IGNORED

Your pointless thoughts & observations

Plum

If you listen to Joe Rogan long enough you will start to see how weak his reasoning skills are. He was one of those guys that thought the moon landing was fake.

Adopt the Ernest Hemingway mindset

kill myself?

It's pride, man, pride killed him

I think it was buck shot.

When I type "Louis CK" into the search panel "Aphex Twin - Collapse EP" is the first result.  The Louis CK thread is conspicuously absent.  Anyway, he returned to the stage last night at the Comedy Cellar.  I pointlessly observed all these things.

Interesting nonetheless.

It took me well into the 3rd track of a record I was playing to realize it was playing at 45 instead of 33 all the while I was thinking about what a cool album it was and what a cool music guy I am. The moroniest of morons.  

Interesting nonetheless.

It took me well into the 3rd track of a record I was playing to realize it was playing at 45 instead of 33 all the while I was thinking about what a cool album it was and what a cool music guy I am. The moroniest of morons.  

That happened to me with Neu 75

lol, in my case it was the c side of Incunabula (for shame...) but I was looking at this brilliant pink neon Neu shirt tonight and considering how it might brighten up my flabby guts. 

I wonder to what extent internet slang/memes will influence the study of language genealogy for future generations.  Will linguistics students be referencing their textbooks (tablets/whatever) to learn the origin of "thicc"?   The evolution of language is occurring so rapidly now, and it's far more thoroughly documented than it ever has been.  Every new term has it's own encyclopedia page or 10, like this: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/thicc

It's pretty fascinating tbqh.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

I just farted and unfortunately caught a whiff, and it smells exactly like you'd expect. Air that passed by shit. 

That's why farts stink. They pass by logs of shit. So if you're smelling something there's tiny little poo particles there. 

I wonder to what extent internet slang/memes will influence the study of language genealogy for future generations.  Will linguistics students be referencing their textbooks (tablets/whatever) to learn the origin of "thicc"?   The evolution of language is occurring so rapidly now, and it's far more thoroughly documented than it ever has been.  Every new term has it's own encyclopedia page or 10, like this: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/thicc

I think about this more than I should, and I contend that we should still speak like we're not fucking morons.

I wouldn't say that words like 'thicc', etc. are exactly evolution of language. it has more to do with the medium through which the english language entered a more omnipresent state. I clearly remember when I was in high school (about 15 years ago) and playing with language in this manner is what we did constantly. We also made memes of some sort. But it never entered the 'ether' of presence as it was merely an adolescent thing, confined to notebooks and school furniture, and the interest for it kind of evaporated once we got more older. This sort of slang, i'd say, lives in high school times, and apart from the will to be up to date and cool with the adolescents and understand them, such words will have a much less appreciation in the 'grown-up world'. But sure, some words stick, and the next generation always comes with a couple of new phrases that define them.

Edited by Godwin Austen

...it kind of evaporated once we got more older. This sort of slang, i'd say, lives in high school times, and apart from the will to be up to date and cool with the adolescents and understand them, such words will have a much less appreciation in the 'grown-up world'...

But the interesting thing is that we're in a time where these terms are transcending high school times and extending into the lives of anyone who uses facebook or posts on forums like this one.  Of any age.   Those terms are taking on this bizarro cultural significance that the random slang of my school days didn't.  The future is thicc af.

...it kind of evaporated once we got more older. This sort of slang, i'd say, lives in high school times, and apart from the will to be up to date and cool with the adolescents and understand them, such words will have a much less appreciation in the 'grown-up world'...

But the interesting thing is that we're in a time where these terms are transcending high school times and extending into the lives of anyone who uses facebook or posts on forums like this one.  Of any age .   Those terms are taking on this bizarro cultural significance that the random slang of my school days didn't.  The future is thicc af.

or rather people who never grow out of the "high school age" amirite?

But the interesting thing is that we're in a time where these terms are transcending high school times and extending into the lives of anyone who uses facebook or posts on forums like this one.  Of any age.   Those terms are taking on this bizarro cultural significance that the random slang of my school days didn't.  The future is thicc af.

sure, they are more present everywhere, but they will get 'obsolete' relatively quick anyway.

Does historical linguistics or whatever scholarly area that falls in actually constitute pointless thoughts and observations? It's a whole field of study, surely someone found a point to it. 

lol

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

I remember seeing a YouTube video of an old college dean or superintendent giving a speech on the dangers of buttchugging so anything is possible.

For a solid year or so now, I apparently check the time at 3:03, 6:06, 7:07, 8:08 and 9:09 a LOT. Weird.

I did that with 11:34 for a few years straight (hell upside down). Good times.

So I was grabbing lunch at a small Japanese restaurant today, had a salmon bento box lunch special. Those who saw my captivating update about fried broccoli are already aware of this. A bit of a hipstery sushi place, with an extensive craft beer selection.  I was sitting at a small table by the door.

At some point this little boy walked in with his mom, and he stopped and looked directly at me for a moment -with an intense look of earnestness- and then they kept walking towards the back of the restaurant. Quickly, I realized he was the spitting image of a friend of a friend, named Brandon, just about 30 years or so younger. Now, I submit to you my internal monologue: "what if this is Brandon from the past, here to stop his future self from committing some terrible act... and for some reason I'm the only one that can help him on his quest. What would I do if he actually said something like this to me right now? I'm honestly really not in the mood for something this disruptive today."

Then a sequence of events unfolded in my mind very close to the plot of the Netflix series Dark.

Five minutes passed and then the boy and his mother exited the place. I realized the kid didn't really look like Brandon that much after all, and I think he just had to pee really bad and this was the most convenient place for his mom to bring him to.

yesterday I saw a guy walking his big white labrador, they crossed paths with someone walking a smaller, leaner dog who got all excited, barking and jumping, while the labrador kept on strutting at a slow pace not even looking. It was a reassuring image and a cool dog

Edited by span