IGNORED

Your pointless thoughts & observations

Plum

34 minutes ago, zkom said:

L'Hôpital's rule applies to functions that have the form f(x)/g(x), not f(x)^g(x).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Hôpital's_rule#Other_indeterminate_forms

i used l'hopital a lot, btw. there are some examples when you have the form 0^0, and the idea is to use the formula u^v=exp(v*ln(u)), then shift the limit to the exponent, and then use l'hopital on the exponent. of course it depends on what functions are in question, but it just shows that the answer to the question of how much 0^0 is, is a relative one, in a way.

Edited by Freak of the week

13 minutes ago, Freak of the week said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Hôpital's_rule#Other_indeterminate_forms

i used l'hopital a lot, btw. there are some examples when you have the form 0^0, and the idea is to use the formula u^v=exp(v*ln(u)), then shift the limit to the exponent, and then use l'hopital on the exponent. of course it depends on what functions are in question, but it just shows that the answer to the question of how much 0^0 is, is a relative one, in a way.

Ok, I haven't seen that use myself yet. Interesting.

But it still means just that the limit for function f(x) = x^x as x->0 is 1, not the actual value at x=0.

I have to admit I have used 0^0 = 1 in practical calculations myself as it was the limit value for the function in use, but I was internally screaming.

are things ever going to get better? not just covid but in general. is there ever going to be a time where everybody wakes up with all their needs/wants/desires fulfilled and thinks hey, life is just so great! or is this going to keep dragging on, day after day, the same old doom and gloom monotony repeating itself until the end. isn't that what death is advertised as? a great escape from the endless suffering we endure on this planet. act according to all the rules and you'll get your reward in the afterlife. heaven is where you are trying to get to. or the realm of souls, or whatever it's called. is that the point of all this? rushing through life unhappily in order to get to a made up fantasy place? I expect someone on watmm to be able to answer this.

I'm not sure I would know immediately that Frank Black was singing if a new song of his came up randomly in a playlist.  His voice changes so much from album to album.  I'd be more likely to recognize it from the songwriting style, maybe.  Usually the singer's voice is the dead giveaway, but for some reason his doesn't totally register with me.  I frequently hear him channeling another singer along with his own voice, be it Bowie or J Mascis, or David Byrne.  Perhaps this is why?  It's quite unusual.  I don't think it's a matter of it sounding generic at all.  The fact his voice is so hard for me to pinpoint is in itself unique.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

In the 1980 sci-fi Saturn 3 the robot has a belly button. Not a button on it’s belly. A fucking belly button.

edit: and buttocks 

Edited by Plum
  • Like 2
  • Burger 1

10 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

zephyr nova is a pretty good singer. 

My pitch and rhythm are precise.  Vibrato has always been a bit mysterious to me, though I can sort of fake it.  Can sort of do "vocal fry", but it's hard to get it sounding pleasing to me ear.  Diaphragm control is inconsistent.  I struggle mostly with tone stuff because my voice is naturally a bit... younger sounding and nasal (but I've learned to avoid that, mostly).  I can sing weird angular melodies with ease though, which seems to be something a lot of people struggle with.  Getting closer to being able to do those fast R&B runs in a really half baked way.  Super envious of vocalists who can do the screamy stuff without damaging their vocal cords.  That completely eludes me.  So yeah, I'd say I'm decent.  Not nearly at the level I want to be, but decent.  

Edited by Zephyr_Nova
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

My pitch and rhythm are precise.  

i confirm

8 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I can sing weird angular melodies with ease though, which seems to be something a lot of people struggle with.  

yeah that's your forte, i confirm. a true jazzist in spirit. 

20 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

So yeah, I'd say I'm decent.  Not nearly at the level I want to be, but decent.  

it's probably safe to assume you're the best singer on watmm. until proven otherwise. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/12/2022 at 1:23 PM, brian trageskin said:

zephyr nova is a pretty good singer. 

why this question though? just something that randomly popped into your head or what? how about you btw? how's your vibrato? 

I cant sing for shit. I always try to think the pitch really hard but it never sounds the same lol. I also have this weird tremolo i cant control.

I wonderd if being able to sing says something about how good your pitch perception is.

for some reason i also struggle more on pitch perception on vocals instead of instruments,

Edited by Wunderbar
  • Like 1

According to the Seinfeld Wikipedia:

Jerry has a detached approach towards relationships and breaks up with women for the most minor of reasons. According to the ninth-season DVD release of the series, Jerry has had 73 different girlfriends seen or alluded to over the course of the series.

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

On 1/21/2022 at 6:09 AM, yekker said:

According to the Seinfeld Wikipedia:

Jerry has a detached approach towards relationships and breaks up with women for the most minor of reasons. According to the ninth-season DVD release of the series, Jerry has had 73 different girlfriends seen or alluded to over the course of the series.

He really was ahead of the curve when it comes to dating.

1 hour ago, toaoaoad said:

haha, yeah there's a few in my neighborhood with them still up. even one with a life sized creepy Santa standing by the front door, with some weird Jesus in a manger scene happening out in the front yard.

after 40+ years on this planet, I still don't get people, man...

They look like they're CGI's imho.

It's past midnight and I'm eating some macarons for dinner because I just got home from work and all the shops were already closed and I can't really afford to get anything delivered and I can't be arsed making any effort beyond opening the fridge and a box. Was gonna post this in the FWS thread but since it's a bit of FWP and FWS decided to take this beauty of a post to the YPT&O. Hope everybody's well.