IGNORED

Live 10

bendish

I don't hold it against them in any way, I think what they're making is a pretty amazing piece of software. 

serious though:  remember when it first came out , it was just a dj program. now look at it  :music:

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive been having a go with the beta

editing def better but still a bit clunky....pt or cubase one key zoom horizontal and vertical to clip would be great

the ui seems to have this weird lag in it...a scrolling catch up delay feel...maybe just beta

great to have time stretch in arrange page but would like pitch too perhaps with +- keys

fades - need to be able to control more than one clip at a time

wave synth nice but with serum etc its just a bonus as are effects

I'm excited for this.  I really can't wait for group midi editing... also the direct mp3 output will smooth things out.  I've been watching all the news about the features and now realize that 9 doesn't have them and already feel a little lost without them. 

This price discussion doesn't make sense to me.  It's packed full of features.  

• 1 month later...

I was on a desert island over the holidays and decided to finally learn Max4Live.

Now I want standalone Max MSP instead.

Has this happened to anyone?

I find the whole M4L API cumbersome. Setting up complex messages to load paths to get live observers or objects and then sending them values etc. However, I'm really not sure there was a better way to do from the developer standpoint.

I'm also not a fan of choosing between a instrument, audio effect, or midi effect every time I launch M4L because I feel like I want to do them all at once and thus usually end up making an audio effect.

Also disappointed I can't send~ and receive~ after falling in love with s and r heh

Looking forward to 10. Integrated m4l will be useful. Lot of interesting/unusual/generally good things you can find or make but it just gets so buggy sometimes. 

The new devices look decent. Distortion was always pants with overdrive and saturator. Drum bus could get good results sharpish if you're going for that sound, probably better on non-drum things though.

Think echo may end up being the one people are most impressed with. The stock delays are really beige except grain delay but then its not a good "classic" delay.

My body is ready, I'm just bummed it's not out in time for the start of weeklybeats.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone been fucking with the beta?

It's pretty tidy.

Multi-clip editing finally and it works real nice like, echo is good, drum bus p good for quick roughing up, editing+nav improvements speed things up (zooming is better but still a bit annoying), capture is handy (been in other DAWs for yonks mind) and new look is pleasant.

£183 still q a lot for the upgrade but probs worth it.

Poised ready for Feb 6th (though I imagine their servers will be hammered and I'll end up grabbing it a day or two after). Spent the time completely getting my default channel & bus chain sorted ready for the A10 migration, rather than playing with the beta as I already have VSTs that do what these new plugins do, but most lost forward to the better m4l integration

I've been loving it besides the fact that one of the last betas wiped my settings and mapped folders. The Wavetable synth is one of my favorites to program, especially with the Push 2. There are lots of understated but great refinements too.

Poised ready for Feb 6th (though I imagine their servers will be hammered and I'll end up grabbing it a day or two after). Spent the time completely getting my default channel & bus chain sorted ready for the A10 migration, rather than playing with the beta as I already have VSTs that do what these new plugins do, but most lost forward to the better m4l integration

You're better off grabbing the beta a day or two before release. It will most likely be the same build.

Multi-clip editing, scroll to zoom and time stretch clips in arrange view are the biggies for me. All stuff that should've been there long ago, hence the apprehension to pay £183 for the upgrade.

Ditto - though am actually happy to pay that for the upgrade. There's been a hell of a lot of changes over the 5 years from 9.00 to 9.7.5, and the amount I've used it over that half decade that the 'less than 200 quid' update for several more years of updates seems OK to me (I actually got it during the 'buy v8 now and get v9 for free when released') :happy:

Fair enough, I suppose it's harsh for me because I only really use it for live sets but thanks to the inclusion of some long needed edit+nav functions and the fact that Elektron Overbridge doesn't work properly in Logic or Renoise it looks like it's going to become DAW of choice for non-commercial work.

Srsly multi midi clip editing is so fricking useful.

Yeah when I first used Ableton it was just for live things and making tracks from clips/stems of stuff I'd done in a different DAW (Jeskola Buzz). But as I got more and more comfortable with Ableton's workflow I ended up using it exclusively for everything music-wise (well except Reaper which I use for the mastering at the end)

Same, except I did all my stems in Renoise.

Did they improve any of the mastering stuff in Live 10?

Fair enough

That's what I love about this place - Agreement that we may not see eye to eye, but accepting the viewpoint nevertheless. If I'd said the same on KVR I would've had a new hole ripped for having the cheek to disagree with anyone's opinion. They really are an angry bunch !

^There're so many passionately ill-informed people online that really aren't worth expending anytime or energy on.

You'd think anonymity and the world's knowledge at your fingertips would make people curious and ready to learn, unafraid of being wrong but instead we have people refusing any information that doesn't fit into their the way they currently see the world, p much acting like tribalistic football hooligans.

Anyways I pre-ordered, your perspective may've helped me do that less reluctantly.

Made a track in Live for the first time last night, it's a shit track but the workflow for creating is real nice.

• 2 weeks later...

The new m4l native MIDI fx...

I'm gonna use envelope follower so much!!! I've wanted it for so long. Is there a key tracker as well?

Pedal honestly sounds like an analog heat. Sounds very good. Big fan of simple fx like that.

The vintage echo does sound good but I'm very satisfied with my own fx racks delay wise. I have a very fun analog delay one that utilizes a return sending to itself with an analog modeled hpf.

Also, mod matrix on wavetable deal looks pretty slick.

All of this really just makes me want to spend another $6k outfitting my studio with a good default template with several synths, drum machines and fx hard wired.

here's what i posted elsewhere. imo it's worth it if you're into the synths and use ableton a lot.  they've made it faster to use and i'm digging.. well.. here:

it seems really well optimized. this new version seems like it could be a 10.x update. i've only dabbled in it since i only downloaded when i got home but loaded a bunch of old projects and messed around and it's fast, smoother etc. i know that's a thing a lot of people say when updated anything but it rings true for me here. also, the simple fact of having packs downloadable and updatable from the browser is really convenient if you have some M4L packs. it is really about workflow as someone said. lot's of conveniences and quick paths to things that used to take more 'doing'. and the new synths, fx are good. to me it's worth it. i would end up buying the upgrade eventually so i figured might as well. so far, i feel it was a good decision.

How long before Richard Devine uses a screengrab like this using Wavetable to make him look like he's still king of IDMz

DVdYA_YXcAEyDHG.jpg

EDIT: Looks like he already went there

Archived