IGNORED

Don't upgrade to High Sierra (OSX)

cooliofranco

i fink the password was set by the company my cousin got it from so that if he needed support he would have to get it directly from them. Pretty fucking unethical and borderline illegal imo. I don't know this for sure tho

EDIT: Also thanks for the RAM trick, I'll see if it works later today

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dang what the fuck is going on over at infinite loop. heads should roll

think they’re moving from the loop to the new place which is a ring so maybe it messes with their heads,

• 2 weeks later...

Update: The only option that I have to fix my Mac is to wipe and format the drive to the Apple File System and reinstall macOS. The only problem is that I don't have access to another Mac to format the drive with because as far as I know, only disk utility can format drives to apple's file system. I really don't feel like paying out the ass for IT when I can fix the issue myself. Thanks, Apple.

Thinking about either building a hackintosh or switching my desktop operating system to a flavor of Linux. I really don't want to give this slimy anti-consumer tax evading company any more money.

I’ve got a hackintosh big fkn Desktop Tower and it sucks. It’s a friend’s, he shopped parts which are actually compatible, the setup was a nightmare, it still has random kernel panics / reboots, no iCloud, no iMessage, no sleep mode. If I had paid the 1000$ for the parts I would be very sad.

tldr: hackintosh sucks

balls

i wish i had seen this thread earlier. basically i upgraded (or tried to upgrade) to high sierra and my mac hdd got corrupted. according to a tech, high sierra isn't designed for older macbooks but for newer ones that don't have moving parts- so even if the upgrade worked, it would have been a real drain on the system

now i'm having to replace the HDD, add a new battery and more ram. basically, a new computer with the old school macbook shell (back when they still had dvd+rw/cd drives)

Isn't this Apple's M.O., force updates on everyone that are optimized for only the newest hardware so everyone running older machines is like, "Oh shit, my laptop / phone / tablet is running so slowly, time to buy another one, I guess."

The updates aren't forced, and they're obviously going to optimize the software for the newest hardware. The planned obsolescence conspiracy is pretty stupid. Unlike a lot of Android manufacturers that only give software updates for a year or two Apple supports devices for 5+ years. The only issue you really run into when running old software, besides security issues, is not being able to use the latest versions of apps that utilize newer APIs, but you can still install the latest version available to your firmware. 

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/20/16800058/apple-iphone-slow-fix-battery-life-capacity

i think they're talking about iOS- i'm talking about OS X. besides, now i got a new battery and HDD. i'm on sierra and don't plan on upgrading to high sierra unless i get some kind of seal of approval from tim cook himself saying things won't go to pot if i upgrade.

yeah i know, i was just posting that to show that the "planned obsolescence" theory at least has some whiff of truth.  it's possible that  what they say about doing it for OS stability makes sense, but i'll be damned if someone in the company didn't run a calculation to figure out how many people would just buy new phones if they slowed down the old ones, for whatever reason.

although i wonder if apple does the same thing on non-mobile operating systems.

oh yeah i'm well aware of that. actually the guys that fixed it explained that one of the reasons my old harddrive got corrupted is because sierra (and especially high sierra) aren't supposed to work with old harddrives which have moving parts. so it also uses more resources which, if it doesn't corrupt the hdd, it will use so many of the resources it will just run powerfully slower. 

it's interesting to me though: one of the first commercial light bulbs made in 1901 by the shelby electric company has been burning since without a flicker. today, 116 years later, we can hardly get a bulb that lasts 5 years without blowing up. 

it's interesting to me though: one of the first commercial light bulbs made in 1901 by the shelby electric company has been burning since without a flicker. today, 116 years later, we can hardly get a bulb that lasts 5 years without blowing up.

They blow up for a reason.

$$$

£££

€€€

Archived