IGNORED

Not-So-Hi-Fi versus Hi-Fi speakers

cheeseburgerwalrus

Ok so I've got mad Hi-Fi speakers. But I dunno I haven't used them and instead I've been using my shitty laptop to listen to music for like 6 months now. I like the sound a lot better lol. I dunno it feels much more personal or somtink because on the laptop I have the speakers on the bottom front side of the laptop. So if I'm computing on the bed (as I often am) with the laptop on my lap then the speakers are angled to my "Lower Half Of My Body" gnome sane. But ye I dunno why. I have tried and tried to use the Hi-Fi speaekrs but I get all filled with panick if I use them lol. Too much bass and all that.

Are youse a Not-So-Hi-Fi or strict Hi-Fi speakr guy? Lets discuss please

I generally prefer listening to music through hi-fi speakers, though I do it a lot less than on earphones/laptop speakers for purely practical reasons. But some timbres (the kind that occur a lot in darkpsy) actually sound really nice through shitty laptop speakers. Stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F41n2_r36_U

I guess because the music is intentionally unnatural-sounding and the tinniness and distortion play well with that.

Personally I prefer headphones. To get an equivalent audio quality on a set of speakers vis a set of cans you need to spend ten times the amount; the main thing you're missing out on is the physical bass punch. 

Personally I prefer headphones. To get an equivalent audio quality on a set of speakers vis a set of cans you need to spend ten times the amount; the main thing you're missing out on is the physical bass punch.

I don't think that's true - something that one gets from speakers but not from headphones is the small changes in sound that come with moving your head, which I think is a big part of how our brains do stereo imaging. I find that music sounds much more physical when listening through speakers, like it's there in the room rather than just in my ears, and I think that's why. But admittedly I've never tried any audiophile-quality headphones.

Old hi-fi.

On my second set of these, been sing them for over a decade and my total utlay so far for both pairs is $10 plus another $15 or so to put new surrounds on the second set.

Not "hi fi" in the modern audiophile sense, but really great sounding and I've successfully done a lot of mixing on them before I had the money for nice monitors.

438163-ar2ax_vintage_speakers.jpg

I could never listen to music on pc speakers, bloody hell. I've got some hifi speakers some midfi speakers and some cheap junk speakers. I like listening on them all. As long as stuff isn't distorting, tinny or nasal as fuck I'm happy.

I don't think that's true - something that one gets from speakers but not from headphones is the small changes in sound that come with moving your head, which I think is a big part of how our brains do stereo imaging. I find that music sounds much more physical when listening through speakers, like it's there in the room rather than just in my ears, and I think that's why. But admittedly I've never tried any audiophile-quality headphones.

That's a pretty fair point; I think some headphones with a decent sound stage and instrument separation may ameliorate that closed-in feeling, although it'll still lack the physicality that speakers provide.

Old hi-fi.

On my second set of these, been sing them for over a decade and my total utlay so far for both pairs is $10 plus another $15 or so to put new surrounds on the second set.

Not "hi fi" in the modern audiophile sense, but really great sounding and I've successfully done a lot of mixing on them before I had the money for nice monitors.

A lot of old stuff before black plastic crap of the late 80s onward just sounds inherently better, unless it's like cheap department store stuff. In other words old "mid-fi" from the 60s, 70s, and 80s sounds great if you can find it at garage sales or thrift stores. I used a pair of early 80s Realistic (Radioshack) 2-way speakers and they do the job just fine. 

That's a pretty fair point; I think some headphones with a decent sound stage and instrument separation may ameliorate that closed-in feeling, although it'll still lack the physicality that speakers provide.

Waves have done this quite funky plugin called NX ( https://www.waves.com/plugins/nx#introducing-nx-virtual-mix-room ) it uses the webcam on you've got on your machine to do head tracking. Depending on your head position relative to the 'virtual speakers' it'll generate pseudo-3d ambisonics emulating real speakers.

I was highly skeptical but it's actually darn convincing, I've only used it a few times as more of a novelty, but yeah it's quite a good bit of tech

Archived