IGNORED

KICK DRUMS

Salvatorin

Depends on the genre, really. Lately, I've gotten into making one in FM8 and then layering other kicks on top of it. When I layer them, I try to occupy different frequency ranges for a fuller sound.

I only use locally-grown and harvested kicks that were sourced using non-GMO bass drum skins and performed to strict artisanal standards enforced in local co-ops, regulated by a board of native peoples, kicked out from a vegan, gluten-free, raw foods & paleo advocating drummer who is himself a small business owner and entrepreneur and occasionally my Lyft driver.

You have to support those things you value and be the change you want to see in the world.

I get my bass drums any way i can. sample, create using synths, heavily effecting shitty kick drums or other sounds, using a drum machine (Rytm is my current love), or through any other means I may deem fitting. There's no formula and it all depends on the track, though what I mentioned above are my 'go-to' options. Rytm produces the best kick drum in the business, imo, as far as electronic music goes

For kicks I don't fuck around - almost always just a kick sample from a sound bank. I can fuck around with snares, hihats, etc, making them organic, recording shit and making it rhythmic, but I found that I want my kicks to sound clean and banging. Most kicks are from Smokers Refill for Reason. You layer two of them, EQ them differently and you can tailor a pumping kick for any need you have.

you can achieve that in a sampler with no probs. tie velocity to filter cutoff on a lowpass, maybe randomise pitch very slightly with each hit too.

Yes you can, IF you know your sampler. Hence, sausage.

I have jammed with people that shelled out a couple thousand bucks for the whole Push, etc. setup and I can dial in the snare I want on their own fucking rig better than they can because they "don't know sound design." Baffles my fucking mind.

My point being, it's not about the sample. It's about knowing how to make it more like the thing you want it to be next.

I usually use something from my Micro-X.

I did try a Live tutorial for setting up a drum rack full of samples so that there'd be like 127 different choices for the bass drum that you could cycle through but that made my computer almost shit itself, so after that I kind of stay away from fancier ways to get my kicks. I should just try to set up some dumb layering and EQing style setup for drums so I can twiddle some easy knobs.

My best kicks come from the 0-coast or nord modular, or even nanoloop 2. Volca Kick if I'm feeling like something a bit more hard hitting.

Usually though I just layer 2–3 drum machine kick sounds; I've been really getting into using a separate track for the "click" and "boom" parts.

i run samples from ableton through my korgasmatron or belgrad filter in my eurorack, then modulate the FM on those filters with an envelope generator. basically the same as randomer is doing up in that vid. 

sometimes i add reverb in before the filter+envelope stage, sometimes after. fabfilter saturn is a pretty amazing VST saturation unit for kicks aswell. 

My best kicks come from the 0-coast or nord modular, or even nanoloop 2. Volca Kick if I'm feeling like something a bit more hard hitting.

Usually though I just layer 2–3 drum machine kick sounds; I've been really getting into using a separate track for the "click" and "boom" parts.

I've done the two-layered thing before in Ableton but just recently been trying it out on the Rytm as well. Very interesting results for me, definitely a route for kick drum connoisseurs to consider. *puts on monocle*

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

splitting layered kicks into different frequency bands and processing the high end with some verb or delay to give space

parallel compression does wonders

lately, i have been finding the root note of the song and adding a very short sine at the lowest frequency (the app "music math" will let you know how notes relate to hz). mix that sine into your drum signal

I synthesize them using either U-He Bazille or AudioSpillage DrumSpillage 2. I try to get it perfect at the source.

Then, most of the time, EQ -> Gate/Expander (crucial to me!) and sometimes some (parallel) compression. If needed some saturation.

re layering: have you guys tried to split a kick into several elements and to treat them accordingly? i.e. treating the initial attack differently from the body o the sound, or adding a tiny tad of reverb to the mid frequencies and leaving the lows as unprocessed as possible etc... can work wonders too!

I used to go in and basically do what jan jelinek and oval did but with tape sounds. Basically use the sound of pressing the record or stop button on my handheld tape recorder or the sound of an audio jack plugging in and then normalize them and put them in battery to get tape blips that made good bassy sub kicks.

Hey all!

First post!

I'd like a kick that sounds like a granite cube the size of Ireland hitting the north pole...

Suggestions?

FM through overdrive, plus a fuckton of either reverb or stereo white noise going through an LPF with cutoff set so only the rumble gets through.

Use an algo with at least 2 parallel modulator/carrier pairs. One is the impact and one is the rumble. Impact should be shorter and icy, rumble should be longer and utilize a random LFO and/or feedback.

Hey all!

First post!

I'd like a kick that sounds like a granite cube the size of Ireland hitting the north pole...

Suggestions?

FM through overdrive, plus a fuckton of either reverb or stereo white noise going through an LPF with cutoff set so only the rumble gets through.

Use an algo with at least 2 parallel modulator/carrier pairs. One is the impact and one is the rumble. Impact should be shorter and icy, rumble should be longer and utilize a random LFO and/or feedback.

Ah nice and cheers!

FM is always my go to hard hit.

I've been playing with splitting into (X2) pedal floops (noise monkey tools - fx86 + envelopes for low) and severe gates for wallop...

Archived