IGNORED

Rolando Simmons - World Building

Extralife

So does this qualify then as the first full-length Rolando Simmons album?

I would say it does. There's the volumes collection but I don't really count that as an album.

I'm not really a fan of going to the archives for tracks either. If someone asks me to make an album I sit down and make something new (with a few exceptions).

Big thanks to anyone who's bought/listened! If you like it - spread the word. If there's any questions or comments I'll be online here all day.

Yeah, already told a few friends about the new album. You have a great grip on micro pitch/blue notes, and an original twist to harmony/melody in general, lush as hell!

Love your dynamic bass tones, what's your favourite FM synth?

Big thanks to anyone who's bought/listened! If you like it - spread the word. If there's any questions or comments I'll be online here all day.

Yeah, already told a few friends about the new album. You have a great grip on micro pitch/blue notes, and an original twist to harmony/melody in general, lush as hell!

I had a TX7, really loved that one and still use what I recorded from it. Recently bought the volca FM, mainly because of its size but I use it for everything FM at the moment. Usually layered with something warmer!

t

I had a TX7, really loved that one and still use what I recorded from it. Recently bought the volca FM, mainly because of its size but I use it for everything FM at the moment. Usually layered with something warmer!

thats a really good idea.
I want to get volca series pretty soon.

What would you say the general “theme” behind World Building is?

What would you say the general “theme” behind World Building is?

It took a long time to make and I went through different phases of perceived themes. I started reading Jeff VanderMeers Southern Reach trilogy and was really inspired by that (and Umberto Ecos "Baudolino" which I haven't finished). There's a lot of Sally Mann in there as well, mostly because our house is full of her pics of people and rotting flora/fauna. I've started playing around with stripping back elements that are usually found within the genre and adding detail in other areas that I identify as my own to see where I end up. That's the theme of this one I'd say.

I take it you did some thorough multi sampling to get that expressivity? Or do you record whole performances and use them later?

Also, (obvious but) pro tip on that layering, will have to give it a go.

I've started playing around with stripping back elements that are usually found within the genre and adding detail in other areas that I identify as my own to see where I end up. That's the theme of this one I'd say.

Your approach is definitely working, congrats on yet another awesome release.

I take it you did some thorough multi sampling to get that expressivity? Or do you record whole performances and use them later?

Haha yes I do a ridiculous amount of multi sampling :)

Both individual notes and whole performances. I try to use different media to record onto to tint the layers differently. My studio isn't set up like a studio anymore, it's more of a workshop environment where I bring out different bits of gear and work with them separately for a couple of weeks at a time, switching up sequencers and working on patches. Final product is always insane patchwork and pretty counter-intuitive, but i like the sort-of-rough edges around a track built up like that.

Everything I'm hearing so far is good, Loom is particularly nice. 

Was the art something you planned or had a hand in? It's simple but strange and somehow pretty fitting with the general tone. 

Also that flutey sound that's prominent for the first minute or two of Girl of Uchter Moor is so nice, I've heard it elsewhere, on Planar Mists I think. It's a lovely tone, sounds the same at first glance at least. Can I ask what synth/whatever that's coming from?

Oh and Spirala is quite lovely as well :)