IGNORED

Are Music Streaming Services Ethical?

koolkeyZ865

you’re happy spotify gives artists jack shit, the industry gives artists jack shit and now consumers are so entitled they also give artists nothing?

I hate streaming services. they don’t have everything I’m looking for, they’re only as available as my cell network, which in my state means in a very small corridor along major highways, the quality is objectively bad, and they inspire this curatorial post-artistic statement treatment of music as wallpaper. it’s the final nail in the coffin for the album as an art form, which means we have playlists. I don’t engage with playlists. I don’t want to listen to your fall music mix. i am not going to discover new music by listening to completely contextless songs in this adhd frenzy to consume as much art and entertainment as possible while I idly pass whatever free time I have. that isn’t the function of art and I refuse to contribute to furthering this cultures descent into the sewer of technological innovation and convenience over everything.

Manifesto

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am realizing most of the good curated playlists I only encountered via friends or folks I follow online. You really have to know what to look for or find it from somewhere externally. Otherwise you have to do a lot of digging in the playlists that are listed when you browse an artist profile.

https://pitchfork.com/news/spotify-removes-r-kelly-from-its-playlists/

This should result in some well-reasoned and wonderful discussion here.

Basically Spotify is going to remove questionable artists from their playlists/promotions though they'll leave their music on the platform. So not censoring really. Seems reasonable, but the point brought up by the one guy's team or whoever about all the other musicians whose actions could be deemed to be comparable to R Kelly/etc. could be interesting. 

Didn't know one of the Ace of Base guys was a Neo-Nazi.

https://pitchfork.com/news/spotify-removes-r-kelly-from-its-playlists/

This should result in some well-reasoned and wonderful discussion here.

Basically Spotify is going to remove questionable artists from their playlists/promotions though they'll leave their music on the platform. So not censoring really. Seems reasonable, but the point brought up by the one guy's team or whoever about all the other musicians whose actions could be deemed to be comparable to R Kelly/etc. could be interesting. 

Didn't know one of the Ace of Base guys was a Neo-Nazi.

yeah fuck that.. idgaf if whatever im listening to was made by a mass murderer if its good then thats that, sticking to slsk.

fuck spotify

We've already established that the official Spotify playlists are rubbish, so who gives a shit

We've already established that the official Spotify playlists are rubbish, so who gives a shit

Agreed. I have what seems like almost the universe of music at my fingertips for a tenner a month (like I said before I'd happy pay double that) I don't understand how this can be a bad thing.... I couldn't give a rats arse about Spotify curated playlists either, never gone near them, I'm on my own mission mate.

Archived