IGNORED

Your pointless thoughts & observations

Plum

the radio is so fucking terrible. 

Had the displeasure of having to hear SOMETHING for 34 minutes yesterday (commute to work and then home, later) so I threw on the radio. Figured it would be better than silence, as my POS ipod was being repaired. 

Maybe you guys have good radio stations in the US or UK or something but here it was just 34 minutes of the same sounding crap.

edit: I guess this isn't the pointless rants/raves thread. srry

Almost every major radio station here is owned by Clear Channel. Radio sucks pretty much everywhere in the US. They are also former owners of Live Nation Entertainment, which controls a substantial amount of venues across the nation.

If you ever wonder why mainstream entertainment is utter garbage, you can follow where the money goes and see how much of a feedback loop clusterfuck it is.

There is a San Francisco venue called the DNA Lounge, which hosts goth, industrial, as well as braindance, chiptune, and synthwave stuff. I saw Venetian Snares and Wisp there back in 2009. They wrote a blog post about another venue partnering with Golden Voice and how disappointing it should be to everyone. This is a great breakdown of how these corporations control most of the venues here: https://www.dnalounge.com/backstage/log/2018/01/31.html

Since the radio stations are tied into the venues, the problem is incredibly pernicious and makes underground music even harder to find anywhere (especially in a city where an average 1 bedroom apt. is $3k a month).

Thanks, yeah that article paints quite the picture. I didn't know it worked like that at all (there's not much of a scene here unfortunately). 

Must be frustrating for a lot of artists to not have somewhere independent to play?

San Francisco: a city where an average 1 bedroom apt. is $3k a month

And then apparently there's also this:

The 2016-2017 budget for San Francisco Public Works includes $60.1 million for “Street Environmental Services.” The budget has nearly doubled over the past five years. Originally, that money, was intended to clean streets, not sidewalks. According to city ordinances, sidewalks are the responsibility of property owners. However, due to the severity of the contamination in San Francisco, Public Works has inherited the problem of washing sidewalks. Nuru estimates that half of his street cleaning budget – about $30 million – goes towards cleaning up feces and needles from homeless encampments and sidewalks.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Diseased-Streets-472430013.html

San Francisco: a city where an average 1 bedroom apt. is $3k a month

And then apparently there's also this:

The 2016-2017 budget for San Francisco Public Works includes $60.1 million for “Street Environmental Services.” The budget has nearly doubled over the past five years. Originally, that money, was intended to clean streets, not sidewalks. According to city ordinances, sidewalks are the responsibility of property owners. However, due to the severity of the contamination in San Francisco, Public Works has inherited the problem of washing sidewalks. Nuru estimates that half of his street cleaning budget – about $30 million – goes towards cleaning up feces and needles from homeless encampments and sidewalks.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Diseased-Streets-472430013.html

San Francisco. A city where dog shit, horse shit, and human shit can all live in harmony.

don't you have public radio? the only station that plays good stuff here is the national public radio

public radio, like the BBC? lol

Can't you stream innernet radio stephen?

This one I think might be up your street, I put this on at work as a neutral station all the time http://back2backfm.net/

Actually that's a great idea, thank you. Even if I can't stream it on the work pc (firewall) I could probably stream it through the b2b app on my phone and just use wifi. ;o

yeah pop radio is pretty dire

i hear it every day when i go to the gym & i'm getting paranoid it's trying to brainwash me. literally every song is some variation of "getting drunk & fucked up at the club & trying to hook up is fun. also spending money on status symbols is a good idea"

most of the beats are completely generic but the ones with good beats are worse. those ones get stuck in my head & feel like they're doing the most work on my psyche. every day after lifting i immediately have to go home & spend four hours listening to looping white noise & filter distortion in order to rebuild my mental defense grid

I don't think whoever's running Goldman Sachs' marketing understands Soundcloud. They've had a 30 minute (I assume podcast-like) track promoted across the mobile and web site all day about investments...I mean, I'm sure some Soundcloud users are worried about investments, but that surely can't be the best way for GS to spend their advertising dollars, can it? The general SC demographic is not people investing with Goldman Sachs...

or am I the one who totally misunderstands? Maybe SC really is full of middle/upper-class moms and dads. The world may never know.

you people like passive listening to music? I can't stand it. Its produced so much generic wallpaper music. I can do it if it is chill ambient so stuff or satie. Even then I have to love it. Middle of the road music. Can't do it. Headache,  I love ASMR. Give me a bob ross video. 

It helps occupy the fidgety part of my brain (I have ADD) while I study or read, so I'm not clicking on various webpages and crap like that.

yeah exactly. It's usually either something very samey like OPN's Rifts or something I've heard a million times before. Music that doesn't even register, just goes through my head

rain can sound like applause, & applause can sound like raining.

radio is mostly diresome in straya;

retchy jingles, 80's prison hits, autotune pap, supermarket hits, whingey talkback, loud ads etc. hurts. harder & meaner than gabba imho.

Ever have someone you know tell you someone you both know has a huge dick. Totally unsolicited. And forever on when you hear that persons name you think big dick? Not in a gay way. Just as a fact. First thing. Big dick. It's like an assault on the brain when someone mentions that. I don't want to know

Ever have someone you know tell you someone you both know has a huge dick. Totally unsolicited. And forever on when you hear that persons name you think big dick? Not in a gay way. Just as a fact. First thing. Big dick. It's like an assault on the brain when someone mentions that. I don't want to know

"i often think of dick, but not in a gay way."

:watmm:

no, its an ear worm. Your mind just goes there when you hear the name. I never think of dicks. Ive confirmed this with others. Maybe you've just been blessed to not endure this assault

Edited by marf

If someone were to make a thread for replies you wrote, but then decided not to post... would people post those unposted replies?  Would it be a self-negating thread?

Anyway, I almost posted "Do Anroids Think of Electric Dicks?" in an attempt to fit in with the current convo here, but then I decided against it because it's just too stupid.  Imagine an entire thread of that shit.  Oh man.

Going through pages and pages of suggested edits and deciding whether or not to take them and then explaining which you have taken or haven't taken is rewarding and also tiring and also takes f o r e v e r

Also every suggested edit makes your genitals shrivel 1mm

I am down to minus figures atm