IGNORED

Your pointless thoughts & observations

Plum

1 hour ago, dingformung said:

Is that why you keep coming back to them? But I guess that's between you and God.

I just like the Takemitsu soundtracks, okay ?

Seriously, though, old Japanese cinema is legit, but apparently rape was a really serious problem in Japan until the 1960s.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, drillkicker said:

Finishing boox sux when I can't talk about it with anyone because they haven't and won't read the book, and I can't go through and explain all the nuance that an entire book has.  All I have are the internet and other boox, and the occasional geezer I meet who's actually read Gravity's Rainbow.

I’ll definitely deny having read any book if my friend wants to go through and explain all the detail that an entire book has. 

• Haha 1

Seems for Christmas and my birthday people always get me dark chocolate... I really quite dislike it, including my stomach because I'm semi- lactose intolerant. I don't want to complain though and I end up eating it, just slowly.

1 hour ago, toaoaoad said:

Way to go! Go in with an open mind, and listen for the similarities not the differences. 

Someone in here was trash talking the program the other day, can't remember where or who but it was one of those guys who seems to be unhappy about everything all the time lol. There are a lot of misconceptions about the program out there, usually perpetuated by people who have never needed it themselves. I think this person was saying that it's "unscientific" lol. Just bear in mind that it has worked for millions of people across the entire world for nearly a hundred years. So I'm not sure what a scientific study would prove that isn't already proven by that: it works. There will be assholes, and there might be some people who try to tell you what to do. Some of them might be right. Look for the people who seem to be living a good life because a lot of it has to do with living by example. Good luck to you and remember it's one day at a time. 

My new favorite WATMMER award right here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toaoaoad said:

Way to go! Go in with an open mind, and listen for the similarities not the differences. 

Someone in here was trash talking the program the other day, can't remember where or who but it was one of those guys who seems to be unhappy about everything all the time lol. There are a lot of misconceptions about the program out there, usually perpetuated by people who have never needed it themselves. I think this person was saying that it's "unscientific" lol. Just bear in mind that it has worked for millions of people across the entire world for nearly a hundred years. So I'm not sure what a scientific study would prove that isn't already proven by that: it works. There will be assholes, and there might be some people who try to tell you what to do. Some of them might be right. Look for the people who seem to be living a good life because a lot of it has to do with living by example. Good luck to you and remember it's one day at a time. 

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.  For the record, I don't think I'm an alcoholic and I'm not "joining" the program, I've just been drinking too much to cope with boredom and loneliness and want to scale it down significantly.  I won't be motivated to do that unless I deal with the loneliness.  Also I have a very close friend who's an alcoholic and has lapsed from the program, so I'm joining her and we'll be there together.

The other problem is that alcohol has been the central aspect of my social life for the majority of my adult life, and that's a little concerning.  I have a friend now who never acquired a taste for alcohol and hanging out with him is a new experience.

@toaoaoad

My friend and I are actually travelling a bit to go to the only AA group that's meeting in person right now.  We both can't stand the digital socialization shit like Zoom.  Real, in person interactions are indispensable, and it's worth it to wear a mask.

• Like 1

I went to a couple meetings with my ex since she was an addict. A lot of people are very aware of the christian undertone but find it helpful. A lot of people that are alcoholics/addicts have problems with anxiety and depression and self medicate. Being part of a community and talking to other people that are suffering tends to be a lot of help for people with mental health problems.

I've been to one AA and one NA meeting and even though it wasn't for me it was pretty clear that you could interpret the spiritual part entirely as you see fit and that it is a tool used to try and deal with something most programs leave unaddressed. Pretty sure it's the most effective treatment program there is. 

Good luck, drillkicker!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

I think this person was saying that it's "unscientific" lol

The person just said that the idea that alcoholism is an incurable disease that you can only tackle but never heal is unscientific, and that this idea despite being unscientific is used in the therapy, not that AA doesn't work for some people. I'm just paraphrasing, not saying whether I agree or not.

8 hours ago, drillkicker said:

For the record, I don't think I'm an alcoholic and I'm not "joining" the program, I've just been drinking too much to cope with boredom and loneliness and want to scale it down significantly.  I won't be motivated to do that unless I deal with the loneliness.

Simply being with a bunch of random people won't fix your loneliness, though. Maybe your boredom, temporarily.

I'd probably prefer actual therapy over some religious bullshit if I was seriously addicted to alcohol. Historically AA developed out of a fundamentalist Christian sect. There must be secular programs that use scientific/psychological insights for treatment and keep ideology and religious indoctrination out of it. But do what you want and feel is best for you, maybe it's entertaining or even helpful for you.

• Facepalm 2

43 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

What type of "scientific proof" are you looking for that would make you feel safer about millions of people across the world using this program to get clean and sober? Is not the fact that the program has been so enormously effective for this long kind of a huge scientific experiment in itself? 

Who asked for scientific proof and who questioned that AA can work for some people? I think you misunderstood the previous posts completely and therefore the rest of your comment can be discarded.

43 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

Pull your head out of your ass and save your energy for matters that actually concern you. With all due respect ?

Can you give me some tips on how to do that?

Edited by dingformung
  • Facepalm 1

47 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

American Airlines gives out complimentary wine too - would avoid.

not on US domestic flights though. 

which brings to mind another pointless thought - airplane food always gives me a horrible bloated feeling. something about eating in a pressurized cabin, thousands of feet up, is just too unnatural for the stomach to deal with. 

I don't recall the last time I had one of the provided meals on a flight.  Not sure if it's the pressurized cabin giving you the grief, or the food itself.  Seems pretty sketchy most of the time (why I never accept it).  I'm all over the peanuts/pretzel bags tho.

28 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I don't recall the last time I had one of the provided meals on a flight.  Not sure if it's the pressurized cabin giving you the grief, or the food itself.  Seems pretty sketchy most of the time (why I never accept it).  I'm all over the peanuts/pretzel bags tho.

I think it's only on those long haul international flights they give the complimentary meals. they don't give you anything for free on the US carriers anymore. yeah, I haven't troubleshooted enough to tell if it's the food or what, only know it always seems to happen to me after eating mid air.

at least now I have a kid with me so if I have to let out some of that built up air, I can, you know, just blame it on him.

51 minutes ago, zero said:

which brings to mind another pointless thought - airplane food always gives me a horrible bloated feeling. something about eating in a pressurized cabin, thousands of feet up, is just too unnatural for the stomach to deal with. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fart-on-planes_n_58e7d466e4b05413bfe2bb2b

HAFE stands for High Altitude Flatus Expulsion. Coined by a pair of researchers in the 1980s, the “tongue-in-cheek” term describes a phenomenon observed when mountain climbers experienced flatulence at high altitudes, said Dr. David Shlim, a physician and former president of the International Society of Travel Medicine.

Turns out HAFE is likely at play when you pass more gas on a plane.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:
1 hour ago, dingformung said:

It is said that some people actually enjoy the weird mixture of flatulence, diarrhoea and constipation. It's a welcome challenge, if you think about it.

There ya go. Stick to what you know, @dingformung  :duckhunt:

I'm glad to hear that this particular type of content is to your liking, and not surprised

• Haha 1

schedule an irl encounter for tmrw in a weird moment of pro-active sociability

oh no it's coming up, i just want to do yoga & read veblen tmrw

oh wait she just sent me a text about getting a root canal or something

thank god

Spoiler

turns out that getting older doesn't mean overcoming your introversion, it just means that you're into it now