IGNORED

will richard put out a good record ever again?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Dude, fuck you guys. Richard gets better as he goes along. Syro was great. You all have just too many expectations, and you wanted him to stroke your "drukqs" cock, but that's not where he is anymore. Geezus fucking Krist, why is this a discussion? There are no real deep insights here, only vague gestures toward feelings and what you wanted out of the album and disappointment with the hype (which was just FUN, what the fuck is wrong with that, now?!) and it's SO TIRESOME. How about this? How about you do something? How about you just put things in their proper place? It's music. It's actually good music. It's actually really good music. I check up here every once and a while because I'm hoping to hear about some news, and this forum usually delivers, but so help me is this place becomes another xltronic. Get a grip, mutherfuckers. It's not like Aphex did a fucking cheesy, lame 180 and wrote songs about "slo-mo on the dildo.." or whatever FSOL did around 2002. His music always holds up. "Oh, I didn't like the cheesy lead on 180db_, or the mixing on minipops" Fuck off. Get a life. Goddammit. You guys are better than this.

Is he not making good records? I've liked everything he's put out since he came back in 2014. I think that Field Day record is great.

Random 1st world afx complaint: I miss his liberal use of distortion/overdrive/fuzz and extreme saturation in past releases. The production and mixing of his current day work is top notch and brilliant... But sometimes it's too.. squeaky clean/clinical? I don't know, I know I'm just being a nostalgic premadonna.. anyone else agree though?

Random 1st world afx complaint: I miss his liberal use of distortion/overdrive/fuzz and extreme saturation in past releases. The production and mixing of his current day work is top notch and brilliant... But sometimes it's too.. squeaky clean/clinical? I don't know, I know I'm just being a nostalgic premadonna.. anyone else agree though?

Totally get that.... which is why i always prefer his DJ set versions of tracks.... rough and lively 

I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. Tunes like Aphex's are still a diamond dozen, and his approach to mixing might be a blessing in the skies

Dude, fuck guys. Richard gets better as he goes. you wanted him to stroke your cock, but that's not where he is anymore. Geezus fucking, why is this a discussion? There...deep...here, gestures toward what you wanted. Disappointment. FUN, what the fuck is now?! SO TIRESOME. How about this? How about you do something? How about you just put things in their proper place? It's actually good. It's actually really good. every once and a while I'm hoping to get a grip, mutherfuckers. fucking "slo-mo on the dildo.." or whatever always holds up. Fuck.

Are we talking about his 'rake-on-bin'-core level distortion as in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qOLQLuOPdA

See yeah I had that sorta afx in mind too that I missed but in general not even that extreme of an example... But fuck yeah I love his hard drill n bass stuff. It's more of a character thing or on select elements or even as a submerge-the-whole-track in a lo fi grit kind of thing. (You can what I mean on icbyd, sosw etc.. of course the full on come to daddy nastiness would be fun to hear again too lol) Of course his more methodical calculated approach in his current work may not lend to that production style as much in regards to sound design and song structure. But again I'm nitpicking. I do enjoy some of that tapey saturation he does on cheetah and that glue on orphans for sure. And compression styles on syro are just heavenly.

• 5 weeks later...

Personally, I feel inspired by his output since 2014, if not purely from the music then through method. It's pretty goddamn impressive to get all of those instruments working together and programming them from a single sequencer with no cuts.

Syro, the Cheetah EP, and the Field Day LP gave me a sense that I don't need to take my shit so seriously and the most intricate music isn't exactly the best. I've changed up my process over the last couple years and have better output than ever.

Archived