IGNORED

S>>D - VTOL

fumi

S>>D aka Sean Dorris from Belfast delivers his debut album ‘Co Intel Pro’ on CPU. Refined sampling alongside hip hop influenced breaks sees S>>D operating in a similar dimension to VHS Head. Reminiscent of 1980s sci-fi soundtracks interwoven with IDM-tinged electro, haunting atmospheres prevail throughout with hints of a genre that has yet to emerge. Presented over 2x12” vinyl at 45rpm for superior sound quality.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah there's some hella IDM style feels all up in this. Sorta touches all areas of 'classic' IDM (god did I just use that phrase) in one place or another it seems. Liking what I hear though, nothing is coming across in the previews as particularly derivative or just nostalgia.

• 2 weeks later...

most of the tracks are drowning in IDM juice.

über lush

See? IDM juice=uber lush :D

Track does sound nice and smooth for sure. I'm worried the album may not have much depth, though. We'll see.

most of the tracks are drowning in IDM juice.

über lush

See? IDM juice=uber lush :D

Track does sound nice and smooth for sure. I'm worried the album may not have much juice, though. We'll see.

i think there is going to be enough juice for everyone on this record !

• 1 month later...

This is great listening. After two or three spins, the only negatives I can think of are the very uninspired drum programs that seem the same on lots of songs.

Secondly, I wonder what Ennio Morricone & JC would make of 'Cell Intruder'?

Otherwise a really excellent album.

Also a heads-up for those who've not ordered the vinyl yet. It's currently £7.99 on Amazon!

That's surely a mistake but they would have to honour it, I guess. Certainly much cheaper than anywhere else.

Also a heads-up for those who've not ordered the vinyl yet. It's currently £7.99 on Amazon!

That's surely a mistake but they would have to honour it, I guess. Certainly much cheaper than anywhere else.

Good spot! Ordered, let’s see if they honour it. At that price it will be Amazon’s loss, I would hope CPU will still get their usual cut

My copy just arrived today and Amazon refunded me the difference (it was £15ish when I preordered) so they are honouring that £7.99 price.  Can't wait to give it a spin tonight  :music:

This is decent. Not really doing anything new but it's nice to get some early 2000s IDM vibes again. This reminds me a LOT of Made's "Type Tactical" from 2005 (very underrated if you haven't heard) as well as obvious comparisons to Tomorrow's Harvest BOC and John Carpenter scores. And yes, Cell Intruder is just a straight up cover of the theme from The Thing. Cool but feels a little "been there, done that".

This is decent. Not really doing anything new but it's nice to get some early 2000s IDM vibes again. This reminds me a LOT of Made's "Type Tactical" from 2005 (very underrated if you haven't heard) as well as obvious comparisons to Tomorrow's Harvest BOC and John Carpenter scores. And yes, Cell Intruder is just a straight up cover of the theme from The Thing. Cool but feels a little "been there, done that".

It's true that it doesn't do anything new but as you say it's still enjoyable. Most of the tracks are very good but that track where the artist just wholesale lifts two themes from The Thing is very uninspiring. Given the quality  of the rest, I'm surprised he didn't take those samples and find something cool and interesting to do with them.

It's true that it doesn't do anything new but as you say it's still enjoyable. Most of the tracks are very good but that track where the artist just wholesale lifts two themes from The Thing is very uninspiring. Given the quality  of the rest, I'm surprised he didn't take those samples and find something cool and interesting to do with them.

Nice recommendation, reminds me a bit of what Gatekeeper was doing years later, and the "distroid" sound Adam Harper coined but that never really formulated.

I think besides VHS Head, darker BoC ("Silver Shamrock Intermission" = "White Cychlosa"), and classic IDM/Skam release vibes the other big influence is Dopplereffekt style electro. I agree there's a lot more potential here than delivered with on some tracks but I think it can be partly attributed to the electro bent of the percussion / drums, something that can come off as same-y/uninspired as fumi mentioned earlier.

Reminiscent of 1980s sci-fi soundtracks interwoven with IDM-tinged electro, haunting atmospheres prevail throughout with hints of a genre that has yet to emerge.

This is why I found this album so engaging and interesting, it's hitting on a aesthetic/style so many have flirted with but not really dove into, maybe only explored on a few tracks (I feel like Legowelt and Torn Hawk fit in this category). Or it's this genre/style that certain artists are all exploring without being lumped together because they are the oddballs of the genres, scenes and/or labels they come from. Six's videos are great examples and fumi's album posts are always on my radar. I think users on WATMM (i.e. everyone who has commented on this thread) often steer me to music better than just about any other source.

it comes down to a lot of unacknowledged crossover. Unfortunately I feel like it's a lost cause because genres seem to, sadly, get so pigeonholed - synthwave all ends up sounding like Miami Vice, vaporwave has gone in very different directions, hypnagogic pop of the 00s is still pretty overlooked because it was released on tape pre-bandcamp. That and labels get known for one sound and therefore not associated with very similar labels and scenes they aren't directly related to fanbase and distro wise. I've tried making my own playlists to kind of keep track of this hauntology-oriented retro sound, which I think this album is also hitting on.

Archived