IGNORED

Sophie "It's Okay To Cry"

BoomTssPhace

I guess his thread became four pages ??

Anyways i totally get Sophie doing this type of thing. Campy pop has always been in her artillery...this track was practically made for drag show lip syncing. However my favorite of Sophie will always be this type of shit right here:

Also did someone say good queer musicians? Hmmmmmm let's see..Casey Spooner, The Black Madonna, Kaytranada, Arca (obviously), Tiga, Patrick Cowley, Kindness...i know i'm missing a bunch. DJ Hell isn't queer himself, but that recent track was directly inspired by Tom of Finland and all that leather beefcake stuff. Also the two singers in The xx are both queer, i just learned that recently

• 1 month later...

fucking YES

I can't get enough of that track, it really fits in with the stuff I've been producing lately, the sound design is SO GOOD, I've never heard anyone make heavy distorted beats sound so clear, it's mental. Anyone know for sure if she's still using the monomachine for this stuff? The clangs sure sound like monomachine.

Um that track is fucking DOPE and haters may be excused now.

Yeah those clangs definitely sound like MnM chorus, fuck, I need to do my own cheap low budget knockoff version of this sound.

me too thanks

Where is that beat from? I've heard it before. I mean, I know most basic dance beats have been recycled partially/entirely but that one struck me as being totally from something else after the first measure.

Not that she sampled it, but the rhythm.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I like this (latest?) one.

Jesusfuckingchristlol. Sorry.

Edited by Gocab

I can really sympathize with the criticism electroclash got from a lot of house and techno artists back in y2k era. Big similarities. But Sophie and Arca are definitely harsher and more abrasive. I can appreciate this from an artistic standpoint, but the result is offputting, probably because I perceive it as having pretense. Some kind of defined artistic statement. This music takes the scraps of experimental and abstract music and assembles it into pop art, and pop art can only go so far in its appeal, according to my taste.

Here is a cool interview with sophie tho: http://pcmusic.boards.net/thread/249/sophie-interview-travel-almanac