IGNORED

Spotify Artist Pages

lyst

^ Yeah I've heard this same conclusion from some producers - 36 via his facebook and a similar ethos by word of mouth by Mattewdavid of Leaving Records. They are still doing physical but accepting the fact that streaming is here to stay and dominate and re-orienting their distro to take advantage of that.

On the flipside I've seen some ambient / drone producers pretty much ignore Spotify and stick with non-streaming digital and physical merch. DJ Healer literally has stuck to vinyl only and I imagine many other techno, house, etc. producers are doing the same. 

I suppose it really depends on your fan base and your music: for some Spotify is a nil advantage over their 

Agreed on just about all of that.  There will always be those hardcore or niche areas where Vinyl and CDs and Tapes are in demand.  But that's just what they are, niche.  So instead of try to attract those fans it may be wiser to attack it from the digital and streaming, especially if you are relatively unknown and need to get some new heads into your stuff.

Won't even say how bad my recent CD sales were hahahaha.  Atrocious. Last time I ever do that shit again.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an artist page, but somehow my music as 0F.digital is spread across three identical artist names; two of which contain tracks that appeared on compilations, or on split/collab albums. The worst part is that when searching for my artist name on Spotify, only one of them shows up, and it's very difficult to find my main one (ie. the one I'm actually uploading full releases to). I've contacted them about this but keep getting automated responses.. I'll keep pestering them I guess!

• 1 month later...

I finally put up my stuff on Spotfiy (via Distrokid, got a year for hella cheap despite the general silliness of it all, gotta try for exposure more so than actual revenue I'm sure)….

so with that in mind if you're a Spotify type and wanna check out my tunes: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2BEUBkMgkgnq9caAlc7AIn?si=SLQYhT4wTHepinw0pO-Cow

I finally put up my stuff on Spotfiy (via Distrokid, got a year for hella cheap despite the general silliness of it all, gotta try for exposure more so than actual revenue I'm sure)….

so with that in mind if you're a Spotify type and wanna check out my tunes: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2BEUBkMgkgnq9caAlc7AIn?si=SLQYhT4wTHepinw0pO-Cow

Sweet! Will follow.

I have had way more fun / results from pushing Spotify these days.  Also created a playlist of my fav chill music (with a couple of my own tracks in there).  I listen to that shit actually a lot.  

Go listen / follow!

https://open.spotify.com/user/225jc76pshb7ogdhukwvjpqaq/playlist/4gGocs1pjDDMkOKEFqEqld?si=Ds6MnncXSA-lPFLHyLrUvg

Only down-side i've come to learn is that Spotify Artist Radios, while at first were great for me, i've learned just play the same shit over and over again.  I was hoping it was more varied.

• 1 month later...

Ok so after trying to find some labels for some music I did at the end of last year to no avail I'm going to put it out myself.  What's the best company to use for getting stuff on Spotify?  (additional benefits for other streaming programmes helpful).

Any help/advice welcome.

Cheers.

For anyone looking to test out putting your stuff on Spotify and other streaming platforms, Amuse is a free alternative to Distrokid. Probably not nearly as robust, and you have to use a mobile app, but I put a track up just to try it out and it's not bad

Yeah they are loosely articulated when u upload ... they take issue with use of numbers in song titles and Mixed case sequences .. at least

Hmmmm... I have a few tracks with numbers as part of the song title. Not sure I want to change that.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the headline, it's a good move but my biggest questions are as follows: do they take a cut? will they have any ownership or licensing power if you upload it? are they going to be as flippant as youtube regarding copyright claims? 3rd party distros were a barrier for many but they come with legal backing. 

Cheers to folks in this thread re: the Distrokid recommend. Going to try and throw some stuff up in a bit - still feel (weirdly) like going through them vs Spotify directly is . . . more reliable? I don't know - I expect to make 0$ off of my music, I mainly just want to be able to add songs to playlists with other Spotify stuff/have all my music in one place. 

That being said - any advice on which account to get? It seems like the 20$ for one account would be more than enough, but I like the idea of having a 2nd, "WIP/Junk" account to house things that I'd rather never really share but might still want to listen to for mixing purposes, etc. 

I'd suggest going with the cheapest account...using Spotify to house your tunes for 'not sharing' seems pretty counterintuitive to me (Soundcloud would be better for this eh?). But I guess it's all on you, I didn't see any reason for the upper tiers unless you wanted to stagger release dates or maybe for multiple artists accounts I think? Can't remember now.

Use my referral code and you'll get a discount and I'll get cash: https://distrokid.com/vip/seven/728195

But if you don't like me and want me to have money ( :emotawesomepm9:) then there's lots of discounts available for Distrokid sign up as well, check their blogposts on Medium or somewhere maybe (I did a few minutes of searching and got a good little discount)

Oh you know I'll get u dat cash :beer:

Yeah, it's mostly laziness/wanting to have everything in one place - but, like, stupid laziness; i.e., if I went through all the trouble of uploading stuff to Spotify to check a mix it'd be easier to do what I do now (which is to send to Google drive and play from there/download to phone). 

Expect OODLES OF MOOLAH COMING YOUR WAY SOON!!!! 

Well I signed up and uploaded a few tracks.  It was all pretty painless actually, it was mainly just waiting for Distrokid and Spotify to connect so I can get the "Spotify For Artists" page working.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/6qxMpxzezWYJMUGqAz8I6O?si=mEW-Op5DS4iiA1DOiJ5Qtw

that's my artist page.  The 1st EP is quite old now as I'll be releasing things in order that they were done, the quality will pick up over the next few :D

• 4 weeks later...

Well I signed up and uploaded a few tracks.  It was all pretty painless actually, it was mainly just waiting for Distrokid and Spotify to connect so I can get the "Spotify For Artists" page working.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/6qxMpxzezWYJMUGqAz8I6O?si=mEW-Op5DS4iiA1DOiJ5Qtw

that's my artist page.  The 1st EP is quite old now as I'll be releasing things in order that they were done, the quality will pick up over the next few :D

That is some lush stuff man.  You are now followed on Spotify and Soundcloud.

I got a new jawn coming out tomorrow, pre-save it if you dare.   :diablo:

https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/mylamine/fcC3

That is some lush stuff man.  You are now followed on Spotify and Soundcloud.

I got a new jawn coming out tomorrow, pre-save it if you dare.   :diablo:

https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/mylamine/fcC3

Ditto'd (droid I actually put this on at work on Friday when working through some database stuff, found myself drifting off into the music  - this is a good thing).

Pre-saved lyst. Hoping your post means Satan will actually come spewing forth from the earth tomorrow  :happy:

EDIT: Not worth a thread bump so just editing this post - stuff is now up on Spotify (link in sig). Ta to Aux for the recommend/referral on Distrokid (still owe ya that fiver/a beer sometime :-))

Archived