapers back then.

Adult diapers then.

Adult diapers when.

I like a lot of the classics and a few odds n ends but IDM was seriously a huge waste of time for me. The absolute worst genre to be a snob about. Most of it is bullshit and “difficult” with a bad sense of experimentation.

Occasionally I'll see a girl wearing a North Face jacket and consider asking what she thinks about Ae's more recent output.  I never act on it though.

lol

I like a lot of the classics and a few odds n ends but IDM was seriously a huge waste of time for me. The absolute worst genre to be a snob about. Most of it is bullshit and “difficult” with a bad sense of experimentation.

this, I usually only ever listen to the featured artists and snares, the rest feels like a no mans land of no return where musical enjoyment goes to die. It's like that 'on the shoulders of giants' quote to the nth degree, except it's like retards on the shoulders of some giant

that being said I guess the 90s stuff was an aesthetic of texture and odd atmospheres over particularly strong melodies at times, but there's a spin on everything, I think that's the part that got derided as 'navel-gazing'

I didn't even really like the Artificial Intelligence series or whatever is supposed to be the 'classics', it's basically Aphex AE and the rest of the guys propping up ultimate shitgenre. Or like those video game systems that came out in the 90s where there was like one cool fighting game and one cool JRPG for the system and the rest was shovelware so anybody who bought the system basically bought it for two decent titles

Edited by Ragnar

Braindance is the absolute worst. As soon as I hear that aphexian detuned acid squiggle on someone's SC track, it invokes the same feeling of blood-weeping despair that comes from some douche playing the opening notes of Wonderwall on their guitar in public.