IGNORED

maelstrom jungle/breakcore

GetSquirrely

• 4 weeks later...

EXTREMELY enjoyable tunes, following on soundcloud now. There is something so refreshingly straightforward (but still musically complex) about these tracks. Definitely loving all the microedits that something like a tracker brings. 

With that in mind - you mentioned earlier on that you turn interpolate off, can you explain why you do this/how it effects the sound? Also - any quick tips on trackers? Most of my attempts to write breakneck speed stuff ends up w/ the drums sounding too. . . clinical maybe? There is a great "organic" feel to your songs (particular in the beats) that I find missing from my stuff. . . 

thanks, i appreciate the follow  :beer:

from my understanding, interpolation basically removes the artifacts that come from playing samples at different pitches, or lower bitrates. turning it off can give the sound a really sharp, glassy feel, common with oldschool jungle.

here's an example: https://clyp.it/dbxh3mzk. the first amen break has interpolation on, the second one doesn't, leaving it way crunchier! sounds much better in my opinion.

and something that helped me big time learning trackers was looking at other people's mods. they're huge insights as to how certain effects are done, irregardless of what specific tracker you're using. bogdan raczynski has a big .zip of his tracker files out there somewhere, and sites like aminet.net have archives of files. oldschool jungle mods are my favorite to look through, it's amazing how some people got such huge sounds out of just 4 channels and a couple megabytes worth of samples. renoise is compatible with most old tracker formats, so you can load them in a look at them no problem, even rip the samples out for some oldschool flavor  :music:

:beer: cheers m8!

Ahh, ok! that clyp is very helpful. . . will mess around with this when I get home. 

Heard re: using mod files. When I first was mucking around I found the mutant breaks contests were a nice way to find useful renoise files, but after that sort of found it challenging to know where to look for other files (tho many folks were kindly willing to share if asked). Will check out aminet - really do find that old-school jungle sound so compelling. Much appreciation terrifying squirrel face man! ^_^
!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks, i've been meaning to do a longer mix of that one, but i opened up the files yesterday and all versions i have of it are suddenly corrupted. some tracks missing all patterns and fx chains/vsts not working at all. no idea what happened.  :shrug:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow ... maybe it's the nostalgia talking, but these are a lot of fun!

Agreed with Snack Master, though - ultimately this is mostly about the beats and not, to my tastes, enough about the rest. This is not uncommon for this genre but for me personally it causes my attention to drift after a while. For me, tracks with more space and diversity in the beats, like "arrow of time", are more interesting to listen to.

That said - this is really, really cleverly done and very well executed. So feel free to ignore my 2 cents - clearly you know what you're doing.

thanks guys, i appreciate all of the comments!

Wow ... maybe it's the nostalgia talking, but these are a lot of fun!

Agreed with Snack Master, though - ultimately this is mostly about the beats and not, to my tastes, enough about the rest. This is not uncommon for this genre but for me personally it causes my attention to drift after a while. For me, tracks with more space and diversity in the beats, like "arrow of time", are more interesting to listen to.

That said - this is really, really cleverly done and very well executed. So feel free to ignore my 2 cents - clearly you know what you're doing.

any feedback is useful to me! i kept the breaks relatively simple on my last few tracks to work more with the melodies since i mostly avoided any key changes or progression beforehand, other than what was already in the samples i was using. i have a bunch of break workouts on my hdd but i keep most of them to myself because it's tough to move them into a cohesive thought, although lately i've been wanting to get back into the speedier side of things. hyperforce is the first track i've done >160 bpm in 4 or 5 months. it doesnt go crazy with the breaks, but it feels good working with that energy again

Archived