IGNORED

using game controller as midi controller in windows10

juiceciuj

i find it very hard to believe that in 2017 there isn't a simple solution to this. but unless i'm just using the worst search queries there doesn't appear to be. all i can seem to come across are 10 year old guides for using software that doesn't run on anything past xp or is straight up impossible to find a download for (fjoymidi, rejoice, midiyoke).

halp

okay i got it to work!!!

map controller inputs to midi values with fergo joystickMIDI: http://www.fergonez.net/index.php?lang=en&page=apps&pid=14

using the loopbe1 virtual midi driver to send the signal to prog of choice (flstudio). loopbe1: http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html

i can calibrate all the buttons w/o issue. however, i'm having a hard time understanding how to set up the joystick to do anything. bear in mind this is just a 4 switch sanwa joystick so just an x/y axis. ideally i would like for the neutral position to be midi off and each of the four cardinal directions to send a midi event but i cannot seem to figure out how to get it to work. this is the configuration menu:

DGT6Lo9.png

you can only choose three "types" for each macro. note on, note off, and cc. whenever i choose note on it only triggers a note when the stick goes back to neutral. if i choose cc, nothing happens. this is in flstudio. i've kind of only done the very most basic stuff w/midi before so there's probably something dead simple i'm not seeing -_-

setting it "right" just does what i was saying. it only triggers an event when the stick returns to neutral. and it acts as if the key is permanently depressed. these are the settings that yield that result:

MugcueF.png

max can't be higher than min -_-

rejoice won't load even in compatibility mode. no clue how to use mjoy and i've just spent a couple of hours googling and futzing with this stuff and now my eyes are crossing and i'm dog ass tired x_x

From the Reddit thread:

There’s software to map the buttons on your controller to keys on your keyboard, and then you’d just map the keyboard in ableton.

• 3 weeks later...

My solution would be to build a Pure Data patch which interacts with the joystick. There's some info for that here (meant for USB joysticks): https://forum.pdpatchrepo.info/topic/1952/joystick-to-midi-patch

Then once you got what you need from the joystick, you can recalculate the values so that it sends out what midi messages you want.

Archived