IGNORED

Kids and making music

TheBro

If you've got kids at what are they interested in playing with/making music or learning piano etc? I have two kids and my little girl shows not much interest but my boy seems more curious and he's only 1.5 years!! I say that if I get some Ipad synth on then my girl plays with it but I'm not sure she's that interested.

My daughter plays cornet. Ha...yeah.  Middle school band. Maybe ska in her future...

My other 2 don't play anything and show little interest. My youngest used to really feel drumbeats & thought I might get a drummer, but it has waned.

I used to try to coax them into taking lessons on piano or guitar but it never happened. Who knows, it might all change though. I didn't start playing bass until I was like 15. There's still time for them, but I'm not the most pushy guy when it comes to these kinda things. I'm just hoping they navigate through school the best they can. God the drama of middleschool is soul crushing.

Sounds like you got your hands full!! My kids are very young .... 1.5 years and almost 4. I think I'll let my boy start to play with the Monotron when he's two or three and see how that goes. I'm showing my little girl chords on the Casio SA46 keyboard I got for her and she's sort of getting it but its a slow process lol.

It's a terrible cliche, but time flies. Enjoy every moment you can. God I wish my older kids were like 4/5 years old again. Simpler, simpler times. Not to say it ain't all good, but man...the preteens may be the death of me. I'll be getting my comeuppance I suppose for the way I lived my youth. ugh.

Ha ha yeah I'm enjoying them when they're young. Time does fly I guess but I suppose you adapt and all. :-)

yea you adapt, you drink a lot more.

Guest Chesney

Just had another baby boy a few days ago. Have 3 boys now. Eldest is definitely the more academic with an arty imagination, does not show that much interest but sometimes will ask to play on a guitar or keyboard. Middle one is 3 and he wants a guitar for christmas and is always rocking out with air guitar when music is on. When he was about 1ish he was in the studio and made a wicked sounding arpeggio on the JP4 so I quickly recorded it. He's a bit more unruly and mischievous and def gonna be musical I think.

Kids are ace! I just wish time wouldn't disappear so quickly.

My kid is 2, and I have another on the way. My toddler was super into messing with the piano from the time he could sit up, til a few months ago when he kinda lost patience/interest. I'm not trying to push anything on him obviously, but he loves dancing to music, and likes hearing my music. He's mostly just into banging on shit and being loud, which makes sense developmentally. I dont have any expectations for my kids making music, but I expect they'll get into some kind of art at least casually, and I cant wait to see what they do

My kid is 2, and I have another on the way. My toddler was super into messing with the piano from the time he could sit up, til a few months ago when he kinda lost patience/interest. I'm not trying to push anything on him obviously, but he loves dancing to music, and likes hearing my music. He's mostly just into banging on shit and being loud, which makes sense developmentally. I dont have any expectations for my kids making music, but I expect they'll get into some kind of art at least casually, and I cant wait to see what they do

Mine is 2 as well. My parents gave him a nice acoustic guitar that is toddler sized and he's strummed along and sung gibberish / babble to it. He actually used to play with a toy piano, including this kind, a lot more. Now he's more into playing with blocks, cars, other toys. But everyone seems to like singing or humming around him. My in-laws like playing music too or goofin' off. 

He sings a lot of made up songs here and there. They play music and have a person come by once a week at his daycare. We also listen to non-children's music in the car a lot and he like kid's shows with songs interspersed throughout. It's neat seeing what they like and perk up too randomly. My wife and I play our favs too but don't force it. He's pretty damn observant - like my mom listens to 60s and 70s country and current stuff that sounds like that and weeks after seeing her my son heard similar stuff on the radio and called it "granny music." 

I want him to at least give an instrument a whirl. I regret not learning an instrument and sticking with it. Played trumpet for a couple years but forgot how. I need to give guitar playing another whirl.

OT: My kid is playing with LEGOs now and I am jazzed about it. I have been going all in on my creations for him, I made a jumbo jet that could fit a whole crowd of lego people, and he destroyed it when he got tired and frustrated. C'est la vie.

He's also super into me playing Super Mario 64. he calls it "jumpy marney kark" because we had a Mario Kart phase a while back, and this is the one where Mario jumps a lot.

Anyway...

• 3 weeks later...

amazing

OT: My kid is playing with LEGOs now and I am jazzed about it. I have been going all in on my creations for him, I made a jumbo jet that could fit a whole crowd of lego people, and he destroyed it when he got tired and frustrated. C'est la vie.

He's also super into me playing Super Mario 64. he calls it "jumpy marney kark" because we had a Mario Kart phase a while back, and this is the one where Mario jumps a lot.

Anyway...

hey sorry I was an asshole in that thread before.

anyhow I have noticed that kids still think nintendo 64s rule. this to me is a good sign.

Archived