IGNORED

Your pointless thoughts & observations

Plum

Over the past few months I’ve been struggling with a pretty major dilemma that I honestly have no idea how to deal with. I’ve been involved with someone for almost 3 years at this point and while they’ve struggled with personal demons ever since I’ve known them, it’s starting to become an extreme burden on me personally. Out of respect of their privacy I won’t go into specifics about the problems they’re facing, but I will say that this person’s mental state has been severely deteriorating over the last year. While I am very sensitive and understanding of the immense problems they have been dealing with, it’s gotten to the point where both of our lives are being put to a screeching halt due to complications with mental illness. I am very afraid of moving on from this person because of the effect it might have on them and myself, but I have no clue what to do.

Sorry if 2 personal 4 watmm, but some advice would really help right now.

you gotta move on m8, break contact and think about yourself

Over the past few months I’ve been struggling with a pretty major dilemma that I honestly have no idea how to deal with. I’ve been involved with someone for almost 3 years at this point and while they’ve struggled with personal demons ever since I’ve known them, it’s starting to become an extreme burden on me personally. Out of respect of their privacy I won’t go into specifics about the problems they’re facing, but I will say that this person’s mental state has been severely deteriorating over the last year. While I am very sensitive and understanding of the immense problems they have been dealing with, it’s gotten to the point where both of our lives are being put to a screeching halt due to complications with mental illness. I am very afraid of moving on from this person because of the effect it might have on them and myself, but I have no clue what to do.

Sorry if 2 personal 4 watmm, but some advice would really help right now.

Decide first if its worth you losing yourself/your stability/your money/your time/your hopes/your dreams/etc for this person, even if only temporarily (another months, another 6 months, maybe you're interested in keeping with this person forever, but consider the shorter time frames at least), and if it is, if you care for them that much, then go for it, go all in, and let them know, and make sure you try as hard as you can manage. If you decide otherwise, you need to tell them and cut them out of your life, partially or entirely, as quickly and painlessly as possible, for their sake and yours of course.

I don't think that's any more than you already knew, but I say it because that decision is difficult but it's the crux of the situation. Make that decision and the rest will follow, in theory. I hope things get better for you/both of you, whatever you choose, and whatever 'better' is in this case.

Edited by auxien

When I was in primary school, oftentimes in the morning or after school I'd turn on the TV, open up teletext and just watch the seconds pass by on the digital clock at the top of the screen for several minutes. I found it oddly soothing or even hypnotizing I guess? Anyway, I would do this so often that I DISTINCTLY remember how long a second felt to me at the time. When I do the same now, a second feels significantly faster. It's so unmistakable that it's almost eerie. My cognitive functions are slowing down man. And if you read what I just wrote about my life, you'd know they never were very acute to begin with.

Edited by Pipenik

at the time, teletext was mental, great UX, very dopamine. now you're used to feeds of more dynamic content. that's at least one reason. but tbh times goes about 400% faster for me than it used to. so there is that too, UX all considered

thanks for the advice; yer a wise lot. Going to counseling and putting flame retardant vests on me cats will hopefully help.

wait, is there actually pet abuse involved here? cos if there is, I would relocate them temporarily to prevent further abuse while this stuff is sorted out.

thanks for the advice; yer a wise lot. Going to counseling and putting flame retardant vests on me cats will hopefully help.

wait, is there actually pet abuse involved here? cos if there is, I would relocate them temporarily to prevent further abuse while this stuff is sorted out.

^ before they set your house and cats on fire

nah, juts Ivan

what the fuck is this open mouth exuberant psychotic looking smile that white guys with receding hairlines and patchy beards and black frame glasses do in literally every fucking photo they take?

CmyXY4jWcAAt9J5.jpg

fvlM1xO.jpg

DCiyLkFXcAAj2Ox.jpg

terrible

the guy on the right in the second photo is half-assing it & that makes it even worse somehow

i feel like this is just another manifestation of "my life is an ironic hellscape devoid of meaning or emotional resonance & thus i must maintain this constant facade of being a wacky hedonistic party animal riding the high of late-capitalism, lest i be forced to face the reality that my existence & pursuits are largely superfluous" syndrome

at the time, teletext was mental, great UX, very dopamine. now you're used to feeds of more dynamic content. that's at least one reason. but tbh times goes about 400% faster for me than it used to. so there is that too, UX all considered

Yeah well, I've also derived similar observations from comparing my current perceptive abilities to memories of those from a time when I was already rotting my brains away with mindless full-time internet browsing. It's a little harder to describe but I've stumbled upon some internet videos I remember having watched when I was 13-16 and get these flashbacks of registering certain microexpressions or intonations or mannerisms of the people in them - or just certain sounds, camera movements or cuts, fine details like that. I remember them really sticking out or being apparent in my mind back then. However watching the same videos now, those things are so underwhelmingly fast and subtle that I'd never notice them if I didn't know to expect them. I guess no joke that the teenage brain is really soaking up information like a submerged sponge. On the flipside though, I understand the intended content of the videos better now since my English skills have improved (we're talking interviews and whatnot). It's still depressing as hell to think that instead of gathering valuable real life experiences and lessons like you're supposed to at that age I was hardwiring dank memes to my brain.

after loling at Salem on this forum for years I think I have actually come to like them. or a few tracks off King Night, at least. Trapdoor is the one I can't quit, and I was charmed by that because of the way it was used in A Place Beyond The Pines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93IxEsi6Flc

I also like Sick, and that too won me because someone mixed it up with Fallen Angels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnh4M2BL6c8

idk I just like the hazy, wasted, nihilistic charm of it. their live clip from Fader Fort that did the rounds years ago is still highly lolworthy of course, and Jack Donoghue could never sound as good live as he does on t'record simply because he doesn't have that voice. you wouldn't call them an excellent band. but still...

more generally, I find that music that I'm meh about at first can really grab me if I see it paired well with visuals, either in film or in video games or whatever. it's like seeing it in action or in a certain context gives you a new view on it that suddenly makes you dig it.

terrible

the guy on the right in the second photo is half-assing it & that makes it even worse somehow

i feel like this is just another manifestation of "my life is an ironic hellscape devoid of meaning or emotional resonance & thus i must maintain this constant facade of being a wacky hedonistic party animal riding the high of late-capitalism, lest i be forced to face the reality that my existence & pursuits are largely superfluous" syndrome

Oh god. That's at 4th and Folsom st. in San Francisco. Those fuckers are close to me.

what the fuck is this open mouth exuberant psychotic looking smile that white guys with receding hairlines and patchy beards and black frame glasses do in literally every fucking photo they take?

fvlM1xO.jpg

The guy in the middle is Brad Muir who used to work for Double Fine and now works for Valve.

He’s famous for his smile/mouth, so that at least explains HIS expression

The guy in the middle is Brad Muir who used to work for Double Fine and now works for Valve.

He’s famous for his smile/mouth, so that at least explains HIS expression

wait he's famous for his mouth?

Not for what he did for DF or Valve? He should be a mouth model.

:mellow:

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj