Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

KICK DRUMS

KICK DRUMS

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 YourLifeInAButchOfSlopes

YourLifeInAButchOfSlopes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • 1 topics
  • Joined 08-November 17

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:54 PM

Hey all!
First post!
I'd like a kick that sounds like a granite cube the size of Ireland hitting the north pole...
Suggestions?

FM through overdrive, plus a fuckton of either reverb or stereo white noise going through an LPF with cutoff set so only the rumble gets through.

Use an algo with at least 2 parallel modulator/carrier pairs. One is the impact and one is the rumble. Impact should be shorter and icy, rumble should be longer and utilize a random LFO and/or feedback.

Ah nice and cheers!

FM is always my go to hard hit.

I've been playing with splitting into (X2) pedal floops (noise monkey tools - fx86 + envelopes for low) and severe gates for wallop...

#27 Lada Laika

Lada Laika

2K, On My Way

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts
  • 42 topics
  • Joined 05-July 15

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:36 AM

fucking lol the mental image

Edited by Lada Laika, 13 November 2017 - 02:36 AM.

#28 darreichungsform

darreichungsform

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts
  • 81 topics
  • Joined 31-July 16
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/darreichungsform
  • Interests:giving advice

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:54 PM

Lately I've developed a thing for kick drums that are almost no kick drums. Very mid-heavy kick drums with not that much bass in it or kick drums that are almost bass notes. I think these kinda kick drumse are really good drumse

#29 thawkins

thawkins

marx4live - liberate the means of modulation

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • 17 topics
  • Joined 20-June 16
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:39 PM

I think I share this affinity. In styles like techno or trance or something like that, the kick needs to be huge sometimes, but recently I like it when the kick sort of hides in the mix - you sort of know it's there not because of it stands out or something, but rather when it stops and goes quiet then you know something's missing.

#30 TheBro

TheBro

Recently Joined

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts
  • 41 topics
  • Joined 09-June 17
  • SoundCloud URL:http://www.soundcloud.com/thebro

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:49 AM

I just use samples and then layer them. Some kick drums are pretty beefy as it stands like the ones from the Yamaha RY30!!!

#31 Entorwellian

Entorwellian

Hypermnesia

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • 29 topics
  • Joined 24-September 07

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:09 PM

Cooledit's tone generator, noise gen, built-in eq and amp filters + pitch processing gave me some really awesome kick drums. Since I knew what frequency the tones were at it made mixing them later a lot easier. I don't know what it is with Cooledit but all of the sample processing I do with it has this 90's aesthetic as coming out kind of hollow, tinny but clean. It works well with kick drums and drops because you can go to insanely low frequencies and still have the bass sound clean on top of everything else being mixed into the track. Sometimes I would mask another sound over them to give them some "boom", like a door closing or dropping books, and other times I could just do it with the tones alone and make some nice dips and clunk sounds. I've tried other sample packs, hardware and soft synths but I still prefer cooledit after all of these years.

#32 darreichungsform

darreichungsform

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts
  • 81 topics
  • Joined 31-July 16

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:12 PM

Sounds nice. Gotta check out Cooledit

#33 zemudene

zemudene

give up

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • 5 topics
  • Joined 20-November 05

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:23 PM

its never kickdrum alone though, sometimes its bass first, sometimes hihat... but if i start with kick first i go by the mood, usually kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkckkkkkkkkkk chccj kkkkkkkkkkkkkckkkkkkkkkk tjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjp kckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkckckkkck 

#34 wobbegongs

wobbegongs

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • 2 topics
  • Joined 04-January 18

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:09 PM

Lately I've developed a thing for kick drums that are almost no kick drums. Very mid-heavy kick drums with not that much bass in it or kick drums that are almost bass notes. I think these kinda kick drumse are really good drumse

yes this!
i keep trying to achieve this sound but usually accidentally make the kick too big. not that there's anything wrong with that. but it's always pleasing when someone pulls off that sound well.. i think it kinda relies on the interplay between kick and its surroundings, like, reverbiness or sidechainediness or whayever that make a clicky little kick fit and seem powerful instead of thin.
eg afx - tha. good kick!

