IGNORED

Burial's Untrue is the most important electronic album of the century

zaphod

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This article and the people agreeing with it in the comments are so ridiculously stupid it hurts... I mean, Untrue is a great album it is... but... no.

yeah, yeah, yeah. this is after already declaring Untrue the best record of the 00s previously. (this was someone else) standard Pitchfork.

I still love Untrue, don't get me wrong. but all the latest stuff is just cracklewank.

Well, I've read it now, and I do feel like I should go back and listen to it. They dropped a lot of names that I've heard of but am not super familiar with, so I'm not confident in my ability to objectively confirm or deny their claims at its influence. I probably haven't even put it on the spindle in 7 years.

I didn't like it enough to finish listening to it when it came out.  But I heard it was done entirely in Soundforge, with no grid to line up the beats so it had to be done by eye/ear.  That is neat, if true... but if UNTRUE it's not neat at all.

Maybe I'll finish listening to it at some point.  I also still need to watch the second VHS cassette of Titanic.

I imagine the self-titled is probably close to as important, but certainly Burial has been massively influential on the sounds of the past decade.

It's not a terrible article.

fucking lol

I don't even

Maybe I'll finish listening to it at some point.  I also still need to watch the second VHS cassette of Titanic.

^^ yep, that's one way to put it haha

maybe finish watching your dvds of Friends first?

I heard it was done entirely in Soundforge, with no grid to line up the beats so it had to be done by eye/ear. That is neat, if true...

ambermonk used to make beats this way in Cool Edit 1.53. Working with just stereo and Stomper was his only synth. He always kept a calculator in reach. He even figured out how to make crazy ring mod and degradation effects with the flanger effect. It was inspiring.

I like the article but the title strikes me as clickbait. Even if the author honestly does feel it is the best electronic LP of the century (only 17 years into said century) there's no way they've heard everything that's come out within that broad stylistic arc for the past 17 years.

This article and the people agreeing with it in the comments are so ridiculously stupid it hurts... I mean, Untrue is a great album it is... but... no.

there's a comment section? 

Simon Reynolds is the music journalist equivalent of Adam Curtis.

Superficially, his writing comes across as quite smart but any remote scrutiny reveals the fallacies and leaps of logic and plain untruths (lol).

The whole passage about new labour, just no.

Sad Mark Fisher died, but far too many are aping his style and he’s someone else I feel was guilty of the same problems in what we can call the Wire style of writing.

Feels like it’s as much about getting themselves over, reminding how they invented terms or co-opted them into music journalism to enlighten us mere mortals, the hauntology/hypnagogia etc...

Probably a good basis for an essay here but this is all over the shop. There’s only so much mileage you can get out of one Burial interview.

Simon Reynolds is the music journalist equivalent of Adam Curtis.

Superficially, his writing comes across as quite smart but any remote scrutiny reveals the fallacies and leaps of logic and plain untruths (lol).

The whole passage about new labour, just no.

Sad Matk Fisher died, but far too many are aping his style too and he’s someone else I feel was guilty of the same problems in what we can call the Wire style of writing.

I just finished Fisher's most recent collection of musings and he was obsessed with the word oneiric and with burial

he was occasionally a genius, but i often feel like his experience of music seems manic in its euphoric reaction....

still...great books

I’d be quite happy never to hear about Derrida or Baudrillard in relation to music again.

indeed...most of the time it just feels like reaaaaaaaaaaccccccchhhhhhhing 

the crackle in burial means nothing...but to Fisher it means everything....the caretaker has some window into the soul of time....or hes just putting old ballroom tracks behind a murk of reverb....

Archived