IGNORED

The Bro

TheBro

19 hours ago, sTeh B L said:

If you're still working on Italo House tune, maybe introduce a part with a different melody and chords for variety?

That's the plan for sure! I always get a bit stuck how to progress things though.

On 2/20/2021 at 7:20 PM, BaggerMcGuirk said:

Nice pads.  I got a "Lone" feel from it in parts.  Good stuff. 

Wow I love Lone. Never thought this sounded like him though. Thanks though dude!

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, TheBro said:

And another one from the same time period with same equipment!!! Enjoy.

The Bro - Got Styles (from 15 - 20 Years Ago) by The Bro (soundcloud.com)

This would've fit right into the crazy acid phases of Autechres mixlr shows. Love the grungy tape sound and those voice pads.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, chim said:

This would've fit right into the crazy acid phases of Autechres mixlr shows. Love the grungy tape sound and those voice pads.

Thanks Chim!!

Anyone else enjoyed this one? Cheers.

7 hours ago, cern said:

I would let the funky bass parts bloom a bit more in the mix. Those pads are very enjoying for my ears. 

Thanks man. Niceness!!! Cheers.

That formant/degraded sound at the beginning Got Styles is super nice.  You've got a real knack for drum machine layering as well.  I have a few tracks from that era(Jeskola Buzz!), but I have a feeling they didn't age very well, lol.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/3/2021 at 8:23 PM, BaggerMcGuirk said:

That formant/degraded sound at the beginning Got Styles is super nice.  You've got a real knack for drum machine layering as well.  I have a few tracks from that era(Jeskola Buzz!), but I have a feeling they didn't age very well, lol.  

Thanks man. This was a long time back! I used to record everything to tape even though mp3 was around. I can't even remember why I did that now lol.

5 hours ago, TheBro said:

Thanks man. This was a long time back! I used to record everything to tape even though mp3 was around. I can't even remember why I did that now lol.

Adds flavor.  ?  I bought a tape deck specifically to try that with a few tracks(also to listen to old tapes).

• Like 1

It is interesting to me whenever I hear forum producer tracks from way back in the day, because to my ears they always sound very distinctly like they're from another era. This totally reminds me of something I would have heard on a synth site back in 2005ish. It's cool to see these shifts in cultural taste happening at the level of independent creators. There's some cool sounds in this - the faux acid square bas around a minute & a half in, the super-dry synth vox melody, some other stuff like that. I feel like around the turn of the decade everyone started becoming obsessed with an extremely "vibey"/hazy style, aka everything started getting drenched in echo & fuzz. Sometimes i kinda miss when most trax on music forums were sonically more like this, really computery & clean sounding

• Like 4

On 3/7/2021 at 12:31 PM, TheBro said:

Dude ... that low bitrate acid thing is pretty cool but that pad tripping over itself at the beginning of its loop: what were you thinking LOL?

But yeah, like @Cryptowen says: enough with the smother everything in reverb and distortion nonsense. Bring digital back, baby!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rhmilo said:

Bring digital back, baby

ngl I was kinda into former WATMMer Sup's New Digital Cool concept, back before he got sent to the gulag. It was suprisingly less shitposty than one might initially have expected, offering a response to the analogue fetishism of the post-Analord hobbyist producer scene - distinctly different than the one offered up by vaporwave. Whereas vaporwave consciously embraced what were previously considered "low effort" production techniques (doing small edits to mp3s of existing music) in order to sidestep the demand that any "real" producer ought to own thousands of dollars worth of vintage gear, NDE honoured the sound of the dry digital vst as being just as valid a tonal character as any detuned sqwuak from the 1970s, one fully capable of producing catchy jingles. It represented a conscious decision to stop endlessly comparing yourself to your inspirations, and to make the most out of whatever creative possibilities the current moment offered up to you

Edited by Cryptowen
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BaggerMcGuirk said:

That hoover/mentasm type thing and 909 are really catchy.  The rest of the elements didn't really jump out at me, but the foundation is solid.  

Thanks dude I'll keep working at it. Blessings!!!

I listened to "Retro Style (demo)." It was a pretty fun and playful track. I liked the weird growly bass.

There's a high pitched synth that comes in around the middle that I think could be turned down, though.

• Like 1