IGNORED

Your pointless thoughts & observations

Plum

51 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

KFC would probably get more business if they fried a couple other meats too.  Fried prawns would be especially popular.  Idiots.

KFF: Kentucky Fried Food 

On 12/14/2020 at 7:37 PM, ambermonke said:

Oh jeezus. Nearly a year ago I had two female coworkers (early to mid 20s) who would stream Disney+ nonstop at work. Sure, the majority of us watched the movies when we were kids, but you'd think they'd outgrow that shit by now.

I'd like to say something about Zoomers and Millennials being more childish than the previous generations but I just played several hours of Super Mario Bros 3 so who am I to criticize.

• Like 1

Just now, zkom said:

I'd like to say something about Zoomers and Millennials being more childish than the previous generations but I just played several hours of Super Mario Bros 3 so who am I to criticize.

Gaming is for all ages...depending on the ESRB rating

15 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

KFC would probably get more business if they fried a couple other meats too.  Fried prawns would be especially popular.  Idiots.

I've heard bad things about the prawn industry and its sustainability.  I would go for fried mushrooms and eggplant, though.

4 hours ago, zkom said:

Gen X is the most childish for their age from my perspective.

9 hours ago, ambermonke said:

Gaming is for all ages...depending on the ESRB rating

It's now but back in 80s and early 90s video games were considered toys for children. Check this video about the SNES launch.

Edited by zkom
  • Burger 1

5 hours ago, drillkicker said:

I've heard bad things about the prawn industry and its sustainability.  I would go for fried mushrooms and eggplant, though.

Gen X is the most childish for their age from my perspective.

Yeah, the more I think the more I don't even know what I'm talking about. Something about changing media consumption habits and increasing leisure time probably.

I've been listening to an audiobook version of Proust's In Search of Lost Time set mostly in the early 1900s and oh man lot of the characters are really juvenile even when they grow up, including the narrator who is kind of a dandy and seems to have way too much free time on his hands so he can worry about some pretty fucking trivial things. It's a nice series of books anyway.

6 hours ago, zkom said:

It's now but back in 80s and early 90s video games were considered toys for children. Check this video about the SNES launch.

I feel like gaming is generally a foreign concept to anyone older than Gen X. My own mother was stingy af about even letting me touch NES growing up.

My parents actually enjoyed playing Tetris together back in the 80s but they definitely don't play games much anymore. Maybe on their phones.

16 minutes ago, Braintree said:

My parents actually enjoyed playing Tetris together back in the 80s but they definitely don't play games much anymore. Maybe on their phones.

Seeing how my parents only play games like Tetris and maybe Candy Crush or something similar they kind of go into the same bin as crossword puzzles and sudokus as just simple time killers, even though they technically are video games. Anything that would take even a few hours to get into or where you need to engage with a plot or learn lots of game mechanics is out of the question. I'm not saying games like Tetris don't take any skill. It's just how and in what context they play them. Maybe comparable to watching feature film or following a TV series in comparison to watching video clips on Youtube or Facebook.

I had basically stopped playing video games a few years ago until this fucking pandemic happened. Now I have probably a few hundred hours of playtime in Breath of the Wild since February.. I don't think I've been playing this much video games in the last 15 years or so.

12 hours ago, zkom said:

Lol I love that Tim & Eric move that starts at about 1 minute in

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cryptowen said:

I feel bad for Gen X. Born too late to enjoy peak Capitalism. Born too early to enjoy having no other frame of reference than trough Capitalism. Doomed to a life of commodified nihilism

TBH, 90s was a pretty good time to be young. No social media, lots of freedom, good music. Cold war had just ended and 9/11 and war on terror were still in the future.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, zkom said:

TBH, 90s was a pretty good time to be young. No social media, lots of freedom, good music. Cold war had just ended and 9/11 and war on terror were still in the future.

I can remember thinking at some point back in the '90s, that the '90s are so bland. there's nothing remarkable about this decade, as opposed to the '60s, '70s, '80s, which all have clear mental associations and pop culture references attached with each. I was also a wallowing teenager back then, not at all realizing that we were soon going to be entering the blandest series of years of them all - the 2000's. the rise of internet culture essentially made the past 20 years all blend into one big globalized and unremarkable clump...mentally I can't really set apart stuff from 2008 to 2018. the fashion trends, popular music, etc. are all just so similar.

so yeah, compared to 2000 - 2020, the '90s were a great time to be young.

