IGNORED

Burial's Untrue is the most important electronic album of the century

zaphod

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to ask this question even if it leads to a server meltdown.

so what is the most important electronic record of the "century" ?

i mean the burial lp truly unique.

the one I'm releasing tomorrow with the fart noises

It's a fairly decent essay about why he finds it an excellent, inspiring album, and how he feels it fits into the musical and social landscape of the 21st century to date.

It's not an argument about why it's the 'most important' electronic album of the century, though. For a start it namedrops the debut almost as much.

In terms of 'most important', I suppose it depends how you define it. In terms of influence, I think Analord (not technically an album, I know) was hugely important in the swing back towards acid within the IDM/braindance communities. I wonder if it's possible to pinpoint the exact album that started the whole new age/Berlin-School-influenced analogue synth thing that took over the underground for a couple of years and is still present in the obsession over analogue and modular synths that people have, after years of laptop-heavy music being dominant. Emeralds, Pulse Emitter or OPN would be contenders.

so what is the most important electronic record of the "century" ?

Probably something from Uwe Schmidt? From a producer's (my) perspective anyway.

Can't think of many better electronic albums this century tbf.

here are an easy 4:

drukqs

geogaddi

confield

go plastic

lol, thought they were all made at the end of the 90's...  :emb:

baaaaarffff

I'm not saying I like it or anything, but IDM is completely irrelevant outside of watmm.

I think Burial is a very big deal for a fair few folks, just because he makes electronic music that doesn't melt brains in an IDM style doesn't mean he's not worthy of high praise. On the few occasions I've youtubed his older tracks the comment section (which is usually filled with nonsensical bile) is filled with a very deep respect for him. I don't really get this album in a big way either but just saying....

I'm not saying I like it or anything, but IDM is completely irrelevant outside of watmm.

I don't think that's true at all (I know of plenty of IDM listeners who aren't here) but even if it is, that just seems to point to the fact that what's "important" is pretty subjective. drukQs may not be as important as Untrue to the average Pitchfork reader, but then Untrue is probably not as important as some Skrillex or deathbymaumau5 album to EDM bros, and I'm guessing there are probably way more of the latter.

Disclaimer: I haven't read the article.

Christ marmighty Burial is so overrated, tracks are the audio equivalent of Derek Zoolander's cache of various different looks.  Take one female r'n'b lament, run it through a few London-alleyway-at-3-am filters, add a few bullet casings hitting the concrete, then top the whole thing off with a weaksauce reduction of chavstep-infused clicketyclack.wav.

Also the level of fanboiism - on par if not greater than RDJ, Boc, OPN - upsets my delicate consitiution

Archived