IGNORED

Various - Memories Overlooked: A Tribute To The Caretaker

purlieu

If last week’s new Caretaker installment and additional 16-song album weren’t enough to satisfy your Leyland Kirby fix, then how about 100 more Caretaker-related tracks?!? [wild applause] Nmesh, the plundering madman/genius who released one of our favorite records of 2017 in Pharma, has curated a massive compilation titled Memories Overlooked: A Tribute To The Caretaker. True to its title, the comp features over 90 artists who together pay tribute to Kirby’s six-part exploration of dementia, Everywhere at the end of time. Like that ongoing album, Memories Overlooked is “mixed and arranged in accordance with the advancement of the disease.”

According to Alex Koenig (a.k.a. Nmesh), “The project began as a compilation for the fans, by the fans — yet upon receiving numerous submissions from artists whose family members had battled with dementia, it seemed to take on a more meaningful purpose.” In addition to a track by Koenig himself, other artists on the comp include such TMT-friendly acts as Treasure Hunt, Ben Zimmerman, 猫シ Corp., Diamondstein, and many more.

The best part is that 100% of the digital proceeds will be donated to the Alzheimer’s Association, a “voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research.” And if you wanna show monetary support for the artists who made it all happen while also ensuring that the medium itself will deteriorate over time, complementing the digital release will be a limited-edition 4x cassette box set, which will be released via No Problema Tapes sometime before the end of the year.

Watch FookedonHonix’s trailer for Memories Overlooked: A Tribute To The Caretaker below, and look for the digital release October 27 via Bandcamp.

01. New Shoppe - Some day (things will get better)
02. qualchan. - Will i see you tonight?
03. /Zarathrusta - Where was that place we were at where the other people live
04. Bonus Fruit - The ships are leaving
05. Memoirs - The age of reason
06. Snakepiss - The ghost of stefan von bon bon bobo
07. Treasure Hunt - Bushwood
08. Aeon Lost - The Colorado lounge
09. Incarta’95 - Longing
10. パラレルドリーマー - Faceless reflection
11. Furaito - I am not the caretaker, I was only dancing while I slept
12. Geordie Southen - I can’t stand seeing you like this
13. Arcipluvian - Esoteric abyss
14. Diamondstein - Nickelodeon
15. aubdat - The faded scent of perfume
16. V//Tomo - The haze begins to fill the cracks
17. Prisoner Pig - J’oublie les détails sordides
18. Thomas Santucci - The seventh stroke of a key
19. reef frequent - Still drowning
20. leaaves – It’s such a tragic world we leave behind
21. Jacques le Boulanger - Begin the beguine
22. 猫シ Corp. - Palm mall (1964)
23. METAPRISE APPLICATIONS - Cubicle nap brings dreams of cryptomnesia
24. Memoirs - Hold me in paradise
25. F nT sm - Full bliss
26. Meat Fairy - Bye bye, blackbird
27. Fed Lithe - Bee mee moo fru hig sul
28. albinotron - The walls are talking
29. Ben Zimmerman - Olde school
30. Lo Five - Roundelay
31. Flown - I only want to talk
32. Furaito - Portland
33. KMRD Radio - Crumbling regime
34. Aeon Lost - The red room
35. Devaso House - Cranial capacity research
36. First Kings - And the dead end in every face
37. BLEECH - Blueprint skyline
38. You, the End - Now you’re fading memory, and that’s just fine
39. Subversive Intentions - Clouds in the mountains, fog in the forest
40. Kotekan - …And one year less
41. Memoirs - Home
42. Ancient Loops - Does your memory stray to a bright summer day?
43. mr_jeep - The sinking of the titanic
44. PowerPCME - Conversations
45. cubus - Even though the ground is steep we cannot fail to reach the sky
46. Chris Kiehne - Blue ghost
47. Ancient Loops - As dark as the night
48. APOXUPON - In my dreams you don’t need a name
49. Broken Machine Films presents… - Haunted beachline
50. Captain Ersatz - Bless our empty dreams
51. St_rD_st - The funland that doesn’t exist
52. roboleptic - Caretaken
53. Confusician - Meditation under cobwebs (1917 version)
54. R0x4ry - Dance until our bodies drop
55. The Grateful Dead UK - Futur antérieur (for Mark Fisher)
56. Mute Channel - It’s time
57. dreyt nien - Ten seconds
58. Ghost Dope - 0909 (Imagine me gone)
59. Auberge - From Timbuktu to Portland, Maine. or Portland, Oregon for that matter
60. m a l i b l u e : ( - Dissociative
61. Sarnadas - No land (edit)
62. VHSテープリワインダー - Blossoms
63. Ancient Loops - The melody of love
64. Kamulja - Demend
65. Tyler Mathoyi - Ciel terne
66. Nmesh - Spirits for coping with spirits
67. Dorosoto - Moonlight factory blues
68. Aeon Lost - The gold room
69. Jude Frankum - One more dance
70. Hex-A-Decimal - And my spirit slipped through the concrete and flesh
71. International Debris - Further back than I care to remember
72. PZA - Mr. Grady, you were the caretaker here
73. Sepha - Abandoned
74. Mim Ilk - Upraise
75. black_ops - Perdition
76. Pray For Triangle Zero - Field of dawn
77. Wry One - Let go
78. 企業災害 - ラジオドリフト
79. anmlmthr - Church090829
80. [THESANITY] - Who threw that ham?
81. Broken Machine Films presents… - My and heighty II
82. My Reaper - Still haunted
83. HCMJ - Wintermond
84. Steel Diamonds - Thoughtless
85. Auberge - Life above the sea at a moment’s glance
86. Tsunxmi - Hikikomori
87. Well - Leave the discussion at this point
88. Sepha - Dragged
89. St_rD_st - The candy shop within the mist
90. Broken Machine Films presents… - My and heighty I
91. Nevhar Anhar - Ballad of the slow mist
92. 無限 Existence - Prime number
93. Jónó Mí Ló - La lutte
94. The Agromaniac - The ashtray echo
95. Auberge - To affirm into vivacity of solitude
96. fdsdf - A dim light beneath the water
97. The CF Corporation - Blackstone
98. Ghost Dope - 0505050505050505
99. THUGWIDOW - De natura sonoris 3
100. Austin Godburn - Reflection

