IGNORED

Your pointless thoughts & observations

Plum

i mean for real tho why does every asmr channel feel like when you come across a deviantart page with weird, seemingly-innocuous drawings & a bunch of comments that read like they were written with one hand

@zkomI like this idea of "lowercase ambient", or an ambient spectrum. i've had the same thought with ambient & noise music. Sometimes you'll have "noise" which uses many harmonic elements (like the band Black Dice), or "ambient" which happens to be made out of musical sounds but still makes for a very noisey, freeform listening experience (like early OPN records just being these untamed sprawling vistas of arpeggiated synth riffs)

5 minutes ago, Cryptowen said:

i mean for real tho why does every asmr channel feel like when you come across a deviantart page with weird, seemingly-innocuous drawings & a bunch of comments that read like they were written with one hand

@zkomI like this idea of "lowercase ambient", or an ambient spectrum. i've had the same thought with ambient & noise music. Sometimes you'll have "noise" which uses many harmonic elements (like the band Black Dice), or "ambient" which happens to be made out of musical sounds but still makes for a very noisey, freeform listening experience (like early OPN records just being these untamed sprawling vistas of arpeggiated synth riffs)

I feel like there's some crossover potential between the various ASMR videos, "Star Trek TNG bridge sounds for 8 hours" videos, minimalist ambient, noise music and field recordings that could be totally novel. Maybe throw in some minimalist techno also.

ooh i can picture it. i'm thinking something in the spirit of a long DJ, but much more variable in nature owing the the fact that it isn't confined to specific contexts like the dancefloor or a study session. it could go wherever it wanted to go, for as long as it wanted to go: several hours of sparse field recordings followed by an album's worth of ambient compositions, followed by freeform noise, followed by spoken word narration, etc. And it would all be mixed together in such a way that you could never quite tell where the "music" parts began or ended

That guy that does ASMR and just eats stuff makes me feel like I'm very much capable of murder.

27 minutes ago, zero said:

her?

spacer.png

arrested development GIF

4 hours ago, zkom said:

I feel like there's some crossover potential between the various ASMR videos, "Star Trek TNG bridge sounds for 8 hours" videos, minimalist ambient, noise music and field recordings that could be totally novel. Maybe throw in some minimalist techno also.

How is this any different from early OPN ?

• Farnsworth 1

18 hours ago, Braintree said:

What happened to the MF DOOM thread in the Music Discussion forum...?

a mystery mod merged the rip doom thread with a catch-all daniel dumile thread.. so i guess we can continue the dumile tributes there

Edited by markedone
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, drillkicker said:

How is this any different from early OPN ?

I'm not sure, because I've never really heard anything by OPN that would sound similar to what I'm thinking. Care to throw some examples?

What I'm thinking is something like this, if this makes any fucking sense outside my own head, lol:

+

+

+

On 1/4/2021 at 4:40 PM, zkom said:

I'm not sure, because I've never really heard anything by OPN that would sound similar to what I'm thinking. Care to throw some examples?

What I'm thinking is something like this, if this makes any fucking sense outside my own head, lol:

+

+

+

Desribing Bodies is minimalist ambient, Nil Ad Mirari is noise, Format and Journey North has field recordings (among many other tracks of his), and pretty much all of it sounds like spaceship noises, but a fine example is When I Get Back from New York.

1 hour ago, drillkicker said:

Desribing Bodies is minimalist ambient, Nil Ad Mirari is noise, Format and Journey North has field recordings (among many other tracks of his), and pretty much all of it sounds like spaceship noises, but a fine example is When I Get Back from New York.

Yeah, I start to get what you mean. I'm not familiar with most of that stuff. I was thinking about something way less melody oriented. Maybe no chords, definitely no arpeggios like in When I Get Back from New York. Something much more akin to Forms of Paper by Steve Roden in terms minimalism instead of long droning chords. Tiny short microscopic sounds enhanced.

honestly for most electronic music of any genre (my own included) I feel like I want to engage with it spatially rather than temporarily. IE the music feels constrained by being fixed to a single linear flow, and infinite generative gimmicks usually don't quite do it for me either. Rather I want to experience the track like it's an environment that I'm in, with no clear beginning, end, or fixed direction. As I walk around the room different aspects fade or come to prominence. Clusters of sound parameters that can be picked up like objects & moved around, modifying the environment in various ways.

I feel like this is why I generally prefer making music to listening to it. The feeling is more atemporal - hearing the same sounds on loop hundreds of times, modifying them constantly on the fly, seems to lend itself more to that exploratory environmental feeling rather than that linear narrative feeling (which does work for certain kinds of music, like say a complex classical composition or a lyrical song that literally tells a story).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ambermonke said:

I'm sure I sound like a crotchety old bastard saying this, and idk if it's just on YT or also on Reddit & elsewhere, but it seems like nobody knows how to be original anymore when writing comments.

As another elderly curmudgeon, I agree. It's a cumulative problem: if you read nothing but poorly written inane crap with no structure and a limited vocabulary, that's how you write. If you're exposed to nothing but social media, you write like social media: quick, simple comments requiring no thought and no personality. I read widely and a lot (dead tree editions, too), so when I write (even here) I revise what I write several times to compress, expand, tighten, loosen, simplify, complicate - and sometimes I just throw everything away because I make no sense. I try to communicate, not just throw boiled spaghetti on the wall to see if it sticks.

• Like 3

I wonder if any musician/music artist has made an "album" that's actually a set of modules that are no more than 30 seconds each, but all have the same instrumentation and tempo but with different notes and drum patterns. In theory, one can loop and shuffle this "album" simultaneously and have effectively randomized modules seaming with each other, while still making it sound like the same song but with an indefinite duration and non-linear structure.

I'm sure this would make absolutely no sense to most people. But I'm sure someone here would get it.

• Farnsworth 2

15 minutes ago, dingformung said:

^Isn't that basically the concept of Gescom - Minidisk (though I think in this case poorly done)?

I was actually thinking that before making that post. Le Shark (not Monke) in particular comes to mind.

one of the cool things about society coming to an end is that the threat of being excommunicated from casual aquaintance networks no longer factors in to the way i word things to other people. i feel like i've finally started to become the salty dick i want to see in the world

1 minute ago, zero said:

@Cryptowen aren't you in Quebec? how's the curfew thing going? 

apparently there was a big protest downtown the first night (I didn't hear about it til the next day). a bunch of people got arrested & there were police helicopters in the sky

judging by the montreal reddit page (which is my go to for "general local normal person opinion" updates) the curfew has caused a very abrupt mood whiplash amongst the general populace. for pretty much the whole quarantine so far the mood has seemingly been "we're all in this together! trust the experts! we'd be out of this by now if it wasn't for those damn kids not keeping two metres of daylight between each other at all times...". and now suddenly i'm seeing lots of comments along the lines of "this is bullshit, the government has no idea what it's doing". also i notice that most of the people i've run into randomly the last week have seemed on edge, out of sorts, making vague statements about their mental health. i can often hear ppl through the walls in my apartment complex talking to themselves in an angry tone, cursing, making vague threats.

me personally i feel charged up. my umbrage levels have not increased, they simply have become less concealed