IGNORED

Your pointless thoughts & observations

Plum

On 12/31/2020 at 5:39 AM, Schlitze said:

I see standards on this forum have slumped to new depths. The stench of 'aw shucks' doucheyness hangs thick in the air. Its cotton candy in forum form. Who is to blame for this pityful decline? I will speak to them. 

Welcome back, grumpy guy!

Did you know that the fax is an older invention than telephone? The first one was patented in 1843 and the first commercial telefax service started 1865, 11 years before the telephone was invented, but it was a commercial failure. mind=blown

Here's a quick explanation how the contraption worked:

17 hours ago, ignatius said:

i'm skeptical of bell sounds in electronic music. 

Then you'll find a large chunk of my discography is quite suspect.

18 hours ago, ignatius said:

i'm skeptical of bell sounds in electronic music. 

because i recently made the fm bell tones + skittery beat IDM track that everyone else made in 2001 and had to mess it up to make it tolerable.

Dunno, bells can be more than just FM. One could assemble the bell sound from an exciter sound (thing that hits the object) and resonator sound (thing that is being hit), kinda like physical modeling. Also you can add resonances and overtones by just layering it with metallic sounding sinewaves with a nice release but but in a slightly different melody than the sounds they are layered with.

On 12/31/2020 at 10:50 AM, very honest said:
On 12/31/2020 at 6:34 AM, dingformung said:

sounds plausible but do u drive da soundcard slightly at 100% sys volume (i mean it cud happen)? should it always be at 50% (amplitude calculation is done by even number)? bit depth dont get messed up. just do

are you with me

divide by 0, yes

@dingformung sorry i just realized this maybe made sense. i didn't get it and thought you were joking.

in terms of driving the soundcard, i don't know.

in terms of 50% volume not being lossy, i think no, it is. if a sample value is odd then it would get rounded. even in an environment where bit depth is floating point, there is rounding.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, very honest said:

@dingformung sorry i just realized this maybe made sense. i didn't get it and thought you were joking.

in terms of driving the soundcard, i don't know.

in terms of 50% volume not being lossy, i think no, it is. if a sample value is odd then it would get rounded. even in an environment where bit depth is floating point, there is rounding.

I started out thinking it made sense but then decided I will be joking bcs realistically this is a nonsense debate as the differences aren't audible to any human being. I just deleted the post bcs my New Year resolution was 2 post less cringe on main.

5 minutes ago, dingformung said:

I started out thinking it made sense but then decided I will be joking bcs realistically this is a nonsense debate as the differences aren't audible to any human being. I just deleted the post bcs my New Year resolution was 2 post less cringe on main.

yeah i'm not sure if i notice the difference.

i'm not oppressed by the masses.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dingformung said:

Dunno, bells can be more than just FM. One could assemble the bell sound from an exciter sound (thing that hits the object) and resonator sound (thing that is being hit), kinda like physical modeling. Also you can add resonances and overtones by just layering it with metallic sounding sinewaves with a nice release but but in a slightly different melody than the sounds they are layered with.

You can also just use additive synthesis to make bell patches. Get three sine wave oscillators with a fast attack/long release and detune two of them.

• Like 2

what if you recorded yurself playing grand theft auto, and then you recorded the recording being played back on really shit vinyl, and then you put it on bandcamp under the name the cartaker

Spoiler

leyland, bro, call me

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

it was a typo.. was supposed to say "i'm skeptical of ball sounds" 

srsly though was just tiny venting about one specific thing.  this is how ambient rants bubble up. 

man being signed to an asmr record label must suck

exec: *breathy whisper into microphone* hey paul, just want to let you know that your sales went...really good this year...reallly........reeeaallly, just....so good

artist: oh, great

exec: yeeeah....i've even got *sound of paper being torn* a very special *notebook flipping* paycheque *pen scratching* a big paycheque just for you, mister

artist: ...

exec: ........and buddy, you deserve it

artist: hey can we speed this up a bit? i left my kids in the car with the windows up because I saw goa producers hanging out in the parking lot

exec: *breathes heavil* jingle jangle, that's the sound of coins dancing in my pocket, dancing just for you paulllll

Edited by Cryptowen
  • Like 1