Thanks for posting, Ross.  I'll add my little blurb here:

"Memories Overlooked: A Tribute To The Caretaker", is a collaborative effort of over 90 artists, paying tribute to the visionary works of Leyland Kirby -- in particular his Caretaker project, a long-running ambient affair exploring memory, nostalgia, and more recently, the effects of dementia. In proper fashion, this compilation was diagnosed with having early onset dementia, and is mixed and arranged in accordance with the advancement of the disease. Every passing hour, to quote Mr. Kirby in regards to his 'Everywhere At The End Of Time' series, "will reveal new points of progression, loss and disintegration. Progressively falling further and further towards the abyss of complete memory loss and nothingness."

100% of the digital proceeds of this compilation will be donated to the Alzheimer's Association, who for 37 years, have been advancing research to end Alzheimer's and dementia while enhancing care for those living with the disease. The prestigious No Problema Tapes will be releasing an exclusive run of 4x cassette box sets before the end of the year. (stay sharp...)

So let's all raise a golden drink to Leyland Kirby aka The Caretaker. We know the score.

Releases FRIDAY 10/27/17

• 3 weeks later...
"MEMORIES OVERLOOKED: A TRIBUTE TO THE CARETAKER" is out now: https://caretakertribute.bandcamp.com/

unnamed-616x440.png

"Isn't, in fact, theoretically pure anterograde amnesia the postmodern condition par excellence? The present - broken, desolated is constantly erasing itself, leaving few traces. Things catch your attention for a while but you do not remember them for very long. But old memories persist, intact... Constantly commemorated... I love 1923..." - Mark Fisher 'Ghosts Of My Life' 

"Memories Overlooked: A Tribute To The Caretaker", is a collaborative effort of over 90 artists, paying tribute to the visionary works of Leyland Kirby -- in particular his Caretaker project, a long-running ambient affair exploring memory, nostalgia, and more recently, the effects of dementia. In proper fashion, this compilation was diagnosed with having early onset dementia, and is mixed and arranged in accordance with the advancement of the disease. Every passing hour, to quote Mr. Kirby in regards to his 'Everywhere At The End Of Time' series, "will reveal new points of progression, loss and disintegration. Progressively falling further and further towards the abyss of complete memory loss and nothingness." The project began as a compilation for the fans, by the fans - yet upon receiving numerous submissions from artists whose family members had battled with dementia, it seemed to take on a more meaningful purpose. 

