IGNORED

Your pointless thoughts & observations

Plum

Watmm posts should have a "like" button.  Sometimes I don't wanna lol, but I still wanna show my appreciation.

Didn't we have that for a while? I thought we briefly had an upvote/downvote function?

been bringing my dog to work all week which means i have a bunch of dog treats and the chicken/venison jerky dog treats are starting to look pretty good. 

Sometimes when my mind empties I hear voices and bits of music. Voices I don't usually recognize speaking indistinct non-words, and music that doesn't exist and is not enjoyable. I wonder how common this is.

I always get a rush of lush music when I'm tired as shit, just as I'm starting to fall asleep sitting in my couch or wherever, has come to the point where I go "oh here comes the music again, time to go to bed". It's pretty good, I wish there was some way to record it.

I always get a rush of lush music when I'm tired as shit, just as I'm starting to fall asleep sitting in my couch or wherever, has come to the point where I go "oh here comes the music again, time to go to bed". It's pretty good, I wish there was some way to record it.

Not sure how many musicians have done this (RDJ has IIRC) but many artists and scientists have attested to using this phenomenon as part of their creative, inventive, and problem solving process.

I think I had a kind of retarded version of that phenomenon hit me this morning.  At the tag end of my dream I was in 7-11 with my ex-girlfriend and her parents.  They were buying her "alligator shoes" which had literal alligator heads that were still alive and biting as the toe of the shoes.  So naturally I gave the crocs my other friend's mouthguards as a safety measure so my ex-gf's feet would remain in tact after trying them on... which I also thought was a hilarious gesture.  Her dad wanted to know the price, so I quipped "probably somewhere between 7 and 11 dollars hur hur hur."  Then I was like "what's the deal with 7-11's being open long past midnight and way before 7am?"  I woke up with the smug assuredness that I should do standup comedy.

:facepalm:

Not sure how many musicians have done this (RDJ has IIRC) but many artists and scientists have attested to using this phenomenon as part of their creative, inventive, and problem solving process.

I've considered that it's Hypnagogia before, but I'm not sure what happens to me counts as that. It's definitely not directly tied to sleep or sleepiness, though it can happen at those times as well, it's much more common when I'm wide awake. The excerpted parts quoted here sums it up relatively well, though for me, obviously.

Snatches of imagined speech are common. ...typically nonsensical and fragmented... the voices of others: familiar people or strangers. More rarely... music is heard.

Given that it's something that feels like it's ALWAYS going on (as in, I can hear them at any point I want if I can quiet down everything else), has always sort of worried me, and ultimately that's what makes me wonder if it's something different entirely or just a more rare form of the same basic thing as hypnagogia (which btw is a great slumbr release! I forget who that is on WATMM but I've always loved this album and I had to mention it since we're talking about it).

Wish I had lush music happen, mine's always weird and terrible and almost exclusively what I would normally deem as annoying trash. Oddly, there's more and more music that's getting closer to the sounds in my head these days, so I guess I'm psychic? That's definitely it. My mind has been hearing the shitty Soundcloud music of 2020 for the past 30 years of my life :)

Actually, there's been some scientific progress in the last few years in translating thoughts and memories into images by reading the right parts of the brain, maybe they're working on sound as well? It's very much fringe right now, and I'm not sure the science is fully legit, but from the little I've heard it seems to be at least partly real. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/08/japanese-scientists-use-artificial-intelligence-to-decode-thoughts.html

id say around once a week I end up contemplating my consciousness... a la "I feel like I am something trapped behind my eyes, I can't never know for sure that anything or anyone other than this feel exists"

for about 15 mins then I keep on livin'

life is p cool innit

After almost a month of working as a delivery person, I'm surprised to notice that Monday seems to be the most popular night for people ordering in, and Friday is the least popular.  Thought it would be the reverse.  Kind of makes sense though, as Friday's more of a "let's go out to eat" kind of night.  Not sure why Monday's so crazy busy though.  9-5 workers trying to cure their start of the week depression?

Also, this is the only job I've ever legitimately enjoyed, aside from studio work (and sometimes I don't enjoy that).  My boss is an app!

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

I've considered that it's Hypnagogia before, but I'm not sure what happens to me counts as that. It's definitely not directly tied to sleep or sleepiness, though it can happen at those times as well, it's much more common when I'm wide awake. The excerpted parts quoted here sums it up relatively well, though for me, obviously.

Snatches of imagined speech are common. ...typically nonsensical and fragmented... the voices of others: familiar people or strangers. More rarely... music is heard.

Given that it's something that feels like it's ALWAYS going on (as in, I can hear them at any point I want if I can quiet down everything else), has always sort of worried me, and ultimately that's what makes me wonder if it's something different entirely or just a more rare form of the same basic thing as hypnagogia (which btw is a great slumbr release! I forget who that is on WATMM but I've always loved this album and I had to mention it since we're talking about it).

Wish I had lush music happen, mine's always weird and terrible and almost exclusively what I would normally deem as annoying trash. Oddly, there's more and more music that's getting closer to the sounds in my head these days, so I guess I'm psychic? That's definitely it. My mind has been hearing the shitty Soundcloud music of 2020 for the past 30 years of my life :)

Actually, there's been some scientific progress in the last few years in translating thoughts and memories into images by reading the right parts of the brain, maybe they're working on sound as well? It's very much fringe right now, and I'm not sure the science is fully legit, but from the little I've heard it seems to be at least partly real. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/08/japanese-scientists-use-artificial-intelligence-to-decode-thoughts.html

Top post.

^^ I would say it is the imagination of sounds going on, not merely allucinative hypnagogic state. When your brain is more relaxed, and near to sleep or at swallow sleeping phases it can do that better, and a part of your default area of activity in the brain is responsible because somehow it likes or enjoys to do it. Heavy Intelectually driven people are more prone to this mental behaviour I think

Great stand up routine Zephyr, I'll certainly never see crocs again without giving your sister's snapping alligator shoes in 7-eleven a quick though.

Edited by Gocab

Come To Daddy-009-Aphex Twin-28 organ 11 [ru,ec,+9]

fucking song slays me. it's so good in every way and that melody is happy bliss but all of it is amazing. 

Just noticed on heli shots of the Dakar that "NOISIA" is "VISION" upside down.

I feel about as smart as when I first noticed the C in the Carrefour logo after ten years or so of shopping there.

Just realised VHS Head is a pun.

I love how at the beginning of every Bob Ross episode he says something like "So today I thought we would just do a fun little painting...". Like, I thought we were going to be doing spreadsheets or algebra or something, but a painting? Sweet. And a fun little one? Even better. I don't mean this cynically at all.