Edited by wobbegongs, 08 January 2019 - 03:13 PM.

#35 darreichungsform

darreichungsform

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts
  • 81 topics
  • Joined 31-July 16

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:24 PM

yeah, the impact the kick has on other sounds is almost more important than the kick itself. I guess you could make a cool track with the kick drum being muted but still sidechain compressing other tracks imprinting its contour into the synths. I always like when it has a varying impact on every track pushing away some tracks while other tracks seem almost unaffected by it

#36 Salvatorin

Salvatorin

Ebullience. Elegance.

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,603 posts
  • 175 topics
  • Joined 15-April 07
  • Interests:i lika pupies

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:35 PM

a.k.a. every actress track

#37 Entorwellian

Entorwellian

Hypermnesia

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • 29 topics
  • Joined 24-September 07

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:05 PM

Soundforge's tones are supposed to be even better for kicks and bass hits. I can't remember if it was Burial or Madlib that used it for that purpose, but making your own kicks from scratch in that program supposedly is the best software to do it. I never used it personally, but there was an older user here named vodor who swore by it.

#38 Braintree

Braintree

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,808 posts
  • 131 topics
  • Joined 21-July 05

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:03 PM

Better get yourself a time machine.

#39 Entorwellian

Entorwellian

Hypermnesia

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • 29 topics
  • Joined 24-September 07

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:40 PM

Cool edit Pro 2.0 didn't work for a while but ever since Windows 10 had the legacy driver update it started working again. Totally dived back into it and realized how much I still love it 20+ years. Haven't even touched Reaper in a few months now. 

Edited by Entorwellian, 10 January 2019 - 01:53 AM.

#40 Braintree

Braintree

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,808 posts
  • 131 topics
  • Joined 21-July 05

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:45 PM

Daaaamn. I loved Cool Edit. The time stretching is so bad it's good.

Long live Peter Quistgard.

#41 Entorwellian

Entorwellian

Hypermnesia

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • 29 topics
  • Joined 24-September 07

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:50 PM

The time stretching is incredible in a deconstructive way. Like putting the time stretcher on poor quality and using a repeating decimal number for the speed, like 0.1111111, made this really cool stutter that I would use for percussion pieces and loops. You could put in negative numbers too and it'd be half and half that you would get an even cooler stutter or the program outright crashes.

I'd say about 50% of my stuff, across the board, has been made in Cool Edit. My songs go through at least once Cooledit process.

Edited by Entorwellian, 09 January 2019 - 03:52 PM.

#42 Braintree

Braintree

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,808 posts
  • 131 topics
  • Joined 21-July 05

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:31 PM

Yeah, I used to take a short loop from a track I was making and time stretch the shit out of it then bring it back in as background texture. Worked a lot better than the flawless time stretching that we have now.

#43 modey

modey

the struggle vose in

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,616 posts
  • 255 topics
  • Joined 08-June 04
  • Interests:⠃⠋⠛⠀⠼⠊⠚⠚⠚

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:45 PM

I was a SoundForge 5 guy, right up to the point where I switched to mac, 7 years ago or something. It had some great editing features for quickly glitching things up..

#44 sheathe

sheathe

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts
  • 57 topics
  • Joined 13-January 11

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:30 PM

I’ve made plenty of kicks over the past 4 years, but these days I’ve gotten so good at manipulating a sample to sound exactly how I want, that the stock ableton sample bank is good enough for me 90% of the time. I still enjoy making wooden sounding kicks on tempest, or creating my own elektron style kick “machines”, or sampling sounds with my phone and making drum kits...

...but in the end, a kick is just a tool like a hammer or a screwdriver, and I’m a lot more interested in a song than a kick.

Plus I’m getting really into actual tools lately since I’ve been doing handyman work, and I don’t have as much time to nerd out on transient design and pitch envelopes.

And I’m learning trumpet during my downtime in the truck.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: KICK, DRUMS