IGNORED

Your pointless thoughts & observations

Plum

Crockett's outfit in this pic gets funnier the longer I look. Loafers without socks are really the cherry on top.

miamivice-season-3.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1

Somehow I wandered into r/justneckbeardthings and was quickly reminded that I need to trim my corona beard

I think "No, I'm Iron Man" may be my favourite song title.  (Off Butthole Surfers' album, Piouhgd.)  Also, Hairway to Steven is the best album title (same band)... and that was before this hipster trend of naming your band Com Truise etc.

On 4/8/2021 at 4:09 PM, zero said:

some people really suck at emailing, I mean really suck. I've done a lot of emailing over the course of my career, and so know a good one from a bad one. "how to write an email 101" should be taught at all higher learning institutions. so many people fail miserably at this mundane activity.

For any of the undergrad programs at my uni “digitally mediated communication” is a required 1st or 2nd year course. (Covers email obvs). Which is nice! Not sure if it’s required at other public universities up here.

definitely agree with you it should be required, even taught in high school tbh. Whether or not you pursue post secondary, you’ll likely have to email for work at many points in your life lol. It’s basically a life skill at this point.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2021 at 3:48 AM, zkom said:

Crockett's outfit in this pic gets funnier the longer I look. Loafers without socks are really the cherry on top.

miamivice-season-3.jpg

Who wears a fucking trench coat in Southern Florida? 

I probably have some glaring social awkwardness/defect that I'm struggling to pinpoint but is obvious to everybody else. That or I'm just imagining things.

On 4/15/2021 at 12:24 AM, yekker said:

Does anyone browse WATMM with their phones horizontally?

everyone try this!! it's like magic. fantastic feature.

WATMM wasn't made for mobile, it was made to be glared at in a dimly lit room over cum encrusted tissues and crumpled soda cans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Burger 2
  • Farnsworth 1
  • Big Brain 1

Cartouche Cummies by Egyptian Field Agency

Basil Warwick House of Devine Elegance

Erotic Futures

Chaos Elementals in Sandstone

Desertronics

Dinning with the Coopers - an "art" of sound

Astral Buttress 

Fort McCauley; essence and ritual in Virginian pale blue

Colonial Corp.

Vest Tones: tan

Twin Visions Simple 

Tickertape Ptolemy 

Curled Out in Ancient Stone

Pathways: coping with death and death

Cycles of Collin 

Looking into Squirt

Fluting Beyond Pan

These Bones, This Man

There appears to be a real problem with bots trying to pirate free music they discover on blogs.  But if they're sophisticated enough to seek out music, surely they can figure out how to tick off the "not a bot" option.  Perhaps the greater problem is that they are just too honest for this sick world.  Bots just wanna listen to their tunes and be real.  Why can't the humans just accept that?

The title of the “weirdly specific diy books” thread has bothered me from day one. Vague and broad diy books would be a lot weirder and more useless. A more accurate title would have been “obscure diy books” or “weird diy books”.  Just waiting for someone to respond with a “lol that’s so random” to make the cycle complete. 

On 4/18/2021 at 12:33 PM, Zephyr_Nova said:

There appears to be a real problem with bots trying to pirate free music they discover on blogs.  But if they're sophisticated enough to seek out music, surely they can figure out how to tick off the "not a bot" option.  Perhaps the greater problem is that they are just too honest for this sick world.  Bots just wanna listen to their tunes and be real.  Why can't the humans just accept that?

totally agree that bots just wanna have fun. if only they could figure out what a bicycle looks like. or a streetlamp or a bridge, then they could be free like the rest of us.

• Thanks 1

4 of the 5 likes on my last IG post are from tinder/bumble matches.  Apparently those are the best sites for building a fanbase.  IDM hobbyists take note.  You won't find your audience on soundcloud or myspace or whatever the fuck you've been lead to believe.  Dating apps is where your fanbase waits.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

So there's that popular band trope where they'll end a song by having every instrument hit a big power harmonic that lingers & slowly fades (presumably into the cheering of the crowd). And usually the drummer will do that thing where they're just hitting really light, fast textural tones on the cymbals to go along with it. Is that just there so the drummer has something to do? Don't get me wrong, it usually isn't annoying (except for when I'm trying to sample the reverb tails of songs), but it also just kinda feels like it's there for the sake of it being there.

I think I like it better when the drummer plays that outro bit like the main rhythm of the song is slowly unspooling; like there might be a couple of stray kicks & recognizable elements from the rhythm proper, but in a way that makes obvious that the groove has been irrevocably broken.

Edited by Cryptowen
  • Like 1

which one of you is adam curtis? your new documentary series is absolutely sick.

the score:

2Pac – Violent
Andrzej Panufnik – "Kołysanka" from Polonia
Aphex Twin – #13
Aphex Twin – #23
Aphex Twin – #3
Aphex Twin – #4
Aphex Twin – Avril 14th
Arne Weinberg & Shawn Rudiman – The Lost Arts
Arsenic1987 – Pac-Man Theme (Remix)
Atticus Ross & Leopold Ross - Eleven Fifty Eight
Benjamin Britten – “Dawn” from Four Sea Interludes from Peter Grimes
Bill Ryder-Jones – The Reader (Malbork)
Bonnie Guitar – Dark Moon
Brian McBride – A Gathering to Lead Me When You're Gone
Brian McBride – Girl Nap
Brian McBride – When the Detail Lost its Freedom
Bright Eyes – Lua
Burial – Beachfires
Burial – Forgive
Chromatics – Broken Mirrors
Cigarettes After Sex – Starry Eyes
Claude Channes – La Chinoise (Mao Mao)
Clint Mansell & Kronos Quartet – Ghosts of Things to Come
Cocteau Twins – Lorelei
Death in Vegas – Lever Street
Demen – Korridorer
Ennio Morricone – La Casa Delle Streghe
Gang of Four - Natural's Not In It
Geneva Skeen – A Parallel Array of Horses
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Static
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - The Dead Flag Blues
Grazhdanskaya Oborona – Вечная весна (Eternal Spring)
Harold Budd – Jane 16 (For Pale Saints)
Headless Heroes – True Love Will Find You in the End
Henry Mancini – Experiment in Terror
In the Nursery – Haunted Dancehall
John Barry – God Save Us
John Barry – Yes, Who is That?
John Carpenter – Theme from The Fog
Johnny Boy – You are the Generation That Bought More Shoes and You Get What You Deserve
Kenneth McKellar – Faery Song
Lawrence Welk – Calcutta
Loreta Kovacic – Tortured Tendon Time
Marlene Dietrich – Sag Mir Wo Die Blumen Sind
Natalie Beridze – Barely Barely
Natalie Beridze – Blue in Grey
Natalie Beridze – Lavandar Lips
Natalie Beridze – Silently
Natalie Beridze – When Dreams Become Responsibility
Nine Inch Nails – A Warm Place
Nine Inch Nails – Letting Go While Holding On
Nine Inch Nails – Run Like Hell
Nine Inch Nails – The Worriment Waltz
Nine Inch Nails – Your Touch
Olivier Messiaen – “Jardin du sommeil d’amour” from the Turangalîla-Symphonie
Phosphorescent – Song for Zula
Pye Corner Audio – It May Not be Real
Pye Corner Audio – Pulse Threshold
Pye Corner Audio – Vorsicht
Richard Strauss – Morgen, Op. 27, no. 4
Richie Hawtin – No Way Back
Roger Eno – Quixote
Roger Williams – What Lies over the Hill
Schneider TM & Kptmichigan – The Light 3000
Sex Pistols – Who Killed Bambi?
Source Direct – Stonekiller
Stars of the Lid – A Meaningful Moment Through
Stars of the Lid – Articulate Silences Part 2
Stars of the Lid – Don't Bother They're Here
Stars of the Lid – Humectez la Mouture
Stars of the Lid – The Evil That Never Arrived
Stereo Total – A L'amour Comme A La Guerre
The Incredible String Band – Air
The Mekons – Where Were You?
The Paris Sisters - I Love How You Love Me
The Raveonettes – Recharge & Revolt
The Secret Sisters – House of Gold
The Specials – Do Nothing
This Mortal Coil - 'Til I Gain Control Again
This Mortal Coil – The Lacemaker
This Mortal Coil – With Tomorrow
Thomas Ragsdale – It Froze Me
Thomas Ragsdale – Self Zero
Thomas Ragsdale – Take a Look at God's Face
Thomas Ragsdale – Teeth Upon Teeth and Limbs Dangling Beneath
Thomas Ragsdale – Warning Mass
Tristram Cary – The Ladykillers (main theme)
William Basinski - The Disintegration Loops
Zhou Xuan – Age of Bloom (Hua Yang De Nianhua)

Edited by very honest

2 hours ago, Cryptowen said:

So there's that popular band trope where they'll end a song by having every instrument hit a big power harmonic that lingers & slowly fades (presumably into the cheering of the crowd). And usually the drummer will do that thing where they're just hitting really light, fast textural tones on the cymbals to go along with it. Is that just there so the drummer has something to do? Don't get me wrong, it usually isn't annoying (except for when I'm trying to sample the reverb tails of songs), but it also just kinda feels like it's there for the sake of it being there.

I think I like it better when the drummer plays that outro bit like the main rhythm of the song is slowly unspooling; like there might be a couple of stray kicks & recognizable elements from the rhythm proper, but in a way that makes obvious that the groove has been irrevocably broken.

could you post an example of that? i don't know what you're talking about.

7 minutes ago, brian trageskin said:

could you post an example of that? i don't know what you're talking about.

i think the specific track that inspired this post was this one, although tbh maybe it's not even a great example. like i said i'm not complaining about this sound, more just recognizing it consciously (and how it inevitably causes there to be shimmery hihat texture in the mix whenever i sample the tonal wash from the end of some piece of muic)

1588009350_chrishinze-easyanswering.mp3

2 minutes ago, Cryptowen said:

i think the specific track that inspired this post was this one, although tbh maybe it's not even a great example. like i said i'm not complaining about this sound, more just recognizing it consciously (and how it inevitably causes there to be shimmery hihat texture in the mix whenever i sample the tonal wash from the end of some piece of muic)

1588009350_chrishinze-easyanswering.mp3 8.56 MB · 1 download

i still don't know what you mean. could you post a better example?

1 minute ago, brian trageskin said:

i still don't know what you mean. could you post a better example?

probably but i'll have to stumble upon one.

this was really one of those "oh yeah i feel like that's a thing i hear a lot....but I can't think of a single other specific example" moments :datboi:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

use it !

for real tho, the whole magic of sampling is in all of those borderline-subliminal background details, which only become apparent in the context of hearing something looped over & over. because i make music on a computer i try to introduce as many "noise" elements as i can without totally destroying the track - ie, having the samples be kinda messy, the timing on some loops just a little bit off, weird little glitches in the mixdown kept instead of being corrected. my goal with making music is similar to my goal with photography - i'm not trying to construct a perfect shot, but rather to capture the organically unfolding moment in such a way that it elevates the constituent parts with a minimum of authorial intervention

Edited by Cryptowen
  • Thanks 1