IGNORED

Sophie "It's Okay To Cry"

BoomTssPhace

I think "immaterial" is the only song I sorta like on the album. because it sounds a bit more like bipp, but shittier. "Infatuation" is decent but it could be a Mssingno track and bang harder. If this album would've come out in 2013 it would've made a lot more sense. After 5 years of 'experimental club' this whole hyperactive rnb aesthetic is just tiring to me. It is a music scene made up entirely of graphic design students.

Man you nailed it.

Back in 2013-2014 when I listened to this stuff, and the pcmusic SoundCloud had like 300 followers, I know part of me only listened because I was in a small group of people who got it. QT will always be a fav, but I saw it in a more vaporwave pureness realm.

Now I wonder if I ever even liked it, especially because there is such an obvious throughline from pcmusic to nitecore to bronyism back to Sophie.

Social media really has introduced and sequentially poisoned so many things I’ve loved.

Now I wonder if I ever even liked it, especially because there is such an obvious throughline from pcmusic to nitecore to bronyism back to Sophie.

Social media really has introduced and sequentially poisoned so many things I’ve loved.

It's music you muppet. Listen to it with your body.

I also really agree with d lo in this thread, besides the holly Herndon post. Her music is like an electronic music gateway for people in Portland who mainly rotate mazzy star, Fiona Apple, bjork, beck, and Joanna newsom.

Like the selling point is “I record my voice and process/manipulate it”

I could listen to the entire Sophie album before I could listen to that single Herndon song. I didn’t last 10 seconds. I listened to a good 10 min of Sophie while I was ITT in bed last nite, thru my broken phone speaker.

This reminds me a lot of Decomposure's stuff. I like both.

Also, I think Faceshopping is a pretty great track.

Edited by Xyrofen

Who gives a dick if you are queer, straight, bi, dolphin, or hermit crab. If you make great music you make great music. If not, go fuck yourself.

Knowing about electronic music also means shiite. Innovaters don't prescribe to genres and music norms.

Nah, I care. If you are a motherfuckin hermit crab and you make sick tracks, that is game changing. That would be the crazy smallest live show ever.

I don't really see any semblance between these two artists output other than the fact that they're both females making electronic music. It's like oh, you like four Tet? Aphex twin is much better bro.

• 5 months later...

I don't really see any semblance between these two artists output other than the fact that they're both females making electronic music. It's like oh, you like four Tet? Aphex twin is much better bro.

For good arbitrary measure I'm going to mention JLin and Grouper.

yay no we're like every other internet discussion thread about electronic music

uh lol dont we do that all the time? it's also fact

Edited by dr lopez

Same here. 

It's also fucked with the basic concepts of context and what music of a certain genre is "canon" or not. It's really bad post - /mu, RYM, and reddit. Fuckload of kids (mostly) regurgitating the same faux knowledge, the same hype, the same misinformation and superficial hot takes. More effort in meta commentary than substantive or sincere reflections. People who actually do are either in their own bubbles (WATMM would be an example of that IMO) or are prone to be called gatekeepers. There's this who "pleb versus patrician" debate I've seen referenced that literally does not include actual fans or music writers with true merit and knowledge. FB, the twitterspere, reddit, YT, etc. is all one collective crazy circle jerk and you're either self-aware of it or blissfully engaged in that echochamber.

It's insane how my head space and internal thought process and then subsequently my memories reset when I take a break from it. I return to older perspectives. Nostalgia, true nostalgia, seeps in with refreshed clarity. My own unique imaginative thoughts, ideas, and imagery creeps in.Fond recollections of CDs listened to, books checked out from a library and read, people watching while waiting in line at Six Flags. It's bizarre how I've documented more of myself in the digital medium - posts online, photos stored on HDs, etc. than I ever did prior to say, 5-10 years ago and yet I can recall mundane things from childhood better than places I went to and experienced a year ago. Sometimes I day dream about my memory of living a day without internet or streaming media at my command.

Fumi mentioned once how he'd listened to vaporwave so much it was affecting, degrading, distorting, and warping actual memories he had of the era and media the genre pulls from. It's a weird thing to realize your brain is moving out deeper memories of retro stuff you actually cherished for a flippant skimming of instragram posts or soundcloud tracks. 

Edited by joshuatx