100% of the digital proceeds of this compilation will be donated to the Alzheimer's Association (www.alz.org), who for 37 years, have been advancing research to end Alzheimer's and dementia while enhancing care for those living with the disease. The prestigious No Problema Tapes will be releasing an exclusive run of 4x cassette box sets before the end of the year. (stay sharp...) 

Let's all raise a golden drink to Leyland Kirby, aka The Caretaker. We know the score. 

Exclusive 4x cassette box sets will be available via No Problema Tapes in the coming months: noproblematapes.bandcamp.com

Awesome! Glad I got to be a part of this (as KMRD Radio) I'll definitely be picking this up!

It's a great cause that's close to me as well, lost my own grandfather to dementia, and my wife's grandfather is slowly slipping away due to Alzheimer's. If the proceeds of this comp help even just a little then I'm proud to contribute.

Super into this comp. I really like the streak of tracks Ben Zimmerman -> Lo Five -> Flown (nice job westhead and Blank!) And also Devaso House -> First Kings -> BLEECH. The cubus track is incredible, what a great composition!

Really fun to hear people's experiments in this sound palette.

Honored to be on here with 3 tracks, one as Kotekan and two as Sepha. Some background, my maternal uncle and grandfather both suffered from premature memory loss and dementia, and seeing my uncle slowly lose himself until his short term memory was about 30 seconds long and he could not take care of himself has had a major effect on me. My tracks as Sepha use 78s from my grandpa and grandma's collection of jazz records as the main source material. Stuff they danced to when they were young, deteriotated by time and use...

'MEMORIES OVERLOOKED: A TRIBUTE TO THE CARETAKER' is name-your-own-price on Bandcamp all day today (Friday 11/03) until midnight EST: https://caretakertribute.bandcamp.com/

The compilation has grossed $401.00 as of yesterday afternoon, which comes to roughly $318.87 after BC's revenue share and Paypal fees - I'll be making the first donation on the 1-month anniversary of it's release date, which I will undoubtedly make a post about - thanks to all who have opened their wallets and donated to the cause - I hope everyone is (and will) enjoy the album as much as I do.

Again, all proceeds are going to the Alzheimer's Association, so please give what you can.

- alex

23172559_1950608324956902_51631736902453

The cubus track is incredible, what a great composition!

Bless you man, heard it so many times now I've lost any perception of whether it's actually any good or not, plus it seems completely overshadowed by the incredible track that follows by Chris Kiehne. Just stunning, and quite possibly the first track I've heard this year that's given me goose bumps - there's something about the piano that really makes me nostalgic in the same way oddly as the end scene of T2 with the monolgue and shot of the road - I had to repeat the track 4 times in a row to take the beauty all in !

Yeah, the Chris Kiehne track is stunning as well. I really like the two together, it's a good pairing. Alex did a great job putting these together, thoughout most of the compilation it has an album-like flow and feel, which is missing from a lot of compilations.

It took me a while to notice the art getting darker and darker, as the tracks get more bleak. Really clever

Yeah, the Chris Kiehne track is stunning as well. I really like the two together, it's a good pairing. Alex did a great job putting these together, thoughout most of the compilation it has an album-like flow and feel, which is missing from a lot of compilations.

It took me a while to notice the art getting darker and darker, as the tracks get more bleak. Really clever

both the cubus and Chris Kiehne tracks are absolutely stunning - I felt they were a natural pairing - thank you for kind words Sepha, most of the time spent on my part over the last few months was carefully arranging everything in a manner where each track transitioned or segued well, but even more importantly, the album as a whole transitioned from upbeat / carefree into total darkness / hysteria..  nice catch on the darkening artwork

- alex

My buddy APOXUPON is on this - he is a big fan of The Caretaker and thanks to NMESH posting here earlier I was able to give him heads up.

