IGNORED

Your pointless thoughts & observations

Plum

On 10/30/2019 at 6:18 AM, ambergonk said:

Is life worth continuing?

This is a question I ponder not out of melancholy, but as a legit existential one. The trends throughout this planet...climate change, potential rising sea levels and temperatures along with lower pH levels...the resurgence of fascism...widening income inequality between social classes...an increasing proclivity towards irrational behavior among people in general...

Or am I just overthinking it?

If you're thinking about offing yourself because of the (perceived) state of the planet/society maybe you should get out more, spend time with fleshy beings instead of on the internet. Tends to put things into perspective for me at least. Also maybe consider that even though in some ways things might look grim we have no fucking idea how things will pan out, to me this is as good a reason as any to try to make the best of things and the most of yourself and your situation. Try and focus on what's important/meaningful to you in the present, if you can't find importance or meaning try to make things better for people around you and maybe in the meantime you'll find something valuable for yourself.                   

• Like 2

Yeah, think of the things that make your heart and soul go erect. Go do them by any means necessary.  If you cant think of anything, that means there's a world of discovery left

Besides, dont you wanna see just how hard this train wrecks? Lol

On 10/29/2019 at 10:18 PM, ambergonk said:

Is life worth continuing?

Or am I just overthinking it?

My only brother killed himself at age 36. My emotions run the gamut from hating him for it, to wanting to emulate him. It’s insanely complicated. But there are two huge reasons I would never. As another poster mentioned, anything is possible and I really want to see as much unfold as possible before I expire naturally. It’s a short fucking life anyway.

And secondly, the pain I feel from his suicide is nothing compared to the pain our father feels, or his mother (half brother). Or his wife. Most all of us have someone or some people who would be ripped to fucking shreds by our suicide. I’ve endured a taste of that and witnessed it full on in loved ones. If my brother was still alive, a lot of people would be infinitely better off. Suicide is rarely a victimless act. I honestly don’t think my brother could ever fathom how much his suicide would have affected his loved ones and I’m convinced he wouldn’t have done it if he had had any clue. 

• Like 2

On 10/30/2019 at 1:18 AM, ambergonk said:

This is a question I ponder not out of melancholy, but as a legit existential one. The trends throughout this planet...climate change, potential rising sea levels and temperatures along with lower pH levels...the resurgence of fascism...widening income inequality between social classes...an increasing proclivity towards irrational behavior among people in general...

If you're actually considering suicide, these reasons you've given aren't the actual reasons.  There are deeper problems that need to be solved, and I recommend turning off the noise and looking inward for a good moment.  Maybe you'll see there's more going on than just news stories.

1 hour ago, Det Bluto said:

My only brother killed himself at age 36. My emotions run the gamut from hating him for it, to wanting to emulate him. It’s insanely complicated. But there are two huge reasons I would never. As another poster mentioned, anything is possible and I really want to see as much unfold as possible before I expire naturally. It’s a short fucking life anyway.

And secondly, the pain I feel from his suicide is nothing compared to the pain our father feels, or his mother (half brother). Or his wife. Most all of us have someone or some people who would be ripped to fucking shreds by our suicide. I’ve endured a taste of that and witnessed it full on in loved ones. If my brother was still alive, a lot of people would be infinitely better off. Suicide is rarely a victimless act. I honestly don’t think my brother could ever fathom how much his suicide would have affected his loved ones and I’m convinced he wouldn’t have done it if he had had any clue. 

My step brother went the same route nearly 5 years ago, granted it was partly due to combat-related PTSD. But I can't imagine the pain you and your folks are dealing with. It's absolutely a ripple effect - something that anyone with severe depression needs to carefully consider when these kinds of thoughts creep up. 

However, contemplation of suicide was NOT my intention from my post from Oct 29th. What I meant at the time is that I don't see thing getting any easier or happier for the planet any time soon. But you never know.

I think I just need to GTFO of WATMM for a while. Dank Memes are one of the main reasons I've been sticking around this year, but even that thread appears to be fading from relevance. That and apparently my PR game is shit.

55 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

However, contemplation of suicide was NOT my intention from my post from Oct 29th. What I meant at the time is that I don't see thing getting any easier or happier for the planet any time soon. But you never know.

Apologies for the misinterpretation or misread.

However, I would challenge the notion everything is getting worse. From certain perspectives and metrics, things have never been better. Not to minimize how shit certain things are (climate change, trump style leadership/personalities in charge, nukes, whatever) but cumulatively we all should feel blessed compared to past generations.  And if not, then maybe an existential case can be made that it’s all pointless. But that’s dangerous and irresponsible. 

I empathize with the sentiment though, truly

On 10/26/2019 at 9:35 PM, drillkicker said:

There's a special kind of mood that comes from the classic special effects that sets '80s fantasy films apart.  I've always thought those felt much more magical and more faithful to the fantasy genre.  The limitations engendered by the technology (both in terms of FX and low resolution) also made the characters' struggles seem more grave and helpless.

A great example of this is the first Terminator movie. The scenes with Kyle Reese fighting Skynet in the future are bleak as hell. When you get to the newer movies, it doesn't feel nearly as scary or hopeless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Candiru said:

A great example of this is the first Terminator movie. The scenes with Kyle Reese fighting Skynet in the future are bleak as hell. When you get to the newer movies, it doesn't feel nearly as scary or hopeless.

Also this

spacer.png

• Like 1

That vid was actually really interesting though (the one that's been removed).  I'd seen it before.  Interesting that someone entirely non-verbal is so eloquent in writing.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

40 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Sent.

"There are people being tortured, people dying, because they are considered non-persons, because their kind of thought is so unusual as to not be considered thought at all. Only when the many shapes of personhood are recognized will justice and human rights be possible."

Pretty wise words actually and kind of makes me think of the dilemma of animal rights. I'm by the way not comparing autists to animals, but the thinking that makes industrial mass stock farming possible also makes considering autists as some sort of mentally inferior beings possible.

Pretty strange that this vid has been censored.

Don’t get it, thought the video was a fascinating insight into communication, personhood, the way she went back through each scene, her interior world in real time through gestures all her own language system or something so beyond language to be almost ineffable.

We ain’t all kids taking the piss out of someone else’s dignity.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, cwmbrancity said:

Don’t get it, thought the video was a fascinating insight into communication, personhood, the way she went back through each scene, her interior world in real time through gestures all her own language system or something so beyond language to be almost ineffable.

We ain’t all kids taking the piss out of someone else’s dignity.

you came into another thread (topic/97493-im-ashamed-of-watmm-sometimes/) and blatantly posted a video (different to the one above) to take the piss out of an autistic person. you could've posted it anywhere, but you chose to bump that thread in order to draw attention to the issue of autism on watmm all over again, causing the thread to get locked.

and now you're claiming - quite seriously - that you had innocent intentions. what is your game? 

@Dragon Crediting that with an appropriate answer should be ignored. How cynical are you or more to the point what’s your game?

I work as a mental health advocate,.Now think about that. You’ve taken the polar opposite of the original intention & spun it 180degrees. The lady’s YouTube user channel is silentmiaow. Did you watch the one actually posted? Was there any bs involved?

pm’d JR Ewing, misinterpretation is easy to twist any way you deem fit. Or not. Or play games. Or write a protracted, pointlessly pedantic reply. And then apologise.