IGNORED

Live 10

bendish

~$300 for a wavetable synth and a bunch of other features.  Most standalone wavetable synths go for about $200-300 (I recently purchased Serum and Erica Black Wavetable VCO both in that range)

I'm not put off by the price of an upgrade. Seems reasonable to me  :shrug:

That being said I'm probably not going to be a day 1er. Nothing really necessary for me.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used to love Live...great effex...timestretch...routing etc

instruments really need a dock/undock feature

after getting used to renoise keyboard control...everything else feels unnatural...live crying out for macro commands

the editing looks better but damn come on with multi fades

wavetable thing obviously cool as are new fx 

190 for upgrade for suite is steep 

What's this dock/undock you speak of?  I'm unfamiliar with the term.... unless audio software is hip to urban slang now, in which case Ableton definitely needs a docking feature for the music I wanna make. 

yep. especially EQ8. it's really hard to do mixing in ableton without this. this is one area where pro tools and logic are still better than ableton. the workflow for mixing is much more efficient.

EQ8 has a "big" view at least, unlike for instance Operator.

yep. especially EQ8. it's really hard to do mixing in ableton without this. this is one area where pro tools and logic are still better than ableton. the workflow for mixing is much more efficient.

True but fiddly as f

docking or undocking....basically just being able to move the instrument or effect window around and resize it

in cubase i can open the channel edit window with one key stroke...and close again with one key...same with opening instruments

imo u need to make things super fast and minimal so the program becomes as invisible as possible

that fact that you can now seemingly drag audio regions down and this creates a new track is good but so obvious...

Nope nope nope nope nope. Man in a hat can jolly well do one...

Watched the live tomcosm show and tell yesterday and loving the improvements to arrangement view, so much easier to manipulate pretty much everything! And finally time line scrolling and zooming with the mouse wheel

Max 8 next year too...

Aye, that's how you do it - no fluff, just facts ! Silly man in silly hat pulling silly faces.

(EDIT: Oh noes, silly hat on intro and outro too - that's learn me to not just skip around a video....what a twist....what's with all the silly hats?!)

Ableton 10 beta testers assemble:

0ipkwTp.gif

Watched the live tomcosm show and tell yesterday and loving the improvements to arrangement view, so much easier to manipulate pretty much everything! And finally time line scrolling and zooming with the mouse wheel

Max 8 next year too...

Max 8 next year too...

Do you know if this means you can now zoom in with the Mac touchpad? If so, I'm sold!

Sounds silly but this one was one of the main things that prevented me making the jump from Logic to Ableton. 

This was the live stream I watched, FFwd to 1h 58 mins for lots of in depth looks (and no hats):

zoom is terrible....only horizontal by the look of it

Nope both ways apparently - @ 2h51m35s of the above stream

Do you know if this means you can now zoom in with the Mac touchpad? If so, I'm sold!

Sounds silly but this one was one of the main things that prevented me making the jump from Logic to Ableton.

Yep, also see that bit at 2:51:35 for details

(you can see my delighted reaction at 2:52:38 in the bottom right !)

This was the live stream I watched, FFwd to 1h 58 mins for lots of in depth looks (and no hats):

zoom is terrible....only horizontal by the look of it

Nope both ways apparently - @ 2h51m35s of the above stream

Yep, also see that bit at 2:51:35 for details

(you can see my delighted reaction at 2:52:38 in the bottom right !)

Thanks for that

This ones good:

That makes me more exicted. Lots of tiny workflow improvements which are not getting enough attention.

yeah this is fine but currently there is no way to compare two EQs on different tracks side-by-side

Agreed. I want to be able to do this.

Excited by the idea of Wavetable. I've recently got into using Animoog which is kind of wavetable I think and thoroughly enjoy it.

Looks like it's finally adding basic editing features and shortcuts which have been lacking.

Glad about capture too, use the equivalent feature in Logic loads and lots.

Might start using it to do more than live sets after this update (which is nice because it's the only DAW that I've got Elektron Overbridge working as advertised in). 

"Control Surfaces are now available when Live runs as a ReWire slave. This applies to both Push 1 and 2 as well."

I assume this means I can do some unholy thing like starting a track in Logic then using Push as a big drum machine / sampler without ever looking at the Live window on my screen. Pretty cool.

One thing I'm disappointed about is that they seem reluctant to integrate any music theory tools into the piano roll. I want to see the name of the chord I highlight. Or set scale lock and mindlessly paint some notes.

yeah one thing i've suggested before in that area is having a sort of 'pallet' of chords available in the piano roll so you can paint a bunch of notes with a single click

I would love it if they added something like this. Now I'm curious how close you can get with Max for Live. But something native would be even better.

yeah one thing i've suggested before in that area is having a sort of 'pallet' of chords available in the piano roll so you can paint a bunch of notes with a single click

I would love it if they added something like this. Now I'm curious how close you can get with Max for Live. But something native would be even better.

MIDI effects have Chords and Scales to help with this, of course...and I'm pretty sure there's some Max For Live devices that do this, though it's not the sort of thing I'm into so I don't have any. Integrated would of course be ideal, but for now...

But yeah, MGF, I was expecting them to implement some instant chords feature like Maschine (and I think MPC Live, and probably other DAWs?) has. As relatively simple as I'd imagine it is, I dunno why it wouldn't be included since it's definitely something geared for "Live" usage.

Was curious so I took a cursory glance. Most look to be paid devices. http://maxforlive.com/library/device/4320/random-chords-generator-pro http://maxforlive.com/library/device/4269/chords-in-key http://maxforlive.com/library/device/4029/chord-o-mat http://maxforlive.com/library/device/3546/chord-explorer Also, Ableton's own site has Max For Live packs: M4L Essentials pack features the Multi device that has built in chords...and the M4L Building Tools pack contains a few MIDI note manipulation devices that may be useful, most obviously MIDI Chord.

I'm sure there's plenty others out there too, and you all may already use these things, but just in case :)

MIDI effects have Chords and Scales to help with this, of course...and I'm pretty sure there's some Max For Live devices that do this, though it's not the sort of thing I'm into so I don't have any. Integrated would of course be ideal, but for now...

But yeah, MGF, I was expecting them to implement some instant chords feature like Maschine (and I think MPC Live, and probably other DAWs?) has. As relatively simple as I'd imagine it is, I dunno why it wouldn't be included since it's definitely something geared for "Live" usage.

Was curious so I took a cursory glance. Most look to be paid devices. http://maxforlive.com/library/device/4320/random-chords-generator-pro http://maxforlive.com/library/device/4269/chords-in-key http://maxforlive.com/library/device/4029/chord-o-mat http://maxforlive.com/library/device/3546/chord-explorer Also, Ableton's own site has Max For Live packs: M4L Essentials pack features the Multi device that has built in chords...and the M4L Building Tools pack contains a few MIDI note manipulation devices that may be useful, most obviously MIDI Chord.

I'm sure there's plenty others out there too, and you all may already use these things, but just in case :)

i dunno if this is what you mean but if you have a Push you can set the key you want and make proper chords easily.

maybe that's the attitude from ableton then..."yeah you can do this.. but only with max4live and push, baby" 

It kind of makes sense for me as both a marketing strategy and a technical approach.

Technical, because it makes more sense not to make the base Live product too complex with different features. 

Marketing, because you can make the people who want niche features get M4L for extra €€€.

I don't hold it against them in any way, I think what they're making is a pretty amazing piece of software. If only, I wish they'd open up their Python API so that writing your own scripts wouldn't be so much of a hassle.

Archived