IGNORED

Your pointless thoughts & observations

Plum

On 3/24/2022 at 7:06 PM, Zephyr_Nova said:

Today as I approached the door to leave my apartment I noticed I had a fork in my hand.  Hadn't eaten, didn't do dishes...  Why was I holding a fork?

''bro i feel you''spacer.png

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ManjuShri said:

Why does seafood taste fishy? Even freshwater and saltwater foodstuffs taste fishy.

Do you mean fish itself, or anything from the water? With the former, from what I understand it's mostly a sign of not being fresh. The type of fish (and its oiliness) will impact this as well, as that is what (I believe) starts to go rancid and causes the smell. 

full disclaimer: I'm not speaking from any actual working knowledge, just hearsay. edit: also, experience eating really fresh salmon (PNW life)

Edited by luke viia
  • Like 1

I've noticed over the past decade that Polish game developers seem to have a thing for intertwining traditional Japanese cultural aesthetics with cyberpunk. I've seen it in Shadow Warrior 2, Ruiner, and...well, Cyberpunk 2077.

Japanese game devs (particularly Capcom) on the other hand appear to have a long-standing tradition of adopting Western aesthetics and restructuring/fine-tuning them to their own tastes. This seems especially evident in Biohazard/Resident Evil 4, as well as Village (which I haven't played yet).

Edited by ambermonke

I seem to have become one of those people that's plagued by ultrasound.

My apartment building is situated next to a very active waterway and there's a dockyard visible from the window that's behind me as I'm typing this. At nigh I've always been able to feel, and sometimes hear the larger ship's diesels but since 6 months or so it's been getting quite intense. Right now it feels as if my whole floor is wobbling/pulsating and it's starting to worry me a bit. I suspect it might have something to do with the building finally settling (it was delivered about 6 years ago, I think and afaik it would be around this time that all the concrete has actually completely dried/cured/whatever concrete does. In addition to nightly wobbling there's also been piledriving every single day of the week, starting at 7 am, finishing at around 15:00 across the road from us. Only partially ultrasonic, unfortunately. According to my phone my monthly hours in bed average over the last 6 months is a little over 4 hours. FML. ain't even gonna fix this wall of text.

Edited by user

27 minutes ago, user said:

I seem to have become one of those people that's plagued by ultrasound

You're describing infrasound, which is low-frequency and carries long distance due to long wavelengths, often below 20 Hz; ultrasound is high-frequency, over 20 kHz. There's something generating infrasound around the apartment building where I live: in some places inside our apartment a low, throbbing pulse can be either felt or heard, and it's driving me nuts because I can't locate the source. I think it could be the A/C system of the parking cave not directly below our building, the intake/exhaust structure is at a distance of about 30 meters (100 feet or so). But I'm not sure - the throbbing is not constant, so it's on and off, but I haven't been able to discern a pattern.

It's not a pointless observation, it's a real problem that makes some places practically hostile to human habitation.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dcom said:

You're describing infrasound, which is low-frequency and carries long distance due to long wavelengths, often below 20 Hz; ultrasound is high-frequency, over 20 kHz. There's something generating infrasound around the apartment building where I live: in some places inside our apartment a low, throbbing pulse can be either felt or heard, and it's driving me nuts because I can't locate the source. I think it could be the A/C system of the parking cave not directly below our building, the intake/exhaust structure is at a distance of about 30 meters (100 feet or so). But I'm not sure - the throbbing is not constant, so it's on and off, but I haven't been able to discern a pattern.

It's not a pointless observation, it's a real problem that makes some places practically hostile to human habitation.

yes, infrasound is a persistent form of pollution today. Most of the time you don't even know it's there, but in moments of attention it really becomes this ever present annoyance. Not far away from where I live is an industrial furnace for aluminium casting, and it's situated right in the center of the town (terrible idea). The sound reverberates between the buildings and the surrounding hills work as a sound amplifier (I live on a hill), so it's like an old Greek open-air theatre effect. "My" hill also catches a distant transport railway and a motor highway. Both are around 10-15km from here but I can hear them in rare moments of complete silence as this low-vibrating noise or hum, the railway especially at night with the heavy diesel locomotives.

I wonder when urban planners are going to start to take these things into their decision making...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, brian trageskin said:

say what you will about the man but he's indisputably the best-looking president in french history.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Haha 3

For every microwave with an inner rotating floor, there is a certain number of seconds where it will always do a full rotation.  Know this, and you can time it so that your food will always be ready for you at the front when it's done.