3 hours ago, zero said:

I can remember thinking at some point back in the '90s, that the '90s are so bland. there's nothing remarkable about this decade, as opposed to the '60s, '70s, '80s, which all have clear mental associations and pop culture references attached with each. I was also a wallowing teenager back then, not at all realizing that we were soon going to be entering the blandest series of years of them all - the 2000's. the rise of internet culture essentially made the past 20 years all blend into one big globalized and unremarkable clump...mentally I can't really set apart stuff from 2008 to 2018. the fashion trends, popular music, etc. are all just so similar.

so yeah, compared to 2000 - 2020, the '90s were a great time to be young.

Also things like personal freedom for youngsters, like it was in the 90s, is pretty much gone now. I can't even imagine what's it like to be a teenager now. Your parents can contact you 24/7 by cellphones, monitor your internet usage and check the social media for your friends and contacts. Back in the 90s I could be gone for days being somewhere in an "off the grid" cabin with my friends and because there was no landline we were basically unreachable. Sometimes I would just leave a note in the kitchen that I'm gone for the day or night if I was expecting to be coming back in 24h.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, zkom said:

Also things like personal freedom for youngsters, like it was in the 90s, is pretty much gone now. I can't even imagine what's it like to be a teenager now. Your parents can contact you 24/7 by cellphones, monitor your internet usage and check the social media for your friends and contacts. Back in the 90s I could be gone for days being somewhere in an "off the grid" cabin with my friends and because there was no landline we were basically unreachable. Sometimes I would just leave a note in the kitchen that I'm gone for the day or night if I was expecting to be coming back in 24h.

for real man i was born feb '01 and i hate it

29 minutes ago, dcom said:

I AM BEER

Hide contents

My first name is Nuutti, it's rather rare so it's weird to see a beer with my name on it. I don't drink beer, though.

It's a pretty decent beer. I've had it a couple of times. Rest of the Hiisi Brewery beers also have names based on the more obscure beings, things and concepts in Finnish mythology and traditions, like Iku-Turso, Kipinätär and Itse. I guess in this case "Nuutti" is a reference to Nuuttipukki or Nuutinpäivä and not really the first name.

12 minutes ago, zkom said:

I guess in this case "Nuutti" is a reference to Nuuttipukki or Nuutinpäivä and not really the first name.

After 46-odd years of living with the name I'm rather well versed in the meaning and traditional practices in regards to it (there ïs almost four pages on the subject in Kustaa Vilkunan Vuotuinen Ajantieto) - just to give the non-Finns some perspective on the subject, there is an old Finnish proverb "good Tuomas (Thomas) brings Christmas, evil Nuutti takes it away"; this is based on Finnish namedays, where Christmastime starts on December 21st (Tuomas' nameday) and ends on January 13th (Nuutti's nameday); see St. Knut's Day for details - I rather like the idea of being a Finnish Krampus.

Anyway, I was trying to be humorous (see also I AM GROOT), this is your pointless thoughts and observations - not teach WATMM about weird Finnish traditions and customs.

Ah fuck, don't know what happened. Elves at work?

13 minutes ago, dcom said:

Anyway, I was trying to be humorous (see also I AM GROOT), this is your pointless thoughts and observations - not teach WATMM about weird Finnish traditions and customs.

I just get easily tempted to go on about this stuff now that I've been reading on Finnish necromantic practices, spirits of the graveyards, and other weird stuff lately while in isolation. So I end up talking about them so much that my friends and family are starting to get weirded out. And I add fuel to the fire by joking that I see "invisible little people" that tell me things. All in good fun until I get sent to a psychiatrist and I need to try to explain myself out of this situation. Hopefully the medication is at least nice.

4 hours ago, dcom said:

I AM BEER

Hide contents

My first name is Nuutti, it's rather rare so it's weird to see a beer with my name on it. I don't drink beer, though.

We have a thread for that: