IGNORED

Your pointless thoughts & observations

Plum

20 hours ago, luke viia said:

I am interested in finding electronical music acts that play with world building and creating their own mythologies (ideally fully-hatched worlds a la Drexciya or the full length stuff by Space Dimension Controller, but narrative isn't totally necessary - coherent thematic stuff like PCA is great too). none of my googling attempts are working. i obviously suck at describing this. help?

I'm listening to one such artist at this moment, who you're no doubt already familiar with - Otto Von Schirach (album: Supermeng [finally... it's quite good]).

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, luke viia said:

I am interested in finding electronical music acts that play with world building and creating their own mythologies (ideally fully-hatched worlds a la Drexciya or the full length stuff by Space Dimension Controller, but narrative isn't totally necessary - coherent thematic stuff like PCA is great too). none of my googling attempts are working. i obviously suck at describing this. help?

The KLF comes to mind, but they loaned heavily from the Illuminatus trilogy, Dr. Who, etc so it's not totally original.

Anyway

• Thanks 1

Someone should make a game that looks like the 80s game cover art and not like what the actual games looked like

F.e. a Pacman game that looks like its Atari cover art:

vodWLs0.jpeg

Or Arkanoid that looks like this

29268-arkanoid-commodore-64-front-cover.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, zkom said:

Someone should make a game that looks like the 80s game cover art and not like what the actual games looked like

F.e. a Pacman game that looks like its Atari cover art:

vodWLs0.jpeg

Or Arkanoid that looks like this

29268-arkanoid-commodore-64-front-cover.

i really like this idea:) i remember getting lost in my imagination from the cover art

and if i was lucky enough to play the game

being disappointed at how it did not look like it promised

until i got lost in the playing of the game

i'm around 50 points before i break outta this veteran chrysalis

any tips on the decorum of a grand master

from those in that highest state of

watmm

?

22 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I'm listening to one such artist at this moment, who you're no doubt already familiar with - Otto Von Schirach (album: Supermeng [finally... it's quite good]).

Oh yeah lol, you got it supermeng. Triangle God has blessed my ear and my pineal is on.

21 hours ago, zkom said:

The KLF comes to mind, but they loaned heavily from the Illuminatus trilogy, Dr. Who, etc so it's not totally original.

Anyway

Thanks! I've never properly checked out The KLF, that oughta keep me busy for a while. 

On 8/30/2021 at 11:55 PM, luke viia said:

on a more dark-humorous note Kool Keith's stuff like Dr. Dooom and Dr. Octagon

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 5:55 PM, luke viia said:

Garden of Delete

• Like 1

I rolled past a random unaccompanied doggo today right before I parked at home. Said doggo acknowledged my oncoming approach, then immediately did a spin and a squat on the grass as I passed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The level at which silicon valley people try to "tech" the whole world really annoys me. Like the big fad for a while now is that we live in a simulation. Even black holes are considered to be "a bug" in the simulation's "code". This gives me so much less hope for the future. We really are going to destroy our civilization. By hubris. You really can't get any lower than that.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, cichlisuite said:

The level at which silicon valley people try to "tech" the whole world really annoys me. Like the big fad for a while now is that we live in a simulation. Even black holes are considered to be "a bug" in the simulation's "code". This gives me so much less hope for the future. We really are going to destroy our civilization. By hubris. You really can't get any lower than that.

Give it another four or five decades. Then it'll be SHODAN Valley.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ambermonke said:

Give it another four or five decades. Then it'll be SHODAN Valley.

You mean the System Shock stuff? Yeah, that's inevitable by now I guess.

I sometimes dwell on these things too much, but why is human kind so fascinated by horrible stuff, even though we know it's horrible, it's everywhere in popular culture almost like a dark dream slowly becoming reality... are we more like "I don't know what I'm doing and this is horrible but I can't stop" or it's more like "YESSS, bring it on BRAHAHAHA"

Just now, cichlisuite said:

You mean the System Shock stuff? Yeah, that's inevitable by now I guess.

I sometimes dwell on these things too much, but why is human kind so fascinated by horrible stuff, even though we know it's horrible, it's everywhere in popular culture almost like a dark dream slowly becoming reality... are we more like "I don't know what I'm doing and this is horrible but I can't stop" or it's more like "YESSS, bring it on BRAHAHAHA"

I reckon. It's human nature to see how far we can push boundaries, consequences be damned.

21 hours ago, cichlisuite said:

When clockworks were the cutting edge of the technology and material mechanism was the order of the day some philosophers said the universe is like a clockwork and God is the watchmaker. The old mechanists couldn't even fathom things interacting with each other without physically touching or something like the electromagnetic field so they came up with ideas like luminiferous aether to explain light propagation in space, because waves traveling in empty waves was simply just unthinkable.

Currently the computers are the forefront of the technology and the universe is supposed to be a computer simulation. I think it's just shows our limit of imagination. Maybe later the computer simulation idea gets replaced with something we can't even imagine now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zkom said:

When clockworks were the cutting edge of the technology and material mechanism was the order of the day some philosophers said the universe is like a clockwork and God is the watchmaker. The old mechanists couldn't even fathom things interacting with each other without physically touching or something like the electromagnetic field so they came up with ideas like luminiferous aether to explain light propagation in space, because waves traveling in empty waves was simply just unthinkable.

Currently the computers are the forefront of the technology and the universe is supposed to be a computer simulation. I think it's just shows our limit of imagination. Maybe later the computer simulation idea gets replaced with something we can't even imagine now.

I don't think it's only a limit of our collective imagination in this particular case. It might be a limit of their imagination though. There are fields out there that deal with cosmology and origins of life in a scientific and naturalistic way that do not share the simulation views. I think, for the same reasons as you described (computer science being one (my emphasis) of the forefronts today), that computer people look at the world through number crunching (for the sake of argument, let's leave pure mathematics aside here), and think that all problems can be solved by computers. While this might be true to some extent, it very much narrows down the perception of the world in order to fit in that perspective (disregarding many otherwise intrinsic and crucial aspects). Have you read any of the simulation ideas that they put forward? I think it has more to do with gas station sci-fi books and lots of hubris than anything else.

Edited by cichlisuite

I've been deep googling the german lawyer Reiner Fuellmich on and off ever since someone sent me a video of him where he explains that he intends to take several governments to court by the way of a class action suit over lockdowns/covid measures because he feels that they are crimes against humanity and that the Nuremberg trials show there is a legal precedent for doing so. Obviously this guy is familiar with the Japanese concept of the crisitunity and saw a way of probably making some money by misleading people into joining his class action suit. Unfortunately googling him usually never gave anything that I could maybe use to discredit him and everything was just sites hosting a transcript of his covidtrial telselvideo. I mostly tried to find something about his involvement in trials against big companies such as Volkswagen and Deutsche Bank, as he explains at the beginning of the video as it seemed to me that there would at least be something online linking him to such widely reported cases. From the transcript:

"I have been practicing law primarily as a trial lawyer against fraudulent corporations such as Deutsche Bank, formerly one of the world’s largest and most respected banks, today one of the most toxic criminal organizations in the world;"

A couple of months ago I finally got something, 2 sites hosting transcripts of Deutsche Bank shareholder meetings, one from 2016 on DB's own site, and one from 2017 that is hosted elsewhere. He's in the transcripts because as a DB shareholder he is not happy with DB's policies that put them at risk of litigation because of the losses this would invoke for the shareholders. He and his team are now at the point that they are inviting companies (for reasons I'm not aware of private entities are not able to participate) to join the class action suit for a mere 800,- euro's with the promise that if the suit is won and damages are awarded the participants will get their 800,- back plus 10% of something else, not entirely clear on that. In the FAQ that's now on their official class action suit site they ask people to give the company that will actually be handling the suit a good review on google. So I really want to give them a five star review and add the links to the DB shareholder meeting reports but I'm slightly afraid I'll be hounded down by these German lawyers. 

For anyone that has as much time to waste on this bullshit as I apparently have:

https://hauptversammlung.db.com/en/docs/HV2016_Gegenantraege_en_040516.pdf

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1159508/000119312517160708/d364981dex993.htm  

9 hours ago, cichlisuite said:

I don't think it's only a limit of our collective imagination in this particular case. It might be a limit of their imagination though. There are fields out there that deal with cosmology and origins of life in a scientific and naturalistic way that do not share the simulation views. I think, for the same reasons as you described (computer science being one (my emphasis) of the forefronts today), that computer people look at the world through number crunching (for the sake of argument, let's leave pure mathematics aside here), and think that all problems can be solved by computers. While this might be true to some extent, it very much narrows down the perception of the world in order to fit in that perspective (disregarding many otherwise intrinsic and crucial aspects). Have you read any of the simulation ideas that they put forward? I think it has more to do with gas station sci-fi books and lots of hubris than anything else.

Yes, I've read them. It feels like theism with aliens. 

But generally I think the simulation argument doesn't hold up much because we have no idea how common intelligent life is, how far it can develop (f.e., is there a Great Filter of some sort?),  how many universes there are, can universe even be simulated, etc. Certainly we ourselves are far away from such simulation because we can barely simulate the inner workings of a single proton in very very very slow motion and even those results are not consistent..  Anyway it's completely speculative and unscientific because there is no way it could be disproved.