IGNORED

IDM Subculture

bendish

Kanye said a piece about that back in 2009

That was around the same time Falcon Heene turned into a shiny weather balloon for a day

Most IDM 2009

I was being a bit harsh maybe though I agree with Ragnar. It just seems like a lot of IDM kinda misses the point, at least to my ears. Arca is really good though. That &&&&& thing is wicked.

anybody else a little offended by the North Face jacket/sweater thing? Like it feels like it could be "intelligent dance nohomo", like purposefully wearing the most androgynous form of body wear (not like 'pretty' version of androgynous, androgynous as no strong gender signals, becomes a genderless blob, subtracts 50 pounds from the camera)

lol going too far with the theory, could just be 'my body is hideous' theory. Or autism, I like fuzzy blue sweaters, least or most 'stimmy' form of clothing

but the reason it could be nohomo is like it's always like gray or navy blue or CADET BLUE or something, nobody's going out wearing the 'putting yourself out there' neon north face jacket or tie die rainbow north face jacket, seems purposely chosen as least flamboyant form of clothing, massive virtue signalling amirite

Edited by Ragnar

I was being a bit harsh maybe though I agree with Ragnar. It just seems like a lot of IDM kinda misses the point, at least to my ears. Arca is really good though. That &&&&& thing is wicked.

I mean I thhhhhhhiiiiinkk there is supposed to be this sort of irony to IDM, like the musical progressions AREN'T supposed to make sense or lead anywhere but in a way that gets your brain confused. But there is a sense of humor to the best form of this kind of music that people completely mess up at doing.

And then probably the best IDM albums were just stealth candid and honest album in disguise, Lunatic Harness imo

Edit: u-ziq Strawberry Fields Hotel, the best idm guys prove they can make the brutally honest/candid stuff if they felt like it

Edited by Ragnar

I mean I thhhhhhhiiiiinkk there is supposed to be this sort of irony to IDM, like the musical progressions AREN'T supposed to make sense or lead anywhere but in a way that gets your brain confused. But there is a sense of humor to the best form of this kind of music that people completely mess up at doing.

And then probably the best IDM albums were just stealth candid and honest album in disguise, Lunatic Harness imo

Edit: u-ziq Strawberry Fields Hotel, the best idm guys prove they can make the brutally honest/candid stuff if they felt like it

Mountain Island Boner is a top track.

Autechre’s hip hop leanings are good too. They can get away with all kinds of wankery because abstract cyborg shits were their invention.

where I’m from everyone wears north face and white button down shirts with khakis and loafers and the girls wear the equivalent with leggings and uggs. north face isn’t idm.

lol I was thinking further about it, and like, so there are guys that just wing it and make some idumz in Fruityloops etc.? Like at least if there's gonna be the stigma of autism in the genre, go ALL THE WAY with the IDM-ness and get very elaborate and tinker-y about the production. Like you guys might deride my choice of Blok Modular for synth/sound-making stuff, but are some of these lame-o IDM pretenders just downloading every 'weird' sample pack they can find and not even getting balls deep into sound design/how to make a noise. Donald Trump Twitter SAD

it's like autism but at the same time the half-assed FL producers in denial of their own autism, lol. Like afraid to get too 'immersed' in the production process

Edited by Ragnar

Is this a jab at escape the loops? 

I don't even know anymore, just joking like obviously the featured artists etc. have a very meticulous approach (all the videos of people making 'music' with Max/MSP and Autechre just seems to make real-ass music with it seemingly effortlessly, and hours of material), and then on the other hand there's the guys trying to be 'me too' about IDM and they're just running dblue glitch or whatever

I'm not even saying "take IDM srsly", like if you're going to do/are setting out to make weird introverted tinkering music at least put your full ass into it, and get meticulous with the production/soundmaking because it's a more fulfilling musical goal anyway even if you have 'fun' with it

at the very best IDM feels like 'overproduction' but in an attention to detail way, if it's overproduced it's in ways that people don't consider that 'production' and can still be lo-fi as heck, but still be elaborate music

Edited by Ragnar

Me as a character and human being. I am definintely part of the IDM subculture. When do I get my rewards.? (dividends etc.

edit: not gonna accept bribes or some weird fucked up shit. just basically go waawy or I will shoot you dead lol, (not kidding)