IGNORED

Your pointless thoughts & observations

Plum

I've never tried breaking into anyone's house but I've definitely been up to stuff that is equally stab worthy ... seems so random but so final . Colleagues kids are gonna be some nihilist motherfuckers

having some idiot run you over on the sidewalk or having a streetlamp fall on you is random and tragic. Getting stabbed while trying to break into someone's house while a girl's in agony begging for an ambulance is being a moron

no one saying it's random - pointless was the comment. Also , in my area , most break ins don't end in fatalities so there is a disconnect between the act and the consequence. Comparing it to a completely random act like you've described seems somewhat irrelevant - but agreed that it is moronic

sorry, I inferred the randomness part from your comment on the kids' nihilism, which I assumed you meant stems from the randomness of the death but I might have been wrong. Anyway no need to pile on the dead, that was in bad taste

Let's suppose you had to select from two different lifestyles with the same average amount of happiness/misery (zero sum):

1) Life in which you are either mildly happy or content about half of the time and mildly sad the other half on varying days.

2) Life in which you are miserable most of the time but then experience brief moments of almost ecstasy like happiness.

Which one would you choose?

I think I have a tendency to choose number two when given the chance, but sometimes a need for comfort pushes me towards number one. This is maybe a personality trait?

I think I used to be 1, but something went wrong with ma brainthingy in the past 15 years or so.

For example now I'm in Southern Africa, several thousand kilometers outside my comfort zone. Most of the time I'm on the edge and not really comfortable. Sometimes I'm outright scared. But when it's good it's oh so good and I feel very happy, like full body happiness.

Let's suppose you had to select from two different lifestyles with the same average amount of happiness/misery (zero sum):

1) Life in which you are either mildly happy or content about half of the time and mildly sad the other half on varying days.

2) Life in which you are miserable most of the time but then experience brief moments of almost ecstasy like happiness.

I think I have a tendency to choose number two when given the chance, but sometimes a need for comfort pushes me towards number one. This is maybe a personality trait?

Option 2 is just manic depression.

pointless thought: In 100-200 years, people will be able to just press a button and an artificial intelligence will make 100x better music than anyone alive today. I wonder if that will make music like beathoven/aphex/oneohtrix point never and so on and so forth obsolete, since music will basically be 'solved'.  WIll musicians basically die out?

Instead we'll get people posting curated music to 2150's youtube from AI they 'made' by pressing 'create album'.

Or would 'AI' music be looked down upon and not considered music? If that's so, then you'll have these music scandals involved with musicians who claim to make original music but just generate music via AI.

Then as the AI becomes better and better, you'll get these esoteric new genres all about subverting the limits of what AI can create.

It would also be interesting to see what kind of music AI's would make for each other, assuming they are programmed to like music.

Edited by Brisbot

Option 2 is just manic depression.

Maybe if it was happening involuntarily without direct external factors, but I didn't mean it like that.

Consider them like two different career options, for example:

1) An office job, let's say in sales, where you lose a little or win a little daily and feel happy or sad based on your day to day performance. But highs and lows aren't that big. 

2) Scientist working on a new field. Endless hours, constant stress, complete uncertainty if your work will ever amount to anything or be recognized in any way with moments of success few and far in between. But when you finally succeed in something and break through it's like an ecstatic joy for a while.

pointless thought: In 100-200 years, people will be able to just press a button and an artificial intelligence will make 100x better music than anyone alive today. I wonder if that will make music like beathoven/aphex/oneohtrix point never and so on and so forth obsolete, since music will basically be 'solved'.  WIll musicians basically die out?

Instead we'll get people posting curated music to 2150's youtube from AI they 'made' by pressing 'create album'.

Or would 'AI' music be looked down upon and not considered music? If that's so, then you'll have these music scandals involved with musicians who claim to make original music but just generate music via AI.

Then as the AI becomes better and better, you'll get these esoteric new genres all about subverting the limits of what AI can create.

It would also be interesting to see what kind of music AI's would make for each other, assuming they are programmed to like music.

naw, there`s always going to be the left-field  . while everyone else hits play they will be banging rocks together...

'Hair of the dog' just delays the rest of the hangover, in my experience.

It makes the hangover last longer for sure, but it can smooth out the roughest parts. Really depends on how bad the hangover is and do you just want to get rid of it fast and hard or smooth and over a long time. (haha, sexual)