Thanks for putting this together, look forward to digesting this over the next few days.

• 3 weeks later...

For those who might be interested, RADIO ORANGE 94.0 in Austria did a special feature on the 'Memories Overlooked' compilation, which is now available to stream and download - you may want to brush up on your German beforehand!

- Track listing and info HERE.

- Direct download can be found HERE.

Noise # 3 Memory Overlooked: A Tribute To The Caretaker
November 21, 2017

Welcome to a new edition of Grundrauschen, the experimental music format on Radio Orange. We spend the next hour in unfamiliar togetherness, between the creaking of crazy chairs, the heavy fog that lays as oppressively thick as a blanket over the November nights, and sonic worlds that are entirely in tribute to the great artist Leyland Kirby. His project "The Caretaker", namely, has devoted itself for years to the ambient abysses of physical and mental decay, explores the complexity of human reminiscence, nostalgic feelings and not least a special form of expression of a commonly known as dementia brain disease - that of Anterograde amnesia. The British cultural scientist Mark Fisher, who unfortunately left us too early, described this disease in one of his last books "Ghosts of my Life" as a symptomatic state of postmodernity. Old memories persist, remain intact and indelible as new contents of consciousness are quickly forgotten. This is the background to the idea of ​​The Caretaker to create music that can not be spatially or temporally captured in its melody, in its structure and arrangement, reminiscent of the bygone era, but with the next piece in the distance dies. Inspired by Mark Fisher and, of course, the work of a Leyland Kerby aka The Caretaker, Recently, 100 artists released an equal number of pieces as a tribute compilation on Bandcamp, the proceeds of which will benefit 100% of the Alzheimer's Association. In this next lesson, therefore, we will hear some excerpts from this wonderful collection of reverberating lyricism and nostalgia in all its transitoriness.

Support the artists: Memory Overlooked on Bandcamp 

All proceeds will benefit the Alzheimer's Association.

Track list of the program: 
1) Flown - I only want to talk 
2) F nT sm - Full Bliss 
3) Incarta'95 - Longing 
4) Memoirs - Home 
5) Diamondstein - Nickelodeon 
6) reef frequent - Still drowning 
7) anmlmthr - Church090829 
8) Jacques le Boulanger - Begin the beguine 
9) PZA - Mr. Grady, 
10) Memoirs - The age of reason 
11) Auberge - From Timbuktu to Portland, Maine. or Portland, Oregon for that matter 
12) V-Tomo 
13) Ben Zimmerman - Olde school 
14) Ancient Loops - 
15) Jónó Mí Ló - La lutte
16) cubus - Even though the ground is steep we can not fail to reach the sky 
17) Aeon Lost - The Colorado lounge 
18) R0x4ry - Dance until our bodies drop 
19) leaaves - It's such a tragic world we leave behind

old-record-player.gif

i dont understand why a tribute  he doesnt seem dead ?

Yes, it would "appear" he is still among the living - I'm not aware of any rule that states an individual has to be deceased in order to pay homage - Please cite your sources.

Any word on the tape release?

They're currently being dubbed - I'll have more details on this later in the month.

• 3 weeks later...
'Memories Overlooked: A Tribute To The Caretaker' (NOP-072) 4x cassette box sets are now available from No Problema Tapes. Limited run of 100.

Curated by Nmesh, 'Memories Overlooked' is a collaborative effort of over 90 artists, paying tribute to the visionary works of Leyland Kirby, in particular his Caretaker project, a long-running ambient affair exploring memory, nostalgia, and more recently, the effects of dementia.

Includes tracks by Diamondstein, 猫 シ Corp., Reef Frequent, HCMJ, Powerpcme, M a l i b l u e : (, International Debris, PZA, Incarta'95, Leaaves, METAPRISE APPLICATIONS, and many more.

0012118584_10.jpg

0012118585_10.jpg

0012118587_10.jpg

0012118758_10.jpg

Tape set ordered.  That'll get me through January.  Managed to hold off listening to this so I'm looking forward to it all the more.  With this amount of music it might even keep me busy til Stage Four in March  :music:

Tape set looks awesome snagged one this morning. Truly awesome comp, and great cause. Glad to be on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived